Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn sausages no longer taste as nice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Haven't noticed any changes in them and I'm eating them most weekends for year's now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In my experience, butcher sausages can be very inconsistent. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes too salty, sometimes too wet, etc.
    And I'm going on butchers famous for their sausages.
    Obviously, I can't speak for all butchers.

I like the sausage and pudding from the butcher I use, but fair point. One thing that's surprising too is the difference in price between them and premium supermarket brands.

Not saying the premium brands mentioned are crap as such but that the fawning accolades are as much down to Erin Soup Type Irish Childhood Retro tropes as objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Zoot1530

Need to lose the name , these are not the same product now. I went to Turkey in 2012 and a café owner said don't worry we have SuperQuinn sausages. They where know worldwide. The product should be renamed as Supervalu Sausages. Eammon , Stephen, step in here please and protect the brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The issue with SuperValu is they’re not a single owner. They’re a symbol group. So you’ve different focuses from different stores. Some of the SuperValu stores are targeting the foodier consumer, others aren’t. That’s not necessarily consistent across the brand.

Some of the Cork City stores that were always SuperValu are absolutely top notch. Some of the rural SuperValus and the older Dublin ones are really mediocre.

That being said the same applies to Dunnes. You get stores that seem to be competing more with Aldi / Lidl and others that are probably some of the most gourmet supermarkets anywhere and would outdo a London Waitrose.

Tesco can be hit and miss too. None of their stores are a pleasure to shop in. Most feel like blandness and a bit like the decor of the interior of a 1980s fridge, but they get the job done.

I find M&S goes though phases too. I stopped shopping there when they seemed to go though a phase of Brexit inspired British nostalgia food. Has that worn off?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Yip , same here , gave up on them a good while ago too , rotten they are now , no different to any supermarket sausage .
    Butchers for me now .

Yoda feels the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah we got some of the Superquinn sausages recently and they didn't taste as nice as I had remembered them.
    However, Olhausen would be my default sausages if I'm buying a pack of them. Apart from that, the local butcher makes excellent ones, as well as nice pudding.
    If his own stuff isn't available, I'd buy Kelly's.
    Our local SuperValu is huge (Lucan). I think it's their flagship store and the stock selection is superior even to some Dunnes Stores in my opinion (but not the likes of Blanchardstown).

SuperValu’s that were always a SuperValu are sh1te.
    The ones that were previously Superquinn’s are still decent enough. Particularly for fresh bread.

You've been in all it at least most of their stores to claim that?

I can think of a few outstanding outlets that were always supervalu.and never superquinn... Ryan's in glanmire and grange...& Condrons in Clane. Ryan's in togher was previously something else decades ago.... Their bakery is excellent but the store is a tad cramped.

The superquinn love in is often wannabes thinking they were great in their grad gigs and credit union funded Golf back in the boom.

Yes, individual sv stores can be brilliant.
    Clonakilty, skibbereen, etc but the one in Cork City Centre is rubbish and has been since sv took it over.
    If the sq stores were taken over by enterprising franchisees, they might have fared better but sv took over them directly. I guess customers saw a big disimprovement. Meanwhile, some sv stores are better now than any sq ones were.

I think the issue in that one is probably playing the role of city centre provisions store. Tesco Paul Street and Dunnes Patrick’s Street (food section seems like an afterthought at an excellent clothes and homewares store) aren’t great either. I actually find Paul Street unpleasant to shop in and avoid it just because of the drab layout. Reminds me a bit of grim, dated supermarkets in central Brussels.

M&S (literally next door) to SuperValu takes the premium stuff and if you want proper food shopping the English Market is there. I always feel the Cork City Center supermarkets are more like places you might go to pick up milk and washing powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Augeo wrote: »
    You've been in all it at least most of their stores to claim that?

I can think of a few outstanding outlets that were always supervalu.and never superquinn... Ryan's in glanmire and grange...& Condrons in Clane. Ryan's in togher was previously something else decades ago.... Their bakery is excellent but the store is a tad cramped.

The superquinn love in is often wannabes thinking they were great in their grad gigs and credit union funded Golf back in the boom.

SV in Balinteer and Celbridge is OK too.

