Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn sausages no longer taste as nice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Lidl handtied sausages are pretty decent tbh. Superquinn are and were overated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is no offal in Clonakilty black pudding, not tripe, for that matter.

I think blood is technically offal. I like offal though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I refuse to go dictionary :) , but blood seems to me to be in a category of its own

In the USA, I think they call offal "organ meat". Seems about right: heart, liver, brain, whatever, but blood doesn't fit with that lot.

Main point. though, ain't no tripe in Clonakilty.

Lidl handtied sausages are pretty decent tbh. Superquinn are and were overated.

I wonder if they were swapped in the packs what would people think though. Be interesting I’d say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Clonakilty are my favourite, or the sausages yer man w/ the Quarrymount market stalls sells (those are unreal but you can't get em in Tesco).

I tried SQ about 12 years ago when I first moved to Dublin and I had zero idea why ppl thought they were great. (Cork never had SQ).

Some of the best sausages I had were tesco value brand jumbo sausages, marinated in BBQ sauce and cooked on one of those disposable BBQ's out the back of my friend's house on college road. I don't remember if pork was even listed on the pack, but they really did hit the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Bellejelles

I like lidle or aldi
    Galtee has gone crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I am not a vegetarian or even an animal rights activist but...

I have given up eating sausages out of my diet completely, not that I ever ate them often.

I think they are by and large complete muck and aren't good for your health.

I have no problem with lean meat and eat lean meat from time to time, even pork chops.

Sausages to me are a 'processed' meat. I know the quality of them vary wildly but I think even the best sausages are not great for your health either, and eating them regularly for me is a no no.

If I am going to eat pig in a fry up, I eat rashers, and cut off the fat as much as possible.

Also, I love black pudding, in moderation.

Also, sausages are best eaten with bread ,ketchup, mustard, maybe even mayo. Not a thing you ever want to do often if you know what's good for you.

Sorry, I know all that must be annoying, but there you are.

AllForIt wrote: »

I have given up eating sausages out of my diet completely, not that I ever ate them often.

I have no problem with lean meat and eat lean meat from time to time, even pork chops.

Sausages to me are a 'processed' meat. I know the quality of them vary wildly but I think even the best sausages are not great for your health either, and eating them regularly for me is a no no.

If I am going to eat pig in a fry up, I eat rashers, and cut off the fat as much as possible.

Also, sausages are best eaten with bread ,ketchup, mustard, maybe even mayo. Not a thing you ever want to do often if you know what's good for you.

Not annoying at all, each to their own. I couldn’t see anyone that likes a sausage giving them up after reading it, so everyone is still happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I would have thought sausages are no different to something like mince - buy cheap generic versions and youll get crap, buy better quality and receive it. The same with ham - a pack of 20 slices of reconstituted ham is not the same as a piece of carved ham fillet.

That aside, Im happy to take the risk in the same way I am with the occasional burger, salami etc. Its not a bedrock of my diet, but tastes amazing after or with a skelp of pints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it's not just the sausages, the oak smoked ham changed from a lovely flaky smoked meat to something not that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

The Superquinn sausage changed when they were no longer made in the stores, around 2003/4, shortly after the butchers strike. The manufacturing was transferred to AIBP (now ABP) in Cahir. They used to send the unlinked length of sausages to the stores for staff to link them into sausages for customer theatre.

There were many tests carried out on the flavour of the sausages back then, as they were noticeably different and this reported back to the buyers/head office. Personally, I think, with them being made in the store, they were fresher and made in smaller batches. The water content/hardness of various areas made a difference. Having previously been involved first hand in this, I have for many years stopped buying them and my current sausage of choice is Dunnes Stores hand tied.

I would have thought sausages are no different to something like mince - buy cheap generic versions and youll get crap, buy better quality and receive it. The same with ham - a pack of 20 slices of reconstituted ham is not the same as a piece of carved ham fillet.

No. Even the fattiest mince isn't as bad as sausages. Mince isn't processed, it's beef just grinded with it's own beef fat.

