Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing A New Bike

Options
  • 28-12-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a new bike primarily for exercise purposes as I have been having issues with my upper legs and suffer from tense hamstrings.

It will be used around Dublin city center, Phoenix Park etc. so would a road bike or hybrid be best suited for myself? I have heard road bikes are quite tough at the start but are more beneficial over time.

My budget would be €400 for the actual bike and I would like to be an alarm system as my biggest fear living beside the city is it getting stolen.

I have gathered a list of some stores below but what is everyone's experience with the store they purchased there most recent bike and which would have the best value/models/brands?

Adverts.ie has been mentioned a few times as some people buy a bike under the cycle to work scheme and give up using it after a few months.

bikesorbicycles.com
    +353 (0)1 561 0638
    47 Upper Clanbrassil Street,Dublin 8, Ireland

https://www.decathlon.ie/
    +35312530166
    Decathlon Ballymun, St Margaret's Rd, Ballymun, Dublin

https://eurocycles.com/
    Longmile Road

www.cyclesuperstore.ie

https://www.360cycles.ie/
    (01) 853 3107

Coyne Cycles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Euro cycles is a kip. Wouldn't buy anything out of it.

byrnem31 wrote: »

Fir that budget, declathon might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have a look at second hand in some shops for that budget a new bike would be quite low spec if its just for a bit of fitness second hand would be fine cycle super store generally have some used bikes and they should be fine plus you will have some comeback buying from a shop even second hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Not directly answering your question, I know, but have you considered the bike to work scheme? Depending on the rate of tax you pay, that would increase your budget from €400 to up to €800. You may not need all that for a bike, but it would also include accessories, such as a good lock, a set of lights, rain gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

At that price second hand is probably your best bet unless youre going with bike 2 work

• Advertisement

Ive found the lads in eurocycles to be sound and im pretty sure theyve got a sale on at the moment, no worse than anywhere else.

You will have to factor in the bits and pieces needed for any level of cycling like track pump lock lights and maybe tyres as they can be poor quality on cheaper bikes .I do not want to put you off as cycling is great but just remember those extras you will need pretty much when you buy the bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

DarraghR wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a new bike primarily for exercise purposes as I have been having issues with my upper legs and suffer from tense hamstrings.

It will be used around Dublin city center, Phoenix Park etc. so would a road bike or hybrid be best suited for myself? I have heard road bikes are quite tough at the start but are more beneficial over time.

My budget would be €400 for the actual bike and I would like to be an alarm system as my biggest fear living beside the city is it getting stolen.

I have gathered a list of some stores below but what is everyone's experience with the store they purchased there most recent bike and which would have the best value/models/brands?

Adverts.ie has been mentioned a few times as some people buy a bike under the cycle to work scheme and give up using it after a few months.

bikesorbicycles.com
    +353 (0)1 561 0638
    47 Upper Clanbrassil Street,Dublin 8, Ireland

https://www.decathlon.ie/
    +35312530166
    Decathlon Ballymun, St Margaret's Rd, Ballymun, Dublin

https://eurocycles.com/
    Longmile Road

www.cyclesuperstore.ie

https://www.360cycles.ie/
    (01) 853 3107

Coyne Cycles

Hey Darragh,

The bike you are looking for should depend on what you need it for.

Exercise/commuting etc.

I found the lads in 360 cycles very good. They loaned me a variety of bikes to cycle/test ride around howth for a while.

Go to your local bike shops try out the bikes and see what suits you, although at your budget you will be limited to what you can get (weight wise) which seems illogical now, but wait until you are cycling up a long drag (long uphill road) with the wind in your face. If you can use your bike to work use it.

Make sure you try get fitted to the bike you choose or else it will hurt your back/knees/elbows and neck your arse will hurt you anyway for the first couple of cycles either way so don't be put off by that

Tony04 wrote: »
    Ive found the lads in eurocycles to be sound and im pretty sure theyve got a sale on at the moment, no worse than anywhere else.

They sold me a bike and were very nice to me. Gave me a card with a time and date to come back for its 1st service. Cycled from rathfarnham on the date to be told they were too busy to do it. Asked me to come back the following week. It was a 5 min tune up. Went back following week and asked them could they stick on a rear rack while doing the service and was told no. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

They sold me a bike and were very nice to me. Gave me a card with a time and date to come back for its 1st service. Cycled from rathfarnham on the date to be told they were too busy to do it. Asked me to come back the following week. It was a 5 min tune up. Went back following week and asked them could they stick on a rear rack while doing the service and was told no. Never again.

