Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Degag wrote: »
    That's hillarious, how have i not seen that before??!! His Wiki page makes for interesting reading too.

Great thread!
    Charlie Brooker showed the clip and did a pisstake of it on Screenwipe.
    Bill was threatening to move over here when he retired, thank God he didn't.
    Imagine bumping into him in the pub and spilling his pint! It would be like the Trainspotting scene with Begby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
    Francie Barrett boxing for Ireland.
    A traveller from Tuam, coached by the local barber named Chick. It was a great story. A decent sportsman doing everyone proud and making a bit of history for his people.

Until Marty Morrissey went down to interview Francie's family one night for RTE...
    A gathering of various Tuam people, headed by numerous local travellers, gathered round a barrell on fire, replete with every visual stereotype you could imagine. And Marty famously asks Mrs Barrett, or one of the assembled women, in words I can't exactly remember, if Francie had ever practiced his boxing skills on her.... you know, that sorta thing...
    And that man remains one of RTE's most prominent presenters to this day.

Oh man, I remember that especially the barrel of fire. Annoyed I didn’t think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Sorry I missed it. I seem to remember that Van Damme had addiction issues back in the day. I put it down to him being high. The bit I'm thinking of was him arm wrestling the Eastenders actress Michelle Collins.

No need to apologize, I’m glad someone else remembers it.

It was so weird to see Van Damme who as you say was a major star at the time being on People in Need. But he didn’t provide much entertainment, intentionally anyway.

Chris Penn, Sean’s brother, appeared on good grief Moncrieff in the 90s. Penn and Moncrieff didn’t really develop a good repoire. It culminated in Penn threatening Moncrieff’s physical safety in front of a live studio audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

nullzero wrote: »
    To be fair it's probably the worst thing ever to be broadcast live.

You’ve obviously never watched the Eurovision.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The doves of peace being incinerated during the opening ceremony of the Seoul Olympics and the assasination of Lee Harvey Oswald on prime time TV are standouts.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭interlocked

I posted this in another thread years ago

"Well, it could be the night on the Late Late that Gay had to take off his trousers before the producer/floor manager would agree for the programme to go off the air. He had earlier made a couple of lads do the same in order to win a trouser press and then made them return to the audience and watch the rest of the show in their y fronts alongside their partners.

When he was wrapping the show up, the producer/floor manager came up to him on camera and said that the switchboard was lit up and that they weren't going off air until Gay took off his own trousers. it was probably a set up but it was the talk of the place for the next week.

Bur more probably, the night on the show that a stocious Ollie Reed did press ups over a prostate Susan George (fellow guest) and er, kept forgetting to press up, He then took off his shirt and proceeded to do a handstand on the back of a chair.

They had to bring him back the following Saturday to apologise.....

Now THAT was entertainment."

I would pay good money to see that again, I was only a kid but it's still burned into the synapses, I guess the tapes must have been wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A traveller from Tuam, coached by the local barber named Chick. It was a great story. A decent sportsman doing everyone proud and making a bit of history for his people.

Until Marty Morrissey went down to interview Francie's family one night for RTE...
    A gathering of various Tuam people, headed by numerous local travellers, gathered round a barrell on fire, replete with every visual stereotype you could imagine. And Marty famously asks Mrs Barrett, or one of the assembled women, in words I can't exactly remember, if Francie had ever practiced his boxing skills on her.... you know, that sorta thing...

Bit of a false memory there old boy, Francie was a hillside man from galway, Chicks barber shop was down at the end of shop st kind of accross from juries, that interview was filmed out at hillside, the ould brain is a funny thing all right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

John Alridge calmly explaining to the official in an Irish way that he was allowed to go on as a substitute in USA 94, broadcast to countless millions around the world.

Pat Kenny bizarrely ripping up the Late Late Toy show tickets when the winner said she wouldn't go.

Luke O' Neill - nothing specific, just in general.

I would say "pontificating" guy was the best though hands down - he was right as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Luke O' Neill - nothing specific, just in general.

He was rocking out with Mindy on the rte countdown the other day - would be a great one to go for a few pints with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It is like a plot from the Simpsons!

