Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH Retrofit rough price

Options
  • 28-12-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like a rough price for a wet underfloor heating installation please?

I dont own the particular property yet, but almost there.

House is 100m2 downstairs. Currently, suspended floor, rads, oil boiler. Dublin.
    So I am thinking I could rip out the existing floors, remove doors, skirting, eg do as much prep work as possible for UFH contractor. I would hope to keep exisiting kitchen, hope it wouldnt get in the way to much. its just one row of base cabinets.

I would have a limited budget once house is bought so, there are other house upgrades that wouldn't be possible until later on, eg. internal wall insulation.
    Windows are recent enough double glazed.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So do you intend replacing the suspended floors with mass concert before the UFH goes in?
    Before any discussion of UFH, or any heating for that matter, the airtightness of the house needs to be resolved, then insulation, them heating controls, then heating systems

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Citroen2cv

So do you intend replacing the suspended floors with mass concert before the UFH goes in?
    Before any discussion of UFH, or any heating for that matter, the airtightness of the house needs to be resolved, then insulation, them heating controls, then heating systems

Yes, I would remove the suspended floors. Unfortunately due to budget, I wouldn't be able to do all of the above upgrades at once. The only reason to do the floor first was that before moving in furniture into the house, the floors are clear to be ripped up. I wouldn't expect the UFH to be fully efficient until all the upgrades are done. Also the d/s floor would have to be insulated at some stage, so while insulating it, may as well go with UFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    Yes, I would remove the suspended floors. Unfortunately due to budget, I wouldn't be able to do all of the above upgrades at once. The only reason to do the floor first was that before moving in furniture into the house, the floors are clear to be ripped up. I wouldn't expect the UFH to be fully efficient until all the upgrades are done. Also the d/s floor would have to be insulated at some stage, so while insulating it, may as well go with UFH.

That could be part of your problem though, if you install UFH and the house is leaking air due to lack of insulation then you are further away from saving up to install insulation because youre going to face higher energy bills via the UFH.

If the only reason to do the floor now is to do with furniture moving I would reconsider, its would hardly be more than a couple of hours work to clear the ground floor of furniture at some point in the future.

How warm/cold is the house right now? Id say it might be a good idea to live in it for a few weeks before making your mind up on what works take place first. If the windows are in good shape then you should be looking at the attic, doors and walls in terms of insulation with the attic giving the best bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Are you planning on installing a heat pump to heat the house or run it off a gas or oil burner ? The latter two are not very economical as it needs to be kept to whatever temp is set on the stats.
    Another thing to consider is what way is the downstairs wiring running a lot of the time its under suspended flooring so would have to be rewired for concrete floors.

Also the best way of doing internal insulation would be to run it below your floor insulation before pouring the floor screed.
    It would be worth looking at the grants available for insulation and heat pumps but the job you are looking to do is not cheap certainly not to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Are you planning on installing a heat pump to heat the house or run it off a gas or oil burner ? The latter two are not very economical as it needs to be kept to whatever temp is set on the stats.
    Another thing to consider is what way is the downstairs wiring running a lot of the time its under suspended flooring so would have to be rewired for concrete floors.

Also the best way of doing internal insulation would be to run it below your floor insulation before pouring the floor screed.
    It would be worth looking at the grants available for insulation and heat pumps but the job you are looking to do is not cheap certainly not to do it right.

It would run off an existing oil boiler. I believe it's not a very old condensing boiler. Good points on the wiring and internal insulation, I had not considered. It does make a staged approach to the house insulation upgrades make less sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Just to point out that insulation and air tightness are not the same thing and address two distinct / different heat loss mechanisms.
    Perhaps OP you might benefit from a heat loss survey to identify not only what needs to be done but also the most appropriate sequence. The danger being you may end up with a mish mash of expensive "improvements" with little in the way of real benefit.

Advertisement