Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room relief + Airbnb

Options
  • 28-12-2020 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, we are planning to buy a 3 bedroom apartment to live in and will rent out one of the rooms under the rent a room scheme. Would anyone know if we could do the occasional (<90 days) airbnb of the 3rd room without affecting the rent a room relief or the CGT PPR relief if we sell in future? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Lavanniaj wrote: »
    Hi, we are planning to buy a 3 bedroom apartment to live in and will rent out one of the rooms under the rent a room scheme. Would anyone know if we could do the occasional (<90 days) airbnb of the 3rd room without affecting the rent a room relief or the CGT PPR relief if we sell in future? Thank you in advance!

I stand to be corrected on this, but

The income from rent a room will not be affected if you Airbnb the 3rd room.

However, airbnbing the 3rd room will impact on your ppr relief as part of your property will be a commercial enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maximus47

Air B and B is considered as Trading and not rental so will not get the rent a room relief and will impact on PPR.

Maximus47 wrote: »
    Air B and B is considered as Trading and not rental so will not get the rent a room relief and will impact on PPR.

But if they let out one room on rent a room basis, and the other as air bnb surely the room let out on rent a room basis should qualify for that relief?

Yes agree 100%. Only the Air B and B caught as trading. Good idea to value furniture etc for capital allowances and also
    portion of light and heat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lavanniaj

Thanks a million both! I had thought though, that if the airbnb was less than 90days and we are living in the property, it would not be considered trading or a change in use?

• Advertisement

Lavanniaj wrote: »
    Thanks a million both! I had thought though, that if the airbnb was less than 90days and we are living in the property, it would not be considered trading or a change in use?

If its not rent a room, its trading.

The 90 day restriction is not, to best of my knowledge a tax issue. It may be illegal to airbnb for more than 90 days but that wouldn’t matter to Revenue.

And, change in use is also, I think irrelevant where tax is concerned.

Revenue will look at source of income

Rent a room - no tax
    Airbnb - trading
    Renting out a property - rental income (different rules to trading).

In agreement with Will Yam

Advertisement