Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epic Games Launcher

Options
  • 28-12-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick heads up in relation to the EPIC Games launcher, I read online that the app is drawing alot more resources then it should be and reports are stating online that its adding alot of heat to the CPU as its been run like a game in the background.

I can confirm that opening this app and leaving it idle adds 11c to my CPU and 6 to the GPU.....11c is a big buimp in thermals!!!

No other app does this for me, my normal temps playing any other game is 55-58c, now its 66-70c which is still fine but annoying as it makes my fans go higher.

My GPU is also mid 65c with this app running.

Just for peeps who bought CP 2077 on EPIC store and need the app to launch it
    might make their temps mad now. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tencent are being cnuts and honestly you should not use EGS at all.

Exclusivity deals hurt all gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't buy consoles then either. Tencent only own a small share of Epic anyway. What is it? 10%? Do you believe China is gathering data through epic games store? Silliest conspiracy I've heard in a while.

The constant cpu usage of the launcher is annoying though. No idea what's going on. It uses about 3% of my cpu even minimized which pushes the auto clock speed up and idle temps then. GPU usage is 0% minimized though. It only uses gpu when displaying graphics which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's likely a bug on the client side which was introduced as part of the updates over the Christmas period. Hopefully enough noise is made over it that it's fixed quickly as those spikes are wholly unnecessary even if they were scraping data wholesale.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Don't buy consoles then either. Tencent only own a small share of Epic anyway. What is it?
    40% ;)

Jesus alright the Chinese are spying on us then.

Big fan of Tim Sweeney but I resent him for selling such a large share to Tencent. They have been doing acquisitions for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    Don't buy consoles then either. Tencent only own a small share of Epic anyway. What is it? 10%? Do you believe China is gathering data through epic games store? Silliest conspiracy I've heard in a while.

Except they 100% did slurp up all the steam data they could. How naughty that is is up to you but doesnt speak to respecting your system.

Don't buy consoles then either.

I don't. Havent had a console since the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Was just the friends list was it not? Which they claimed was a mistake. Fairly tame compared to some of the data gathering going on by some companies even if it was intentional.

360 was my last console as well. Not a fan of exclusives either but they are trying to stop steams monopoly which is no bad thing. Have over 100 free games from the epic game store already in the last couple of years as well so they are doing some good stuff there.

What they do on the game engine and developer support front is where I am a fan though so I'm a bit more forgiving of what they do on the game store side.

Advertisement