Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Surge and BIOS access issues

Options
  • 27-12-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help. I'm not sure whether or not my two issues are related or not which is why I am including both here instead of two different threads. (If they need two separate posts let me know)

System Info

Motherboard: ASUSZ87-Pro - BIOS Version 10.07 (05/17/13)
    Power Supply: CoolerMaster V650 80+ Gold
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 8GB Cosair Vengence
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Other: 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 Disc Drive.

Issue #1 - PSU

On two occasions while Playing F1 2019 game the PC restarted itself out of nowhere. POST told me it was due to a power surge. I put the first one down to a once off and maybe there generically was a surge in the house. After the second one I knew something was wrong. A third restart happened a few days later (not playing the game) and I seemed to be unable to turn the machine back on. Tried again the next day by removing everything except board and slowly added stuff back in except GPU. Today the machine did another restart randomly (system was idle with nothing open and I have taken out the Graphics Card out of the machine so only using iGPU). POST then gave me the specific error "ASUS Anti-Surge Was Triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

Before I go out and by a new PSU - is there anything else that could be causing this issue? I have Hardware Monitor downloaded but I have no idea how to read it to see whether there is unusual power activity.

I was going to check in my BIOS for any sign of Power issues but this leads me to issue #2.

Issue #2 - Motherboard.

I cannot boot into my BIOS. When I press DEL or F2 the screen goes black as if it's about to load but does nothing, I have to hard shutdown and start again to boot to Windows

Troubleshooting done:

- Reset CMOS with Jumpers

- Reset CMOS by removing battery for 5 mins

- Turn off Fast Boot

- Attempted to update BIOS to the last version that was released and get error ( This tool is for BIOS Update to support new Intel 4th Gen Core processors. please ensure that the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver is properly installed before using this. With a Yes and No options but Yes is greyed out.)

- Intel Management Engine Interface driver is installed and working and update as per Device Manager

Any ideas on the above would be most helpful. If the consensus is a new PSU is needed then can anyone recommend a good replacement for the current one, keeping in mind the GPU I'm using? I had research some a while but any one that seemed good and for a good price had someone saying there was bad coil noise or had bad reliability.

Thanks.

Advertisement