If I was grabbing supermarket sausages myself, I'd usually go with Tesco, that own brand premium range they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Planet X wrote: »
    Have been very tempted to start making my own sausages........initial outlay can be a bit stiff, for good equipment from the likes of,

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-equipment.html

.....I know it would be a game changer but I've been holding off for a few years now.

Hmmmmm.........

So many gadgets knocking around the kitchen.......I hate that. Pasta rollers, tortilla maker, etc etc etc

You dont really need gadgets. Just do them skinless and make yourself. My Mum used to make homemade sausages with a Darina Allen recipe. Amazing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I do think though we are looking back at Superquinn with our 80s and 90s glasses on.

They were good in their day and they were very innovative, I mean they launched hand held self scan nearly a quarter of a century ago and Tesco is going on about it now like they just invented it. Their online shopping also launched over 20 years ago.

In terms of food they pioneered a lot of stuff in the Irish market, often taking their lead from what was going on in premium stores in North America, Australia and on the continent.

However, I think if you put a 1990s Superquinn store against a 2020s premium supermarket, it would be like chalk and cheese. Our standards have gone way up. We are a lot foodier.

I grew up with SuperValu Blackrock and Knocklyon being regular features of shopping, but I remember using the Blackrock store probably in about 2005 and being fairly underwhelmed, and that was after spell of being abroad and being in Cork.

Also the low price end of the market has been improved a lot by Lidl and Aldi. That was once dominated by Yellow Pack and Dunnes when Dunnes was really basic. Dunnes have absolutely transformed certain stores and gone way up market and not just superficially either. The products are top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

For standard brand I go Denny Gold medal cook easily and I like the taste and texture.
    I got lidl own brand a few months ago Glensallagh, I wouldnt give them to someone else's dog. Awful things.
    Got sausages from a butcher's a few weeks ago and they were lovely, from the same butcher's last week and not nearly so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I'm a fan of the Kearns sausages or my local butchers but superquinn sausages have gone to shyte

I think there are a few items though that Irish people bang on about out of pure nostalgia rather than that they’re exceptional. I’d add Taytos to that list. They don’t live up to the hype and there are far better Irish crisps that really do. It’s the same with all the Kimberly, Mikado and Coconut Cream biscuits. I think we are remembering childhood treats and tastes have moved on. I’m not convinced the products aren’t as good as they used to be.

Tastes are as much about context as they are about ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Got sausages from a butcher's a few weeks ago and they were lovely, from the same butcher's last week and not nearly so nice.

This is the problem I outlined.
    I think these really small batch mixes can be inconsistent. Too much of "a handful of this and a pinch of that".
    Someone mentioned fx Buckley's. I'd say they are big enough to have fairly industrialised central production, giving consistency.

Not saying that you can't make good small batch sausages but you really need to weigh and measure everything if you want consistency.

This is a very popular thread, isn't it. Sausages mean a lot to Irish folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

We like the Athea Black Pudding and Tesco Cumberland sausages. Usually best to check that sausages are at least 80% pork so there's not too much room left for additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Zoot1530 wrote: »
    To make 2020 even worse, the Superquinn Sausage has changed, yuk. the recipe
    must have been altered. not nice at all. Shame on you supervalu/musgraves or whoever you are.

Their gone shyte. Stopped buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Anascaul sausages and pudding is lovely. Usually bring home a load when I'm down that way.
    Must call them to see if they have a retailer anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I think there are a few items though that Irish people bang on about out of pure nostalgia rather than that they’re exceptional. I’d add Taytos to that list. They don’t live up to the hype and there are far better Irish crisps that really do. It’s the same with all the Kimberly, Mikado and Coconut Cream biscuits. I think we are remembering childhood treats and tastes have moved on. I’m not convinced the products aren’t as good as they used to be.

Tastes are as much about context as they are about ingredients.
    There may be something in what you say, however many items have changed both in content and quantity. Shrinkflation has been proved. The Kit Kat has a different chocolate that once upon a time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd noticed this too, the last vestiges of Superquinn are gone. Superquinn's bakery, deli etc were quality - SuperValu despite any attempt is simply not but they think they can charge even more for that, so naturally they get none of my business.

You can be fairly sure MSVC having a very high market share is down to Centra convenience stores and the rural market where SV is often the only large shop in a down other than Lidl or Aldi which many still don't like.

