Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension costs and architect fees

Options
  • 28-12-2020 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are considering 2 distinct projects on our house. The house is a detached 2 storey 4 bed. Approximately 190M2.

Firstly, we have been considering adding a simple small rectangular extension (16-18M2) to the rear of our house off of the kitchen, using the existing patio door space as the entrance to the new room and most likely just reusing the same patio door in the new room to lead outside. In terms of features and finish, tile apex roof, standard sized window, perhaps some veluexs, standard enough wiring. Existing heating is underfloor but would consider other options.

Existing kitchen renovation is being considered with flooring to flow through to new area.

The second project is an attic conversion. The attic is already provisioned for conversion, double rafters where needed, plywood down etc. "Ready to go" as such. It would need a dormer to the front, one to the side to accommodate extension of existing stairs, and 2 velux to the rear. One bedroom with ensuite being the plan for that space. Exact plans already implemented by other neighbours approximately 12 years ago.

Our estate was built in 2005/2006 and the plans are on the council website from that time, and the original architects are local, so they have the plans already.

In terms of costs. What would an architect charge for providing plans for something like this, considering the only new aspect is the rear extension?

In terms of the two distinct projects, what would ballpark costs be for each?

I would consider doing just the work downstairs with the dormers and stairs added and conversion to be completed at a later stage.

Also, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Would there be an opportunity to save much by say digging and pouring the foundations myself? Or using family members and friends (carpenter and electrician) for roofing/wiring etc? Are those days gone? Location is South East.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’d argue the ‘aspect’ as you put it, complicates the project, As an architect May need to break down your needs/wants and Tease out what is actually the best option, as apposed to where your thought process is at right now.

Re arch costs, get 3 quotes, best if they can visit.

In terms of costs, it’s anyone’s guess until you get a survey. assume Nothing will be relocated, everything will need to be replaced. For straight extension of that size allow 2-3k per msq. In terms of existing works, that’s anyone’s guess, but allow 1k Per m2 disturbed.

Separately, If your planning on doing the attic, Id recommend lifting the last few rows of tiles/slates and getting your architect to detail out how you eliminate air-movement before progressing the dormer construction

My advice, forget About doing work yourself and just get it all priced up by a builder. My experience is unless your prepared for the pain of self building, leave it those that do it for a living. Honestly if you’ve a family in the house, you need any works done quickly - there will more than enough decisions and tidy-ups for you do during the process.

Advertisement