Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn sausages no longer taste as nice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Augeo wrote: »
    It was IMO trying to appear a tad posh. Superquinn weren't a ballymun or finglas thing.

Superquinn had a store in Finglas - one of their early ones - to which they ran minibuses from Ballymun.

L1011 wrote: »
    Superquinn had a store in Finglas - one of their early ones - to which they ran minibuses from Ballymun.

Not surprised youre a sausage industry expert TBH.
    My post was not to be taken in the literal sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zaph wrote: »
    For years people raved about Superquinn sausages, but for some reason I'd never actually had them until I bought some a couple of years ago. What a massive let down they were, completely unremarkable and lacking in any sort of flavour. If the flavour changed a few years ago as has been mentioned previously, presumably these were post-change, because I can't see why anyone would rave about them. We'd usually buy Clonakilty, and had some Kearns a while back which were very good. But the best you can buy, imo, are James Whelan's sausages. Just had some a few minutes ago and there's a proper spicy kick from them. Well worth picking up some if you have one of their shops nearby.

Superquinn sausages were always pretty average. They had plenty of MSG and white pepper to get them to be tasty, but their pork content is shockingly low. Same for most Irish sausages.

I always bought whatever sausages my butcher sold.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Augeo wrote: »
    It was IMO trying to appear a tad posh. Superquinn weren't a ballymun or finglas thing.

Finglas store was there from 1965. Well before a lot of the other ones.

So in fact it was VERY MUCH a Finglas thing!

Hrmmmpphhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

L1011 wrote: »

They were an anchor tenant in Northside (Bong!) Northside (Bong) the Great, Great Shopping Centre too.

It was very much a Northside company, based in Sutton originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

AutoTuning wrote: »
    They were an anchor tenant in Northside (Bong!) Northside (Bong) the Great, Great Shopping Centre too.

And that's gone further downhill lately than the sausages.

Clonakilty are made by Mallons and most of the stuff comes out of their place is good.

sdanseo wrote: »
    And that's gone further downhill lately than the sausages.

I’m not sure it was ever uphill in the first place.

I suspect it’s been wiped out by the growth of more modern centres like Omni and Pavillons. A lot of the early shopping centres never quite made the transition to modernity.

What I don’t get though is that SuperValu is really missing a trick by not putting serious effort into the Superquinn sausages and maybe pushing some of that legacy. Whether the flavour was real or sprinkled with nostalgia doesn’t really matter. It was a loved brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    After trying a few we now like either Tesco finest or Aldi specially selected. Both have a high pork content.

The Tesco ones will do but they're no match for the Aldi ones.

There’s also an upper limit on the pork content. You need some fat and other ingredients sausage or it will taste very heavy too.

Good ingredients and excellent flavouring is what defines them.

• Advertisement

I like the long skinny Aldi ones, think there’s 9 in a pack that sit side by side rather than being linked. Haven’t got them in ages due to it being a nightmare to shop in at the minute, but there’s a lovely flavour off them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Augeo, rethink your posting style before replying in this thread again please.

There’s also an upper limit on the pork content. You need some fat and other ingredients sausage or it will taste very heavy too.

Good ingredients and excellent flavouring is what defines them.

The upper limit is about 80% in my experience. Super Quinn sausages are about half that.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I really like Rudds sausages and Mallons ( they have 2 types, one with 80% pork and a cheaper lower pork version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Brian? wrote: »
    The upper limit is about 80% in my experience. Super Quinn sausages are about half that.

On their website they are showing as 80%.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1349780001

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

odyssey06 wrote: »

They are definitely 80% still. Jan Russell and M&S do sausages with 90+% pork content but 80% is the norm for "high end" supermarket sausages. Fat and other ingredients tend to make then "tastier" to some people though so it depends what you are looking for I guess.

High pork content and quality is key for me, but everyone is different. I'd wager that a lot of butcher sausages are less than 80% unless the advertise it explicitly - doesn't make them bad though, depends what you want.

I note it still mentions MSG

That’s a surprise. Could be the increase in quality that’s putting people off.

they/them/theirs

I note it still mentions MSG

I have no problem problem with msg at all. I honestly haven’t had them in years, no way were the old ones 80% pork. I’d say the extra pork content is the change in flavour people are complaining about.

they/them/theirs

That’s not entirely impossible. Fattier sausages can taste better.

I had a gourmet sausage recently that just tasted like shredded pork chop. Probably 90%+ pork but I’d rather have just had the pork chop lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not a huge fan of the ever increasing size of sausages from other providers, any recommendations to try that aren't gigantic bratwurst sized sausages ?

I'd agree with the posters that recommend the Tesco premium (Finest) range for supermarket sausages. Usually on 2 x offers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That’s not entirely impossible. Fattier sausages can taste better.

I had a gourmet sausage recently that just tasted like shredded pork chop. Probably 90%+ pork but I’d rather have just had the pork chop lol

People are into leaner meat for health reasons but a lot of taste often comes from the fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'd agree with the posters that recommend the Tesco premium (Finest) range for supermarket sausages. Usually on 2 x offers as well.

I did give the paprika and honey ones a go last week, they wouldn't be for every fry but my christ theyre tasty

They’re nice chopped up into pasta or in a casserole but paprika is an abomination in a fry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They were always 80% afaik - a comment here on this post from 2013 indicates they were 80% back then anyway
    https://www.thejournal.ie/superquinn-sausages-in-supervalu-now-1133865-Oct2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A brand I used to eat, (after much research ha), was Truly Irish. It had 80% pork but I see it's 75% now. Both their sausages and rashers were the best.
    https://www.trulyirish.ie/meats/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

The difference is their are only about 3 large produces of sausages in ROI now, who make and pack most brands. Superqiunn outsourced production before they where sold, to Olhausen IIRC, but they are long gone now, only the brand remains. Kerry now make the seasoning mix for just about everyone, so differences between brands much less then years ago. Also the requirements for lower sodium and phosphates level have impacted taste. I'm sure I couldn't pick out a superquinn sausage now vs others in a taste test, but they did have a uniqueness back in the 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have no problem problem with msg at all. I honestly haven’t had them in years, no way were the old ones 80% pork. I’d say the extra pork content is the change in flavour people are complaining about.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about but you just keep digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

What is all the fuss about these sausages.It is excellent hype going back to Fergal's days.A bit like Tayto and Cadbury's choclate(from Coolock not UK as now-choclate,that is).They did have a certain flavour but nothing to cross the planet for.Were crap b4 Musgrave's bought SQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Donnybrook Fair have the best sausages, they have the old O'Gormans recipe and they get Granby butchers to make them to that spec. You have to get them from behind the butcher counter, the prepacked ones are different.

The Granby shop in Parnell square will not sell them and their own sausages are just not as nice.

Sausages have to be eaten within 48 hours of being ground or they will lose the natural sweetness of the pork IMO.

Advertisement