Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotional Code on Irish Website not Applicable to Irish Orders

Options
  • 28-12-2020 6:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Hi all. I seen that asos had advertised on the top of their (Irish) website a promo code for new customers available on all products. I checked the small print and all was good. I went to the checkout (Having set up an account just to order my desired item) but when I applied the code the website told me I could not apply it as it was not applicable to my delivery country (Ireland).

The code was advertised on the very front of the Irish website and I read the terms and conditions; it mentioned nothing of being limited to a certain set of countries. So I contacted customer care and they said they had special tools for checking the ts and cs and that the promotion was not available in Ireland (despite being advertised very clearly on the Irish asos website).

When I asked why the code was being advertised on a country website it was not available in/why wasn't the more extensive ts and cs that the customer care agent could check with her software were not available to the consumer or on the website she ended the chat. I had sent her a screen shot of the code with it's attached terms and conditions. I sent the same message to another customer care agent and they just ended the chat without any form of a response.

Is ASOS in the right here; advertising a promo code in a country it's not applicable to with no mention of this anywhere available to the public/on the website? I checked the ASAI rules and it seems to be illegal (but maybe different rules apply for MNCs....it was the Irish asos site tho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Yes it's ok.

Can you explain it in more detail to me?

The ASAI says that a promotion of any kind must have the Ts and Cs clearly available and must state if there is geographical restrictions. The asos website itself states that all Ts and Cs are available in the advertised promotional space. The Ts and Cs of this promotion ot being available in Ireland is not available anywhere on teh site an secondly its advertised front and center of the Irish asos site. How can it be allowed to advertise a promotion on a specific countries website if that promotion is not applicable to that country? By that defintion promotions available only in China could be advertised on the Irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Can you explain it in more detail to me?

The ASAI says that a promotion of any kind must have the Ts and Cs clearly available and must state if there is geographical restrictions. The asos website itself states that all Ts and Cs are available in the advertised promotional space. The Ts and Cs of this promotion ot being available in Ireland is not available anywhere on teh site an secondly its advertised front and center of the Irish asos site. How can it be allowed to advertise a promotion on a specific countries website if that promotion is not applicable to that country? By that defintion promotions available only in China could be advertised on the Irish site.

You could be using a VPN or Your internet provider could have assigned you an IP address in the another country for two reasons. There are lots of reasons you might have seen that ad, none of which are within asos's control.

Don't know exactly here. But definitely enough room that it wouldn't be remotely illegal

You could be using a VPN or Your internet provider could have assigned you an IP address in the another country for two reasons. There are lots of reasons you might have seen that ad, none of which are within asos's control.

Don't know exactly here. But definitely enough room that it wouldn't be remotely illegal

It's not an advert it is a promotional code on the Irish asos website. Didn't do anything weird about my Internet and even at that its on the Irish asos website. My ip address is Dublin. It wasn't an advert it's part of the website layout; even at that the nearest country is UK where the offer is not advertised and b it has nothing to do with your IP address, its you delivery country.

asos,,,.png

But definitely enough room that it wouldn't be remotely illegal

It is misleading advertising and could quite easily be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Vote with your feet and buy elsewhere

Ping their customer service and tell them why you bought elsewhere. If they are told they lose enough sales they might (might!) care and cop on their promos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You maybe using only essential cookies on the website so they may not know you are in Ireland until you tell them hence the and. No contract is in place and no issue.

You maybe using only essential cookies on the website so they may not know you are in Ireland until you tell them hence the and. No contract is in place and no issue.

....if you look at the photo you can clearly see it has the Irish flag. It automatically asks if you are reading in Ireland and redirects you to the Irish page. They removed the promotion from the website now anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

....if you look at the photo you can clearly see it has the Irish flag. It automatically asks if you are reading in Ireland and redirects you to the Irish page. They removed the promotion from the website now anyways.

It’s still an invitation to treat, similar to the prices/offers in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s still an invitation to treat, similar to the prices/offers in a supermarket.
    Why are ye giving the OP a hard time.
    ASOS screwed up.
    Posters here seem to be implying that the OP is responsible for their screw up.

Sure legally they are not liable.
    But he is understandably peed off that he wasted his time and got shabby treatment.

A smart company would have said they screwed up and offered the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

paddy19 wrote: »
    Why are you giving the OP a hard time.
    ASOS screwed up.
    You seem to be implying that the OP is responsible for their screw up.

Sure legally they are not liable.
    But he is understandably peed off that he wasted his time and got shabby treatment.

A smart company would have said they screwed up and offered the voucher.

Op asked if it was illegal. Bad practice for sure.

Well I sent in a complaint to the ASAI anyways. The code is back on the Irish landing page but still cannot be used in Ireland/fails to mention any restrictions on countries applicable anywhere. TBH I found legislation stating its illegal, I don't want any compensation or anything its just annoying. Its up to the ASAI now anyways, if they sayits fine then so be it. I also emailed ASOS about this stating that they don't feature the additional T and Cs associated with the promo code on the site but then they just told me I was mistaken and the fact that I couldn't apply the code was that it ended on the 14th of this month, not that the code was limited to specific countries, but if you look at the photo or even the promo code which is on the very top of the asos page atm, it says the code can be used until the middle of January....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bit iffy especially when the amount is in euro for the minimum spend

Use ASOSNEWBIE for 15% off if u want

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

If you are staying under the 28 euro order to avoid new customs / import charges, you are not saving much in real terms with a 15% code. But I'd be peed too to get a code that was never going to work when it seemed to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Asos are not an irish company, so asai have no juristicion.

A .ie domain makes no difference.

And why would you support a company that does something like this?

Forget it and buy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ASAI have no actual powers either; all that can happen is an ad is "banned" which, when its on your own website / own flyers / whatever means absolutely nothing.

If its a reputable firm advertising on TV/radio, they may pull or alter the ad when informed of the complaint; but that's basically it.

Advertisement