How long after purchase was the date for 1st service, and what was your expectation re. the content of the service

• Advertisement

How long after purchase was the date for 1st service, and what was your expectation re. the content of the service

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

When it comes to brand is that something I need to consider or should I also be researching the actual model?

Found a couple that I think would suit myself up to €450 which is the cheapest in Decathlon.

Carrera Crossfire 2 - https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2020---black---s%2C-m%2C-l-frames-345886.html

Carrera Crossfire 1 - https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2020---silver---s%2C-m%2C-l-frames-345190.html

Triban RC 120 - https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/rc-120-road-bike-abyss-grey-micfroshift-en-s302496.html

Jumpertrek Fitness V-Brake - https://eurocycles.com/jumpertrek-fitness-v-brake-front-suspension-2-colours-available/

Appreciate all of the advice so far.

Would think the triban one would get the most votes here have seen a couple around not sure if exact same but I would look up as many reviews and you might see a pattern .Halfords won't get great reviews on this forum either for the bikes or service .

At that price id advise going second hand. Bikes at that price point comes with cheaper components while theyre grand for moderate use if you get in to cycling youll find theyll wear out more easily and you will want to upgrade as they are outdated. Imo the only advantage of buying a bike new is warranty but that is pointless with cheap components.
    As well as getting a better specced bike buying a used bike will depreciate much less. Dont be put off it, most my bikes have been got used.
    Adverts is probably your best bet but if you post on the used section here someone might be able to sort you out.
    Some examples from adverts
    Hybrid
    https://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/2020-trek-fx-2-large/22009638
    Road bike
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/bicycle-focus-curebro-negotiable/22452271

Heard Halfords are very hit and miss alright. Stories of bad assembly. My girlfriend got a bike from there that was €400 5 years ago and has needed little maintenance

Liking the look of that Trek. Have enquired as to what size it is. Will put some time into searching through Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Hi Darragh, what type of riding do you want to do.
    Road bike long distance
    Hybrib flat and social
    Cyclocross mucky and wet

So many options go to a lbs and see whatbsuits

cletus wrote: »

It was the free 8 week tune up that they gave with all new bikes as most shops do. They provided me with a date and time to come back and get the bike tuned up as new cables losen up shortly after a purchase. Its a 5 min job. They were great when buying the bike off them, gave me the two fingers then after.

I vote with my feet and have never gone back. In the last 20 months, I've spent about 5k on bikes and assessories so it's their lose, not mine. That's my experience of them and if people don't like it, thats their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It was the free 8 week tune up that they gave with all new bikes as most shops do. They provided me with a date and time to come back and get the bike tuned up as new cables losen up shortly after a purchase. Its a 5 min job. They were great when buying the bike off them, gave me the two fingers then after.

I vote with my feet and have never gone back. In the last 20 months, I've spent about 5k on bikes and assessories so it's their lose, not mine. That's my experience of them and if people don't like it, thats their problem.

Ok, so where would you recommend we spend our cash? Where did you spend your 5k?

Sorry, I thought your issue was with the length of time it took them to do the 'service'. I'm aware what normally would be done in those 6 week check ups that bike shops offer.

So the issue is they couldn't fit you in when they said they would? I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a shop prioritising paid work over something like this. I'd be inclined to think that, given what's involved, the two easiest options would be to either just do the stuff yourself, or drop in when you're passing and see can they do the work

Hi Darragh, what type of riding do you want to do.
    Road bike long distance
    Hybrib flat and social
    Cyclocross mucky and wet

So many options go to a lbs and see whatbsuits

I would be cycling around the city and parks with mostly flat land with some hills. Won't be cycling to work so it would be use maybe twice a week.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ok, so where would you recommend we spend our cash? Where did you spend your 5k?

I mentioned earlier if he has 450, declathon may be your best bet. I have bought 4 bikes from penny farthing in camden Street and found them very good to deal with.

Few weeks back, I bought a set of carbon hunts in cycle superstore and found them very nice to deal with also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sorry, I thought your issue was with the length of time it took them to do the 'service'. I'm aware what normally would be done in those 6 week check ups that bike shops offer.