Sausages are processed, and I bet if you seen the factor procedure they go though you'd think twice.

So what I'm saying is, mince is way better than sausages, but mince if very fatty so not great either. I'd eat mince still but only very very rarely, and as lean as possible. Sausages, forget it. Tasty, but not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

So what I'm saying is, mince is way better than sausages, but mince if very fatty so not great either. I'd eat mince still but only very very rarely, and as lean as possible. Sausages, forget it. Tasty, but not worth it.

Something being fatty doesn't make it worse, avocados and nuts are fatty.

The bad thing about sausages (which will never put me off them) is the salt content and that there's just a load of random skin bits and cartilage included, minced. I hate any possibility of lumps so I just need those bits to be minced finer plz.

Fat as long as you use it and don't OD on it is a perfect fuel for a human to live, most fat people eat/drink too much sugar in combination with too much fat. Eat veg, fibre, protein, fat, eat minimal carbs/sugars = happy body.

Not that I'm saying sausages are fine dining or whatever, but dipping into the Quality Street box and/or having sugar with your tea while lazing around vegging on Netflix are much worse for you than frying a few 5hitmeat tubes as long as you're active.

Edit: and a burger made from anything but the fattiest mince is a crap burger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Sausages are processed, and I bet if you seen the factor procedure they go though you'd think twice.

I really wouldn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For me, a good thing about sausages is that they enable a huge amount of the animal to be used.
    I don't like waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

From my experience making them, the fillings were made from Pork belly (minced), Pork (Minced), Rusk, Water and the seasoning. That's it. The natural skins were made from Sheep's gut or Hog (pig) gut for the really thick sausages. The gut had been cleaned, bleached and gone through a process to ensure they are fit for human consumption. AFAIK, there is only one place in Ireland, possibly Europe, that carries out this process in Tullamore. A lot of sausages that are machine made use a synthetic skin, don't know what this is made from.

Obviously the seasoning has ingredients that people don't or may not like/agree with, but the main one been the salt.

Like any meat, once it has been changed from its original state, it is processed including anything that is minced.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I really wouldn't :D

Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made - Otto von Bismarck (allegedly)

grindle wrote: »
    Something being fatty doesn't make it worse, avocados and nuts are fatty.

Yeah, but when it comes to animal fat it absolutely does make it worse. Generally it's the fat from the skin that is bad. That goes for chicken skin and bacon rind as well.

I agree with the bulk of your comments I haven't quoted.
    Edit: and a burger made from anything but the fattiest mince is a crap burger

No, I don't agree with that at all. You need to know how to cook it right. The best burger is the leanest mince but you can still grill it or fry it in a healthier fat you add, like rapeseed oil. You don't have to cook the burger in the animal fat from the beef mince itself.

So I'm not saying the burger has to be as fat free as possible, what I'm saying is it should be as far free from the fat in the mince as possible, you can still grill it or fry it in a healthier fat and still get that lovely chargrilled fat/meat taste that makes burgers so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, I don't agree with that at all. You need to know how to cook it right. The best burger is the leanest mince but you can still grill it or fry it in a healthier fat you add, like rapeseed oil. You don't have to cook the burger in the animal fat from the beef mince itself.

So I'm not saying the burger has to be as fat free as possible, what I'm saying is it should be as far free from the fat in the mince as possible, you can still grill it or fry it in a healthier fat and still get that lovely chargrilled fat/meat taste that makes burgers so tasty.

Please don't ever try feed me one of your burgers.

You don't fry burgers in oil in normal circumstances, for starters, only when they're too dry to actually cook any other way. And it certainly won't - can't - give you a "chargrilled" result.

A heavily but likely completely flat and tastelessly crusted - from being fried in oil - disc of lean meat sounds utterly, utterly disgusting. Nothing "lovely" or "tasty" about it, just a waste of ingredients.

L1011 wrote: »
    Please don't ever try feed me one of your burgers.

