Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rough estimation for a cost?

• 27-12-2020 4:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

What might it cost for a plumber to install a shower pump to pump the water at high pressure (hotel style shower) from the copper tank to a shower over the bath; the stop of a shower head will be at about the same level as the water outet on the header tank as both are located upstairs, a pump is thus necessary.

An electric shower won't work for now as this would necessitate an entire house rewire, late seventies amateur wiring job and totally condemned. The house will be demolished and fully rebuilt over the late summer months ahead and this is a fast job to avoid having to rent a place from Jan to August.

The header tank is also too small with a 125L capacity and the water supply can't refill quickly enough, I have a much larger tank and my plan is to mount it outside externally with it then filling the smaller tank inside.

I will get a carpenter to build a frame to support the tank and copper cylinder as all of this must be removed from its current awkward location and I'll just set it up in a corner of a spare room which acts as a closet space, since everything will have a six month life it is fuction over form.

The copper cylinder is exactly like this one (pic from another thread here).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=536494&d=1608298186

I have no idea of prices other than it likely won't come cheap.

A family member recently renovated her bathroom, retiled, new electric Mira Elite, fancy mirror, heated towel rack. Anyway the plumber came out one morning and stripped out the old shower, toilet washbasin, radiator, fitted blanks etc and also moved a radiator in a bedroom. My cousin himself and the tiler stripped the old tiles and did the prep work, Plumber installed new shower tray and Tiler did the tiling and plumber came back and put in the shower, new washbasin, new radiator, new towelrack, new toilet.

All fittings and parts was supplied by my cousin and Plumber charged €1,000 for his labour and the few fittings, screws etc. he used for what was 8 hours work split across two half days.

I don't know how this price compares but his work was very good and he came without a long wait and was reliable on time. I am thinking to get him to do the same job and I could see it being around a days work since its a temporary rig up and me and a carpenter will have as much of the job done as possible before hand. Like my cousin I'd buy the parts and let him do the labour. I hope I don't need to replace the old style copper cylinder.

Parts I'll need
    250L plastic water tank, (I have already).
    Pressure Pump with 13amp 3 pin plug.
    Glass shower door for bath
    Shower mixer set to replace hot and cold taps over bath
    Plumber will supply the qualpex needed.
    External wall brackets to hold up new tank outside, I'll get these welded and bolt them onto the stone gable.

I am budgeting €2k total.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Will the external tank not... Freeze?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

listermint wrote: »
    Will the external tank not... Freeze?!

We are half way through winter already, as this is just a temporary measure, I haven't given much thought to the freeze problem, I wanted to rig the larger tank up outside since there is no space inside for one larger tank atop the smaller tank due to ceiling height without going up into the tiny crawl space in the dirty attic space. I have very weak water pressure and with the two tanks of 250L and 125L I would have a good enough reserve for to run the shower or fill the bath. Currently I have to fill the bath with cold water, then wait maybe 20-30mins for the small capacity header tank to refill before drawing in the hot water to make for a nice temp bath. Water is piped from a stream up the mountain near the house.

In the greater plan for a new house and rebuild will be to have maybe a large water tank in the attic of like 1,000l sitting on some H-steel or else to dig a few hundred metres of a new trench and lay a new pipe and build a proper concrete tank in situ on the stream.

Advertisement