Actually, now I re-watch it, the interview with the chap who says "we have never done this before, so we don't know how much explosive to use" reminds me of a very similar discussion we had with some EOD blokes in Iraq. We had lost an armored vehicle off the side of a cliff and just couldn't get the thing out again. We told the EOD blokes to blow it up.

They came to brief the CO that evening, and outright said "There is nothing in the manual for this, we don't have a clue what it'll take, so we wandered over to the artillery guys and asked them for 15 155mm shells. We figure that'll be enough"

The CO just looked at him gape-jawed. "Enough for the truck, the cliff, and the village at the top of the cliff. Give me a plan B..."
    (Eventually went with linear shaped charges)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Bit of a false memory there old boy, Francie was a hillside man from galway, Chicks barber shop was down at the end of shop st kind of accross from juries, that interview was filmed out at hillside, the ould brain is a funny thing all right

Chicks was on Lower Dominik St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bill O'Reilly has a melt down because he can't understand the phrase 'to play us out'

Silly arse!

It is like watching Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) on Newsradio :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Jaysus, I remember that and the question. It was his mother all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Apologies - geography isn't my strong point. Too many head punches methinks
    Sorry Shams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Apologies - geography isn't my strong point. Too many head punches methinks
    Sorry Shams

Never mind I made an error myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Jack o Connor SIPTU couldn't stick the heat so he got out of the kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I remember a tribute show to Jack Charlton I think after he retired. I can't remember who was presenting the show - Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny or Jimmy Magee? - Anyway the mic was going around to people in the audience who were singing his praises until a Indian or Pakistani doctor from Limerick said he knew a man from back home who looked the spit of Jack which drew a laugh. Charlton was visibly vexed and replied "Well I wouldn't want to look like you!" The doctor's face fell and he was clearly hurt humiliated and angry. Charlton laughed and the audience laughed too and the mic went onto the next person.

I remember a tribute show to Jack Charlton I think after he retired. I can't remember who was presenting the show - Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny or Jimmy Magee? - Anyway the mic was going around to people in the audience who were singing his praises until a Indian or Pakistani doctor from Limerick said he knew a man from back home who looked the spit of Jack which drew a laugh. Charlton was visibly vexed and replied "Well I wouldn't want to look like you!" The doctor's face fell and he was clearly hurt humiliated and angry. Charlton laughed and the audience laughed too and the mic went onto the next person.

I remember that, the guy was African. Think he was talking about someone in Ireland rather than his own country. As far as I recall Jack said "well I dont look like you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Needless to say Youtube is silent on this matter but I have a definite memory of Samantha Mumba being on the Late Late in the Kenny era when a "wardrobe malfunction" occurred.

The front of her top was gaping open so much that Camera 3 closed in on her face while presumably safety pins were fitted. Does anyone remember this event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just came across this mini documentary on this gobsh1te on Youtube, funny to read other nationalities reactions to him in the comments:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Another from Jack. I was watching this at the time

https://youtu.be/-8x3sr4cCXE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I can't remember if it was People in Need on RTE or some other charidee show, but I remember Van Damme being on as a guest and an actress from Eastenders. Van Damme was around the peak of his career which I'd say was early 90's and I'm not sure if it was the pressure of being amongst the stellar talent at rte of if it the event was sponsored by Pablo Escobar, but I remember him being really creepy and smarmy trying to shift yer wan.

maxresdefault.jpg

Vincent finished the show by playing "hit the road, jack" as the credits rolled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just thought of another, Marc Vivien-For collapsing and dying on the pitch for Cameroon.
    I think it was a summer tournament in France and it was on Eurosport. I was on crutches for the summer as a teenager so I'd watch anything on tv to pass the time. I was delighted when I saw some football was on.

I remember him getting treatment at the time and the commentators not really knowing what was going on (might even have just been that one commentator that does everything on Eurosport). But when they were stretchering him off it was clear he was possibly already dead, his arm was limp and hanging down and his eyes were rolled back. The camera lingered a bit too long before cutting away.