Re the MSG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-POAKKH5IM very good video on why the "backlash" mentioned is not particularly justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the comment on the thread asserting that the consumer in Ireland has become a lot more “foodier” I take that to mean interested in better food...

I work travelling around a large section of Leinster Stocking a well known convenience store group

I’ve said this on other threads but basically what I would consider the cheapest nastiest sausages are often the market best seller.

There was a guy on joe Duffy few weeks ago complaining that local ppl did not support his gourmet sausages.

I said on the thread that actually shop owners enquire with us if there are any new even cheaper sausage brands they can stock as the cheap ones are almost always the best sellers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just on the comment on the thread asserting that the consumer in Ireland has become a lot more goodier and interested in better food...

I work travelling around a large section of Leinster Stocking a well known convenience store group

I’ve said this on other threads but basically what I would consider the cheapest nastiest sausages are often the market best seller.

There was a guy on joe Duffy few weeks ago complaining that local ppl did not support his gourmet sausages.

I said on the thread that actually shop owners enquire with us if there are any new even cheaper sausage brands they can stock as the cheap ones are almost always the best sellers

Having worked in a convenience store years ago in what would be considered a leafy suburb (so it probably wasn't a cost thing) - and we had maybe 5 or 6 different brands to choose from - Kearns' were the best sellers by a country mile. At this time of year you'd have to at least double the shelf space given to them.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'd noticed this too, the last vestiges of Superquinn are gone. Superquinn's bakery, deli etc were quality - SuperValu despite any attempt is simply not but they think they can charge even more for that, so naturally they get none of my business.

You can be fairly sure MSVC having a very high market share is down to Centra convenience stores and the rural market where SV is often the only large shop in a down other than Lidl or Aldi which many still don't like.

Re the MSG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-POAKKH5IM very good video on why the "backlash" mentioned is not particularly justified.

I think it’s very dependent on the operator of the franchise.

I’m within a short drive of two completely revamped Dunnes, which are excellent, M&S Foodhall, Tesco (including a Tesco Extra), Lidl, Aldi and two SuperValus one of which is extremely good - would be where I go for obscure items - they even stock quails eggs. Their in store bakery etc is all extremely good.

For serious food, I go to the English Market though. There just isn’t a comparison between that and supermarkets. Also some of the independent wholefood / vegetarian places are phenomenal. The Quay Coop in Cork for example is worth a mention.

It’s hard to generalise about any of the chains, particularly SuperValu as it’s not really a chain but jure a symbol group. When I lived in Dublin Tesco was the disappointment usually. Sandymount store is just awful and Merrion isn’t great, which is surprising given where it is and Superquinn in Blackrock was looking tired at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had some of these today I didn't notice any difference tbh still lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theyre definitely saltier than they were, not a fan at all these days.

still a part of me loves denny gold medal , its probably more a childhood nostalgia but theyre still perfect for a sausage sandwich or a hangover fry.

Not a huge fan of the ever increasing size of sausages from other providers, any recommendations to try that aren't gigantic bratwurst sized sausages ?

I don’t know if it’s just that other supermarkets are catching up, but I’m less and less impressed with M&S.

Unless you’re massively interested in ready meals, I don’t really see what the draw is. They have the odd quirky item, but most of it doesn’t really do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s just that other supermarkets are catching up, but I’m less and less impressed with M&S.

Unless you’re massively interested in ready meals, I don’t really see what the draw is. They have the odd quirky item, but most of it doesn’t really do it for me.

+1 its Iceland for the middle classes. Party food and frozen dinners.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For years people raved about Superquinn sausages, but for some reason I'd never actually had them until I bought some a couple of years ago. What a massive let down they were, completely unremarkable and lacking in any sort of flavour. If the flavour changed a few years ago as has been mentioned previously, presumably these were post-change, because I can't see why anyone would rave about them. We'd usually buy Clonakilty, and had some Kearns a while back which were very good. But the best you can buy, imo, are James Whelan's sausages. Just had some a few minutes ago and there's a proper spicy kick from them. Well worth picking up some if you have one of their shops nearby.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    For years people raved about Superquinn sausages,....... I can't see why anyone would rave about them. ......

It was IMO trying to appear a tad posh. Superquinn weren't a ballymun or finglas thing.

Advertisement