Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Descending Howth and descending in general

Options
  • 28-12-2020 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys first time post but I was out cycling today and something happened that really annoyed me so just wanted to get people's view.
    I was descending Howth from the Summit Inn towards the village. I'm am not a fast ascender but I do enjoy descending. I was cycling with a friend and we were both tucked down trying to get aero and take advantage of freewheeling. We weren't doing a Frome sitting on the top tube or anything, just tucked down.
    As I was passing another cyclist on his way up the hill he made a w*nker jesture to me as if to say I was a w*nker for trying to get aero as I'm not a pro cyclist.
    I cycle around Howth a lot and have never come across this before.
    What are people's views on this ? Is if frowned upon in some way ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't descend at speed down a steep hill through a heavily populated area, that's all. if you want to open up speed wise, do it down past the graveyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Yes. A lot of locals get grumpy over fast descenders into the village. It makes turning out of side roads or driveways difficult. There are a lot of retirees in the area.

There have been many accidents around the church and shops over the years, which are fresh in the memory of local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

don't descend at speed down a steep hill through a heavily populated area, that's all. if you want to open up speed wise, do it down past the graveyard.

Graveyard is the last place to be descending fast firstly youve got a primary school at the bottom and secondly youve people visiting graves randomly opening car doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alberto2014

I'm not so sure it was the speed that prompted the jesture. It was on a fairly straight stretch with good visibility for me and other road users. I agree the village is a minefield and I always reduce my speed going through there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tony04 wrote: »
    Graveyard is the last place to be descending fast firstly youve got a primary school at the bottom and secondly youve people visiting graves randomly opening car doors
    oh, i woudn't come past at any speed if there were schoolkids around, and with the graveyard, you've ample visibility up ahead and i stick close to the middle of the road. again, not at speed if it looks busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Honestly howth isnt the place for it. If you're fast enough to bother tucking you're probably too fast for what is essentially a village main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..What are people's views on this ?...
    Move on. Life's too short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine it was for the aero tuck coming into a village as whatever advantage it might give you, is muted by the fact that you have to slow coming in, I mean, why bother. Was there a reason you needed to get more aero? its a short descent through a built up area, there is no advantage to tucking, you aren't going to stop with the descent and your not racing so it all seems a bit pointless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Don't mind him and just move on.
    It is a fast descent but a busy area.
    I take it easy on the rare occasions I go there nowadays but did go made a few times in my youth.....
    Not in a position to lecture anyone ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alberto2014

Thanks for the various views. I probably tuck for a period to save some pedaling. I know I have to eventually slow down and it is a short descent but freewheeling while it lasts is enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks for the various views. I probably tuck for a period to save some pedaling. I know I have to eventually slow down and it is a short descent but freewheeling while it lasts is enjoyable.

I suppose the point is that tucking won't change that much if at all, so it's a question of what's the point, you gain little or nothing. This said, looking at my Strava on occasion, I shouldn't lecture people about safe descending, also just rereading your post, you weren't on the top tube or in a position that costs you control. Maybe the sign was for something else, or he himself had cramp in his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That descent has been ruined now they have those lights at Asgard Road. you just never know if they are about to change to red. They have never turned red while I've been descending, but you have to be ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Biker79 wrote: »
    There have been many accidents around the church and shops over the years, which are fresh in the memory of local residents.
    and in the memory of those of us involved :(

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That descent has been ruined now they have those lights at Asgard Road. you just never know if they are about to change to red. They have never turned red while I've been descending, but you have to be ready for it.
    I think that might just be the point :p

Unless your brakes are rubbing or you've very high resistance tyres, you're going to reach a max safe speed before you're half way down from the Summit. Tucking really just ensures that you end up braking harder and sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

and in the memory of those of us involved :(

I think that might just be the point :p

Unless your brakes are rubbing or you've very high resistance tyres, you're going to reach a max safe speed before you're half way down from the Summit. Tucking really just ensures that you end up braking harder and sooner.

Actually the fastest point is just after those lights as the right hand bend, just before the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I passed them in the opposite direction on the sutton cycle path.
    Stuck in my head as I was think great to see teenage girls taking to cycling, especially given the success of some of our women cyclists. her dad seemed like he was Teaching her some extra road craft too

Shame that what was probably an enjoyable day for father and child to be utterly ruined by some div.

I had no problems with anyone, and had a lot more patience than normal from many drivers. I got lucky

Advertisement