Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something eating my Muc off Wet lube bottles in the garage

Options
  • 27-12-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

a weird one... I seen a hole in one of the bottles and thought it was how it fell. but today I seen that something is eating through it. must some food ingredient in the oil. and I hope its a mouse and not a rat. dirty so and so's... anyone ever heard of this before?

I have had a snickers bar demolished before in the garage and I've removed food from the garage. also seen something had attacked a bottle of sparkling water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

thekooman wrote: »
    ....and I hope its a mouse and not a rat....
    Is the garage accessible to rats? They need a reasonable large hole to enter compared to mice who will get in almost anywhere.

I've a vague recollection of someone posting about tyres being chewed off their bikes by rodents.

Set a trap if you can - better than poison as you won't have the smell of a decomposing rodent where you can't reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is the garage accessible to rats? They need a reasonable large hole to enter compared to mice who will get in almost anywhere.

I've a vague recollection of someone posting about tyres being chewed off their bikes by rodents.

Set a trap if you can - better than poison as you won't have the smell of a decomposing rodent where you can't reach it.

I've had tubes, bottles, 5kg of creatine, 10kg of protein and my swim hats eaten in a shed - rats. Cleared some bushes and undergrowth, and got a dog. No problems since.

It's rats. Check for droppings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

thekooman wrote: »
    a weird one... I seen a hole in one of the bottles and thought it was how it fell. but today I seen that something is eating through it. must some food ingredient in the oil. and I hope its a mouse and not a rat. dirty so and so's... anyone ever heard of this before?

I have had a snickers bar demolished before in the garage and I've removed food from the garage. also seen something had attacked a bottle of sparkling water.

Rats are cleaner than mice IMO, and neither are particularly dirty compared to other animals. Way off topic though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

tunney wrote: »
    I've had tubes, bottles, 5kg of creatine, 10kg of protein and my swim hats eaten in a shed - rats. Cleared some bushes and undergrowth, and got a dog. No problems since.

I've a door that would let rats in alright. think I will need to rat proof it. its not one I use so will be a seal tight sheet of ply inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

tunney wrote: »

Those rats must have been ripped!

Yeah OP it is most likely a rat as they will chew through anything and consume anything. They are often a lot smaller than you'd expect too. Most rats I've seen over the years are a bit bigger than a mouse, I've seen one or two whoppers as well but the smaller rats will get into a garage fairly easily if they really want in.

As tunney said, if there's any overgrowth in the garden get rid. Get a cat or dog. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

My dog got at motor oil and drank some, very lucky that she was ok.

I think animals love drinking oil for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had mice chew through plastic bottles of wood sealer in the shed they will go for anything in a plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

no droppings about that I can see. the garage is all sealed up now but I'm sure a mouse will get no hassle along roller doors as some parts not flush with the ground.

yeah, I've had plenty of animals in and out before including a pine marten that i caught on video. I hadn't the garage sealed enough. had left fruit cake in tin foil which was devoured. its like Animal Farm around here.

don't have any rough areas in the garden, just normal hedges.

Advertisement