Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conti gp5000's or vittoria corsa g2.0's

Options
  • 27-12-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Looking at getting new tyres for the bike what would all you prefer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Looking at getting new tyres for the bike what would all you prefer.

I looked at both when I was getting my latest set of tires. From a performance point of view, the Gp5k was lighter but the Vittorias had lower rolling resistance.

Ended up getting the GP5000’s on sale (with Mantel) for like 60 quid for a pair so they were significantly less than the Vittorias.

Very happy with them so far, better than the 4000’s I have had before but I know some people have issues with the durability of them

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I looked at both when I was getting my latest set of tires. From a performance point of view, the Gp5k was lighter but the Vittorias had lower rolling resistance.

Ended up getting the GP5000’s on sale (with Mantel) for like 60 quid for a pair so they were significantly less than the Vittorias.

Very happy with them so far, better than the 4000’s I have had before but I know some people have issues with the durability of them

Both coming in around 90quid a pair in the "sales" gonna fit them to a set of Zondas

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Conti gp 5000 are dirt. They are probably good on Spanish roads that are smooth as silk but awful over here. Very poor puncture protection on them. They do roll nice though but I took mine off and gave them away for free after a couple of months.

Conti 4 seasons are much better. Roll just as good and far more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have Conti Gp5000's on 3 bikes! (Winter bike and two summer bikes) Great tyre. Just beware that the 5000's are difficult to fit/remove on some wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have Conti Gp5000's on 3 bikes! (Winter bike and two summer bikes) Great tyre. Just beware that the 5000's are difficult to fit/remove on some wheels.

This, mounting them on my Novatec’s used all my tire levers and most of my curse words too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

GP5000's are a curse to fit on some rims.. especially the tubeless. I've gone tubeless back in August and I have to admit they've been considerably comfier than my GP 4 Seasons.

The GP5000's do appear "softer" than the 4 Seasons too and already have a worrying few cuts that I do wonder if sealant will save if they punch through.

Overall though if I was going back to tubed then I would go 4 Seasons again.. great tyres and no punctures in 2 years.

No experience of the Vittoria's in recent years.. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114579360

Talking about the tubeless version but the ordinary version may not be too different

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love the GP5000s but just to be clear, either you accept that they are racing tyres or you don't. They have incredible grip, rolling resistance is lower than the GP4000sII although not by much but they do not have the same puncture resistance/protection. I really like them but other than commuting a few times to make sure they are OK before a race, I would trust the GP4000SII as a commuter tyre alot more.

The big question Kevin shouldn't be what tyres are preferred, but what are you doing with them? Racing, commuting, audax, sportive and so on. Give an indication of mileage, trip type etc. and people might be better suited to give advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love the GP5000s but just to be clear, either you accept that they are racing tyres or you don't. They have incredible grip, rolling resistance is lower than the GP4000sII although not by much but they do not have the same puncture resistance/protection. I really like them but other than commuting a few times to make sure they are OK before a race, I would trust the GP4000SII as a commuter tyre alot more.

The big question Kevin shouldn't be what tyres are preferred, but what are you doing with them? Racing, commuting, audax, sportive and so on. Give an indication of mileage, trip type etc. and people might be better suited to give advice.

I am looking to do a few of the league races this year and generally looking for that extra bit of marginal gains when trying it out. I'm not the fastest person in the world but enjoying my progress over the last two years. I enjoy the fast club spins on the weekend and pushing myself when I go out on my own.
    I like the look of the vittoria tyres but am aware of the durability issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am looking to do a few of the league races this year and generally looking for that extra bit of marginal gains when trying it out. I'm not the fastest person in the world but enjoying my progress over the last two years. I enjoy the fast club spins on the weekend and pushing myself when I go out on my own.
    I like the look of the vittoria tyres but am aware of the durability issues.

Then either will do, if your tubeless, I can't give advice but if it's not, I'd pick the GP5000, I have found them excellent for what you describe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement