Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrister wants €250,000 for "freedom" case

Options
  • 27-12-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

So a Galway based barrister wants quarter of a million to take a case against the State. Whilst I disagree with lockdowns for my own reasons I also disagree with this shameless hustling and grifting. Surely the state should be challenged but why need so much money? Doesn't this undermine the case she is fighting for if its all for the moolah?
    Isn't freedom actually free? Suppose she doesn't care. Over 80 grand raised. That will do for a new car and mortgage down payment and a long foreign holiday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'll take note of her name, because if I ever need legal representation, I want to be sure to avoid someone with such a tremendously stupid fcucking idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's all ok, just shows people have plenty of money to spend on bs like that, still. Maybe she promised some interesting refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

I'm just shocked that they've raised so much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Isn't there a risk of champtery here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Following on from a different conversation I had recently.
    I would love to see how the crowd funding effort plays out with regard the fairly extreme exclusions of champerty and maintenance.

Seeking to crowdfund an action, when perhaps a client and an instruction should be her 1st port of call regarding any potential action?

Surely if she could gain a client willing to give such instruction?
    The state will pick up the cost when her "inevitable" victory occurs? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The thing is, is that there are probably some aspects of these restriction that are actually illegal, so her campaign has a very faint wift of possibility and plausibility to it. But this seems a pure grifting exercise.

Declan Ganley has a case running and he does pose an interesting legal question that there is some merit to... obviously he is paying it for it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suprised it took this long for someone to try and grift and make a profit from it.

Free money tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Declan Ganley has a case running and he does pose an interesting legal question that there is some merit to... obviously he is paying it for it himself.

Very true.
    Ganly is running and funding a case, and much as I believe there is a need for the current regime of restrictions.
    Ganly is raising importants regarding fundamental freedoms those restrictions impede.
    It is a matter of public interest.

This crowd though, seeking to fund a potential action when they haven't even managed to get a client yet?
    I'm not au fait with the bar, but I had assumed that barristers acted on instruction?

The mooting of a potential case, seeking funds for a proposed action without even a client is surely against the rules of the bar society?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So a Galway based barrister wants quarter of a million to take a case against the State. Whilst I disagree with lockdowns for my own reasons I also disagree with this shameless hustling and grifting.

Funny that..... cause it seems like you are promoting her crowdfunder

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Funny that..... cause it seems like you are promoting her crowdfunder

By saying shes (in my opinion) keeping it for herself???

I am against restrictions they are draconian unjust and cruel but equally against people swindling from it too.

I can agree with her to end lockdown restrictions as they are absurd and draconian but not agree with her gofundme money raising.
    Can't be that hard to grasp?

• Advertisement

By saying shes (in my opinion) keeping it for herself???

I am against restrictions they are draconian unjust and cruel but equally against people swindling from it too.

I can agree with her to end lockdown restrictions as they are absurd and draconian but not agree with her gofundme money raising.
    Can't be that hard to grasp?

Why put the link up then? Nah you're obviously shilling it here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TBH I'm staggered people are prepared to fund something like this. It's ultimately a case of let's cause more disruption for everyone if she can, but she wants others to fund her cause.

If she has the courage of her convictions she can fund it herself. But she wants others to fund what is essentially a personal crusade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

banie01 wrote: »
    Very true.
    Ganly is running and funding a case, and much as I believe there is a need for the current regime of restrictions.
    Ganly is raising importants regarding fundamental freedoms those restrictions impede.
    It is a matter of public interest.

This crowd though, seeking to fund a potential action when they haven't even managed to get a client yet?
    I'm not au fait with the bar, but I had assumed that barristers acted on instruction?

The mooting of a potential case, seeking funds for a proposed action without even a client is surely against the rules of the bar society?
    I think I saw somewhere she was using some of it to get counsel opinion and such. If funding is ever accounted for, I'd say there would be a significant outlay on 'research' and the like, and perhaps she would instruct counsel, rather than act herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe she should look at Bosnia and Herzegovina where restrictions on movements and mandatory masks had been ruled unconstitutional this week.
    It reads like the abuse of power that's happened here, it started off for the common good and snowballed into the hostage situation we're now stuck in.

The case needs to be taken on our behalf and will win on some grounds, not convinced she's the right person but best of luck to her, 80k won't cover costs, did Gemma and John even get their bill yet?

Currently watching the Barrier where they're been locked down due to the noroviris, it sure isn't helping to reinforce my love of this new normal. It's like a glimpse into our future if we continue to tolerate this for your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So a Galway based barrister wants quarter of a million to take a case against the State. Whilst I disagree with lockdowns for my own reasons I also disagree with this shameless hustling and grifting. Surely the state should be challenged but why need so much money? Doesn't this undermine the case she is fighting for if its all for the moolah?
    Isn't freedom actually free? Suppose she doesn't care. Over 80 grand raised. That will do for a new car and mortgage down payment and a long foreign holiday.