I was watching Sky News when they were reporting on the first IRA ceasefire in 1994. They were taking calls from members of the public in the North I think talking about their experiences of the troubles. One old guy from Belfast came on talking about discrimination against Catholics in the 60s when he came out with the line "we were treated like the n!ggers in South Africa". I think it was Adam Bolton in the studio. I'll never forget the look on his face as he quickly moved on to the next caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was watching Sky News when they were reporting on the first IRA ceasefire in 1994. They were taking calls from members of the public in the North I think talking about their experiences of the troubles. One old guy from Belfast came on talking about discrimination against Catholics in the 60s when he came out with the line "we were treated like the n!ggers in South Africa". I think it was Adam Bolton in the studio. I'll never forget the look on his face as he quickly moved on to the next caller.
    Who was the Irish politician, female I think, who thanked some people in a speech by saying 'they have been working like blacks'?
    It was quite recent too.

Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who was the Irish politician, female I think, who thanked some people in a speech by saying 'they have been working like blacks'?
    It was quite recent too.

Thargor wrote: »
    Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

Well retired now on a huge pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

At about 1 minute in, Geoff Hurst says the N word

The fact that it is used here in a well known idiom would make it slightly less offensive but still. However I don't recall any fuss made about this at the time.

Honestly youtube and "the old vt" have spoiled us a bit for clips, there are so many treasures we can all see now:

I recommend the News Be Funny youtube channel - I'm sometimes embarrassed at how funny I find it.

youtube.com/user/NewsBeFunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

• Advertisement

• Right now in Washington DC will go up there as one of the maddest things ever seen on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Right now in Washington DC will go up there as one of the maddest things ever seen on TV.

Popcorn moment

A badly executed coup in the Spanish Parliament. What s time to be trying to learn Spanish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

History in the making now live on tv as Trump supporters take the Capital Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

History in the making now live on tv as Trump supporters take the Capital Building.

Yup definitely one of the craziest things I've seen in a very long time on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

I was twelve I think, watching the great Tommy Cooper at a live Royal variety show. Few mins into sketch, he drops to floor, curtain comes down while you see someone drag him back. He had a massive heart attack. What a way to go though. The crowd thought it was part of the act

It wasnt live but the nation was absolutely riveted:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I remember this live call on Late Late Show, turns out he was a spoofer using the mans name, they had to apologise the next week to the man named...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Francisco Bustamante throwing his cue at the ref after missing the 9 ball to win the World Pool Championship in 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

One that wouldn't be too well known here.

Jim Everett was an NFL quarterback. Jim Rome - a smarmy, up-his-own-hole talk show radio host had a running gag where he kept calling him Chris (referring to female tennis player at the time Chris Evert)

Rome had Jim Everett on his show, and called him Chris again. Everett said "I don't think you'll do that again..", and Rome foolishly called his bluff.

Also, the time Shaquille O'Neill tripped over studio wire during a half time show. Genuinely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

fr neil horan running on to the track at the british grand prix in 2003 nearly getting hit as the cars were doing top speed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listen to the passion of nbc's morning news anchor Joe Scarborough about wednesday's riot,
    he doesn't hold back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Don't know if this is true or urban myth and apologies that it's radio not TV related but for me this is a cracker.......if true!!

An RTE 2 Radio Gerry Ryan phone in asking people where they would wish to be buried.

Gerry Ryan: "Would you like to be buried or cremated?"

Caller: "Buried Gerry."

Gerry Ryan: "Where would you like to be buried?"

Caller: "Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭quodec

Giant Haystack showing Jackie Fullerton the slam!! I remember seeing this on ITV, sometime in the 1980s. Still painful to watch but also hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoRzkkBXsM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thargor wrote: »

Does a small pointless column on athone advertiser each week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Francisco Bustamante throwing his cue at the ref after missing the 9 ball to win the World Pool Championship in 2004

Link for this?

Bustamante wasn't in the final in 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tame compared to alot of others but big Dell Sailor breaking another players arm while arm wrestling on the Footy Show in Australia

Remember last year when Nell McCafferty started shouting something during the huge Gay Byrne memorial special on tv and they had to pull the mic away from her. In retrospect it may not have been as mad as it sounds (at least from an article like the following, which might have PR from her/her family) but still a pretty wild moment at the time. (can't post urls because I'm a new user).

thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/4745989/nell-mccafferty-not-drunk-late-show/

• Advertisement
Advertisement