So the issue is they couldn't fit you in when they said they would? I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a shop prioritising paid work over something like this. I'd be inclined to think that, given what's involved, the two easiest options would be to either just do the stuff yourself, or drop in when you're passing and see can they do the work

You'd be as well off buying online then though? The free check up after a month or two is always a selling point of bike shops so I wouldn't see any difference between that and "paid work", it's not like you are dropping in your Canyon unannounced expecting to get the gears indexed

You'd be as well off buying online then though? The free check up after a month or two is always a selling point of bike shops so I wouldn't see any difference between that and "paid work", it's not like you are dropping in your Canyon unannounced expecting to get the gears indexed

It wouldn't bother me to buy online. I'd probably be unlikely to return for that 6 week checkup anyway.

What I'm saying is, considering they'll probably adjust cable tension, and then give the stem, saddle, handlebars and pedals a shake to see is anything loose, I wouldn't be overly concerned if I turned up for it and they were too busy and asked me to come back another day.

It wouldn't bother me to buy online. I'd probably be unlikely to return for that 6 week checkup anyway.

What I'm saying is, considering they'll probably adjust cable tension, and then give the stem, saddle, handlebars and pedals a shake to see is anything loose, I wouldn't be overly concerned if I turned up for it and they were too busy and asked me to come back another day.

But I had cycled from rathfarnham to the shop. I didn't even get an apology. When I went in the following week, they serviced the bike. I asked them while they were doing it could they stick on a rear rack to which they said no, they were too busy. So after messing me around the first time, you think they would just have thrown a rear rack on which I was paying for supply and fit in anway. So yeah, I would be concerned that first a shop wastes your time, does not even give you an apology and then does not want to sell you something and make money cause they couldn't be arsed. As I said, I wouldn't set foot inside the place again.

In 20 months I've bought a trek ds2, 2 kids bikes, giant defy advanced 2 2020, a set of hunt carbon wheels, tyres saddles, shoes etc, etc. It's their lose, not mine. Most of that from penny farthing who I have found very good to deal with.

My giant defy was not ready in penny farthing on time during the lock down when I bought the bike. It was mad busy. I went to the shop on the day and time I was told to collect it when it was meant to be ready. The owner was there and apologised. He dropped the bike up later to my home at 7pm in tallaght with 2 free drink holders. That shop and cycle superstore seem to be good shops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I wouldn't be overly concerned if I turned up for it and they were too busy and asked me to come back another day.
    it'd be one thing if he'd turned up unannounced - quite another though, to turn up at a time *they* suggested, to be turned away. that's appalling service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like the way Halfords do the book in for repairs and collections. Proper schedule and organised.

Always torture getting work done in the local bike shops. Feel I have to hassle them to take the bike and to get it back. Is it done yet etc. Then they don't seem to do what I asked just rush it, often using parts that aren't ideal but whatever was handy in stock in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’ve found Penny Farthing to be hit and miss. The staff are pleasant. They have a good range of accessories for a local bike shop. They were happy to let me take the bike I was looking at out for a short ride and did a bike fit with me. They ordered the bike in, told me they’d ring me when it arrived, and then forgot to ring me for several weeks after it arrived. I also (once) left my bike in for service, returned at the time they advised, to be told they’d forgotten to service it. To be fair, the
    guy then did it in an hour.

However, a couple of months later, my chain started slipping off both my chainring and cassette. I brought the bike to another bike shop near work, and the guy’s eyes widened at how worn the chain was: I needed a new chain, cassette and chainring and it wasn’t cheap. Now, perhaps this all happened in the couple of months since the service, but I have my doubts.

I’d use them for sales again if they had a bike I wanted, but not for servicing. The upshot of the above experience was me learning to do a fair bit myself, and discovering Beecycles in Dolphin’s Barn for what I can’t (whom I do recommend for servicing).

it'd be one thing if he'd turned up unannounced - quite another though, to turn up at a time *they* suggested, to be turned away. that's appalling service.

Yeah, maybe so. I just don't think I'd have been overly upset :)

Like I said, in reality I probably wouldn't have bothered going in anyway. That's all my derailing done for this thread

Yeah, maybe so. I just don't think I'd have been overly upset :)

Like I said, in reality I probably wouldn't have bothered going in anyway. That's all my derailing done for this thread

Who said they were overly upset? They advertised a free service with all new bikes sold and they messed me around. I didn't get overly upset, I just wouldn't go back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Few weeks back, I bought a set of carbon hunts in cycle superstore and found them very nice to deal with also.

Do you mind me asking do CSS order HUNTS in?

Advertisement