Pity you didn't read your own link which contains the following clarification.

"Finally, for completeness, I wish to confirm that I shall not be drawing any funds for any services I undertake, the purpose of this campaign is to allow me to engage and pay others to carry out tasks that I do not have the time, knowledge or expertise to undertake myself.

I also confirm that we will keep you informed throughout the process as to our progress and use of funds."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Saw the thread title and thought, surely not Ms O' Mahony? Yep, shock horror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Trump playbook. Doubt she believes what she is representing when looks at the detail.

Fools and their money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

elperello wrote: »
    Pity you didn't read your own link which contains the following clarification.

"Finally, for completeness, I wish to confirm that I shall not be drawing any funds for any services I undertake, the purpose of this campaign is to allow me to engage and pay others to carry out tasks that I do not have the time, knowledge or expertise to undertake myself.

I also confirm that we will keep you informed throughout the process as to our progress and use of funds."

Ah grand. I might set up an oul' gofundme meself. "Stop the corona". Just a target of 1m quid. I confirm that I will use the money to stop corona. I won't be using it to pay myself (although I have my fingers crossed behind back and I never ruled out paying my dog or my immediate family members)

Will I count you in for 100?

Definitely a substantial overlap between those donating to this charlatan, Irish Trumpers and Gemmerz devotees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Screenshot-20201228-104108.jpg

Those hats scream nutjob to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She may well be nuts and or a charlatan

But we always need people in society pushing back against the government whatever it's doing, not just cheerleading. It's part of a healthy democracy. People like her in China and Russia disappear.

Lockdowns are costing the state a fortune. What's the lizard people/illuminati angle here?

The health experts were always going to recommend lock downs. Or do people think the Covid19 pandemic is a fake? People aren't dying from it?!

Is there a pedantic case? Possibly, but with a vaccine (global controlling device?) developed after the world pretty much prioritised it and a likely solution in 6 months... suck it up buttercups!

Lockdowns are costing the state a fortune. What's the lizard people/illuminati angle here?

The health experts were always going to recommend lock downs. Or do people think the Covid19 pandemic is a fake? People aren't dying from it?!

Is there a pedantic case? Possibly, but with a vaccine (global controlling device?) developed after the world pretty much prioritised it and a likely solution in 6 months... suck it up buttercups!

Whats the lizard people angle? She is encouraging people to fake being disabled. She has links to all the far right in the country. Rowan Croft, Dave Cullen, Hermann Kelly, Yellow Vests etc

https://twitter.com/TraceyOMahony81/status/1269298539475218432?s=19

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

She is encouraging people to fake being disabled.

Meanwhile on the other side of the fence we have Tony & Co encouraging healthy people to pretend their sick and a threat to life.

Meanwhile on the other side of the fence we have Tony & Co encouraging healthy people to pretend their sick and a threat to life.

Are you serious? Post something like this is a fùcking joke.

If that's the way you see it, you can sell your house, empty your pockets and send it all to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The government...
    determined that you must wear a face covering in order to use public transport and in order to gain entry to indoor retail outlets (in violation of your right to bodily integrity).

Like, how? Such a simple thing to do that reduces risk but they're lumping it in with having your kidneys stolen.

She may well be nuts and or a charlatan

But we always need people in society pushing back against the government whatever it's doing, not just cheerleading. It's part of a healthy democracy. People like her in China and Russia disappear.

We need less conmen and chancers, not more.

This has nothing to do whatsoever with a noble civic duty, and everything to do with realising that there are a lot of suckers out there.

I have no issue whatsoever with people challenging the lockdowns and whatever (they'll go nowhere as there are provisions in the Constitution to limit freedoms) but this is the dictionary definition of a swindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ah grand. I might set up an oul' gofundme meself. "Stop the corona". Just a target of 1m quid. I confirm that I will use the money to stop corona. I won't be using it to pay myself (although I have my fingers crossed behind back and I never ruled out paying my dog or my immediate family members)

Will I count you in for 100?

Certainly not Mistah T :)

I would however advise against suggesting financial impropriety when dealing with someone so well versed in the law.

Just donated. About time someone stood up to the Nazis in government

• Advertisement

Edz87 wrote: »
    Just donated. About time someone stood up to the Nazis in government

What about aliens? Any there as well?

Think it's about the time to setup gofundme for myself as well. Looks like it's easy money to make

Advertisement