Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct drive trainer advice

Options
  • 28-12-2020 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I've owned a Tacx Vortex for the past year and half and have used it a good bit ... initially I didnt want to spend big as I wasnt sure where this hamster wheel exercise would take me but I've used it a good bit on zwift and now RGT in races.

So I was looking at a Tacx Neo but between availability and cost it seems just to much money so then I was looking at Tacx flux but god almighty I've only heard negative reviews.

So I think I have it narrowed down to either a wahoo kickr core or something that's just come to my attention a Elite direto x which I could get in halfords for customer support at least.

My tacx vortex is still going ok if you can excuse the noises from cold sometimes but would like to research its replacement in advance. Any advice my fellow boardsie

Happy new year to you all in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So I think I have it narrowed down to either a wahoo kickr core or something that's just come to my attention a Elite direto x which I could get in halfords for customer support at least.

I'd probably go for the kickr if I were buying again. The direto is a great bit of kit but it is a bit noisier than the kickr. I have a direto btw. :D

If noise isn't an issue then either would do and Elite customer service is one of the best I've seen.

I'd also add to the negative reviews of the tacx flux, avoid at all costs they're built in a factory full of blind apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I

I'd also add to the negative reviews of the tacx flux, avoid at all costs they're built in a factory full of blind apes.

Thanks for advice ha ha

I saw a video last night where shane Miller had I think 3 flux faulty out of box and visited tacx and I have to be honest tacx shouldnt have done that ... it confirmed what you said ....

Noise isnt an issue for me as I dont bother anyone where I train.

Reliability is more of a concern for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Reliability is more of a concern for me .

I think both are pretty consistent. A few reports of belt snapping on the direto usually after high usage which most would put down as wear and tear but if you contact elite they'll send out a new belt and tension pulley which imo is excellent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The main condition here is really budget.

< 500 / 500-750 / 750-1000 / > 1000

Cyclops/Saris Hammer H3 well worth a look in the 750-1000 bracket, might even find it just below the lower edge if on a deal somewhere. As smart as you need basically.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The main condition here is really budget.

< 500 / 500-750 / 750-1000 / > 1000

Cyclops/Saris Hammer H3 well worth a look in the 750-1000 bracket, might even find it just below the lower edge if on a deal somewhere. As smart as you need basically.

750/1000

Thanks will look into that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I have just bought a Direto xr from cyclesuperstore - came in at roughly 876 with the loyalty card

Its quiet.
    Quiet enough to use in same room as someone watching t.v. without bothering them It has very realistic road feel

Its got 24% slope simulation - I really wanted slope simulation to virtually ride the big climbs

It folds away and stores easily . Theres no setting up - take it out of the box and use it

It came with an 11- 32 cassette pre installed

I am sure other trainers are equally good but I am delighted with this. Use it on Rgt races and routes and rouvey Got a right kick in the arse when I hit the Paterburg :)

I missed out on a 2nd hand kicr core and missed the new stock several times in chainreaction
    It was great walking into css and just buying at the counter without any hassle

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I have just bought a Direto xr from cyclesuperstore - came in at roughly 876 with the loyalty card

Its quiet.
    Quiet enough to use in same room as someone watching t.v. without bothering them It has very realistic road feel

Its got 24% slope simulation - I really wanted slope simulation to virtually ride the big climbs

It folds away and stores easily . Theres no setting up - take it out of the box and use it

It came with an 11- 32 cassette pre installed

I am sure other trainers are equally good but I am delighted with this. Use it on Rgt races and routes and rouvey Got a right kick in the arse when I hit the Paterburg :)

I missed out on a 2nd hand kicr core and missed the new stock several times in chainreaction
    It was great walking into css and just buying at the counter without any hassle

Thanks for that info !!!!

I'm using RGT aswell for past month after a year of Zwift .... I find it way better and using a few local routes on magic roads. It's a bargain at 8.99 a month ...

I'll defo check out cycle superstore... although I live in Kerry .

Edit . . Ha ha I see I'm already a loyalty card member, I bought a few things a few years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks for that info !!!!

I'm using RGT aswell for past month after a year of Zwift .... I find it way better and using a few local routes on magic roads. It's a bargain at 8.99 a month ...

I'll defo check out cycle superstore... although I live in Kerry .

Edit . . Ha ha I see I'm already a loyalty card member, I bought a few things a few years ago!!!

You get 12.5% discount in Cyclesuperstore with your Cycling Ireland membership.
    So if you're not a CI member it might be worth your while signing up. Also get a €20 voucher for CSS, redeemable with any purchase over €50.

Advertisement