Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecommerce store shipping to UK after Brexit

Options
  • 28-12-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have a small ecommerce store that i run as a side business.
    Its relatively new and i don't quite reach the turnover to register for VAT yet but may well have to this coming year.
    I sell mostly in Ireland with the odd package going to the UK.
    My packages are always the same weight and size. Its a package less than 250g so normally costs me €4.80 in Ireland and around €6.50 for the UK. Value is normally around €60.
    Will i now have to register for vat in the UK?
    Is there an online calculator somewhere that i can pop in the details and it will work out any extra customs charges and VAT i will have to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why bother at all with the UK when you have the massive EU market next to it.

My experience of the uk is one where people are dishonest, packages going "missing" and items "not in the package"

So much so that we always photographed the boxes when being packaged and weighed them and enjoyed taking the UK off the shipping list last week.

Netherlands and Belgium are great markets, most speak English (esp Netherlands) and are not dishonest like many UK people. Czech republic and Slovakia are also interesting markets and can be very good if you have the right product.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Darc19 wrote: »

My experience of the uk is one where people are dishonest, packages going "missing" and items "not in the package"

So much so that we always photographed the boxes when being packaged and weighed them and enjoyed taking the UK off the shipping list last week.

Netherlands and Belgium are great markets, most speak English (esp Netherlands) and are not dishonest like many UK people. Czech republic and Slovakia are also interesting markets and can be very good if you have the right product.

Thanks for your reply.
    I’m not sure it’s fair to brand a whole nation as dishonest because of a few bad experiences but I do agree that the EU market is a good and often untapped opportunity.

For now, I’m just looking to see if it will still be viable to sell to the UK.
    Can anyone help me on what my VAT and customs charges will be from my dimensions in the op?

nino1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    I’m not sure it’s fair to brand a whole nation as dishonest because of a few bad experiences but I do agree that the EU market is a good and often untapped opportunity.

For now, I’m just looking to see if it will still be viable to sell to the UK.
    Can anyone help me on what my VAT and customs charges will be from my dimensions in the op?
    There is a huge amount of dishonesty in the UK online market. That's our experience.

I was always amazed at how nothing gets lost or items not included in any orders except for the UK. At one point it was running at 30%+ of dispatches.

We simply increased delivery costs to €15 and stopped all advertising in the market.

As for your issues, you need to register for vat in the uk, charge uk vat and then make returns to hmrc.

On top of that there are customs forms.

I'd look at other eu markets. You'd be surprised how profitable they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

As for your issues, you need to register for vat in the uk, charge uk vat and then make returns to hmrc.

On top of that there are customs forms.

Thanks for the help, that's much appreciated.
    Do you know if you still have to register for VAT if your turnover is below the UK threshold or is that irrelevant in cases of importing to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I have to say that I find UK customers great to deal with just like Irish, German and American ones. May I ask how you market your business in countries such as the Netherlands and Belgium? Also do you use fulfillment centers based in those countries or do you post from Ireland? I'm trying to expand pretty rapidly in more EU countries for 2021 so any advice is appreciated!

• Advertisement

tacofries wrote: »
    I have to say that I find UK customers great to deal with just like Irish, German and American ones. May I ask how you market your business in countries such as the Netherlands and Belgium? Also do you use fulfillment centers based in those countries or do you post from Ireland? I'm trying to expand pretty rapidly in more EU countries for 2021 so any advice is appreciated!
    We simply use DPD, but we have the volume to get a very good price €11.20 for zone 1 (benelux, Germany, France) to €14.60 for zone 4 (Sweden, Italy, Spain)

Fullfillment not suitable as there are 1500+ items.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

nino1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, that's much appreciated.
    Do you know if you still have to register for VAT if your turnover is below the UK threshold or is that irrelevant in cases of importing to the UK?

Start from this link, which details the regulations currently and then click on the Brexit link at the top of the page and dive in!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-what-to-do-if-youre-an-overseas-business-selling-goods-in-the-uk#:~:text=Distance%20selling%20only%20involves%20goods,%C2%A370%2C000%20in%20a%20year.&text=If%20you're%20outside%20the,UK%20are%20not%20distance%20sales.

Not sure how overloaded the HMRC phone lines are at present, I can only imagine the wait times, but they have been very helpful when I've spoken to them previously, not quite as knowledgeable as Revenue in Ireland but usually willing to help.

Advertisement