You don't fry burgers in oil in normal circumstances, for starters, only when they're too dry to actually cook any other way. And it certainly won't - can't - give you a "chargrilled" result.

A heavily but likely completely flat and tastelessly crusted - from being fried in oil - disc of lean meat sounds utterly, utterly disgusting. Nothing "lovely" or "tasty" about it, just a waste of ingredients.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

What do you mean when you say 'they are too dry' - like when they have little fat !!!, which is exactly what I was talking about. DUH.

If you don't fry or grill then in oil what would you use? Nothing?

You can get a chargrilled taste result if you cook them on a proper iron serrated pan, ie, a pan that is designed for such where you can whack the temp up and basically get close to a flavour as you can from being flame grilled.

I never read such an ignorant post in my life when it comes to cooking as yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, but when it comes to animal fat it absolutely does make it worse. Generally it's the fat from the skin that is bad. That goes for chicken skin and bacon rind as well.

I agree with the bulk of your comments I haven't quoted.

You clearly don't know anything about burgers.

Keep doing it your way if that's how you like it but anyone who knows anything about cooking or burgers would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Zoot1530 wrote: »
    To make 2020 even worse, the Superquinn Sausage has changed, yuk. the recipe
    must have been altered. not nice at all. Shame on you supervalu/musgraves or whoever you are.

It is actually a major consumer issue - where brands literally establish buying patterns - then swap out ingredients. This is literally a form of "bait & switch".

Things like this should have version numbers - and traceable ingredients - otherwise consumers have limited control or even ability to calibrate.

When Grumpy Mule Coffee was first released to the market, it was excellent and stayed my favourite coffee for years. Then something changed - and it tasted a bit different but the feeling I got was completely different. This was true for my brother in law too - who had independently reached the same conclusion. During this time, it seemed Bewley's bought the company, and basically changed the coffee sourcing approaches - to a bit more mass market - versus relatively small plantations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: A reminder that this, thankfully, is not the Nutrition & Diet forum. Here, we care about flavour, mouthfeel, and enjoyment over calories, fat and carbs. If you’d like to debate how to make the ‘healthiest’ burgers or sausages, head on over to nutrition and diet and don’t post here, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you don't fry or grill then in oil what would you use? Nothing?
    Yes, you use nothing. I have watched and read a disturbing amount of videos and instructions on cooking burgers and it is an extremely common technique. Almost all of them recommend very high fat meat too.

I find it bizarre that you are calling others ignorant about cooking burgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can fry burgers in oil but they generally already have a high fat content so personally I would reccomend grilling with no oil. I dont think thats ignorant. Just a different preference.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Haven't read through most of this thread but i don't notice any difference with these tasty little buggers myself. Regularly get a superquinn sausage bap in the deli and savour every little morsel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, you use nothing. I have watched and read a disturbing amount of videos and instructions on cooking burgers and it is an extremely common technique. Almost all of them recommend very high fat meat too.

I find it bizarre that you are calling others ignorant about cooking burgers!

Have you tried it? I never fry burgers these days, only use the bbq.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

No. Even the fattiest mince isn't as bad as sausages. Mince isn't processed, it's beef just grinded with it's own beef fat.

The same could be said for the process of making other food, for example animal blood is used to make black puddings and while off topic if I shared what I've seen in places you would never eat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wonder if this thread has led to a surge in sales as boardsies have bought some to judge for themselves...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brian? wrote: »
    Have you tried it? I never fry burgers these days, only use the bbq.
    Yes, I do "smash burgers", where you press it down into an uncoated cast iron or carbon steel pan. It sticks to the pan and you have to scrape it to release it. The majority of the "gourmet" burger joints do it like this, like bunsen, wowburger. The mince I use is usually 18% fat so more than enough fat comes out for it to cook in. I use a carbon steel wok, the high sides mean it catches spatter, it also heats up way quicker than my cast iron pan.

There is a good old thread with lots of ideas & videos.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057730922

Advertisement