Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weds 30th early hours + morning: Munster/south Leinster snow and ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Moderate drizzle at Kerry Airport.

METAR EIKY 300000Z AUTO VRB02KT 9999 DZ SCT041/// OVC070/// 03/02 Q1006=

Moderate drizzle? Makes a change from normal drizzle I suppose, snizzle is what we really want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Try using this one instead. Does not differentiate sleet though.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif
    Precip really has disappeared for Galway. Such an unexpected turn of events - sarcasm...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Would give anything for a drop of rain in athlone overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Moderate drizzle? Makes a change from normal drizzle I suppose, snizzle is what we really want though.

It's since turned to light rain :pac:

METAR EIKY 300130Z AUTO VRB02KT 9999 -RA FEW019/// SCT026/// OVC032/// 03/02 Q1005=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I see we have 4 posts in 3 hours on a snow watch thread. Going well clearly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭bassy

Freezing hard in north KILKENNY

Looking at the radar the precipitation looks like its a Kerry, Clare Limerick and Cork affair only, and a rainy affair at that. Its 2c with a dp of 0 in Cork so close to being snow but not close enough it seems (lack of intensity meaning no real evaporative cooling either)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Spitting freezing rain/sleet here with a full moon,game over probably

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well. yes, because at the end of your journey you'll be in Dingle.

lol.. I would dearly love to go to Dingle.... I really would.

You are forgetting that the alternative is to stay in Tralee!

Touche!

• Advertisement

I see we have 4 posts in 3 hours on a snow watch thread. Going well clearly!

lol.. people have to sleep ! I am enjoying reading the thread all at once, and the wry humour on these occasions.

I have not ventured out since I woke but all is blissfully quiet out here. So I guess my " last snowman" is not going to be born yet.

This is my 5th winter out here and we did have snow one year.

Very quiet out here now. Chill and still. Peace after gale is always sweet

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭bassy

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol.. people have to sleep ! I am enjoying reading the thread all at once, and the wry humour on these occasions.

I have not ventured out since I woke but all is blissfully quiet out here. So I guess my " last snowman" is not going to be born yet.

This is my 5th winter out here and we did have snow one year.

Very quiet out here now. Chill and still. Peace after gale is always sweet

West Mayo offshore

Are you near belmullet graces ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not much energy in this wave, and it is creeping through fast enough that it would need to get its act together soon or it's going to be out to sea again, the northern stream looks a bit more promising and probably the best chances for snow might be sea effect streamers hitting Donegal and northern Connacht later on, for one thing, uppers improve slowly for that phase.

I think most here would trade this weak event for what's showing on some model runs this morning though, real cold seems to be a possibility by mid-January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Once again, not a flake here in wexford. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Éireann caught out by this one. I was sceptical myself going on what others had posted in here but looks like even high ground didn’t even benefit from this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Met Éireann caught out by this one. I was sceptical myself going on what others had posted in here but looks like even high ground didn’t even benefit from this.

So why did it all go pear shaped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

It didn't, people just see the word snow in the forecast and expect to wake up to a foot of snow without understanding what is actually being forecast. Words which people generally skip over when reading a forecast include ....'risk of', 'possible', 'in places'.... and all they actually remember is the word snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wave was much weaker and further south than on model runs on Monday and probably weaker and further south than output even yesterday

South England were even expecting snow from this but looks unlikely now.

Fortunately the long term outlook is still of interest, our day of snow will surely arrive at some point over next 3 weeks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Wave was much weaker and further south than on model runs on Monday and probably weaker and further south than output even yesterday

Fortunately the long term outlook is still of interest, our day of snow will surely arrive at some point over next 3 weeks!

Maybe........maybe not.

kod87 wrote: »
    It didn't, people just see the word snow in the forecast and expect to wake up to a foot of snow without understanding what is actually being forecast. Words which people generally skip over when reading a forecast include ....'risk of', 'possible', 'in places'.... and all they actually remember is the word snow.

There was a yellow warning in fairness, and the risk was of snow to low levels. If, as appears, there wasn't even snow at higher levels then it is legitimate to ask what happened. That said, I'm glad ME put out a yellow warning for snow when there was a genuine risk. In the past they have been overly reluctant to do that in case, as has happened here, it doesn't come to pass. But no harm done, they warned us of a risk as the models and their expertise suggested same but that risk didn't ultimately come to pass. So be it, we move on. That's how it should be.

• Advertisement

This is one where it all went south on us, literally. The precipitation just didn't materialise as models were showing, probably due to lack of upper forcing. We have a great big nothing out west when it comes to gathering data, so it's not surprising that we get a bust like this from time to time. We had good cold in place, it's just that the low got stage fright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Frontal events rarely deliver snow on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

True this only ever going to be a sloppy mess. Bound to get something of interest over the next few weeks though knowing our luck this SSW will tilt the charts against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

There are plenty of very knowledgeable posters here who called it a bust 24hrs ago. It was never going to amount to more than a dusting anywhere except high up. But this is a far different winter to last year's, and early enough in it for plenty more snow opportunities upcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looked at satellite last night on sat 24 and everything seemed to be slipping South before it arrived to our shores. Surely Met Eireann saw this. I only thought there would definitely be snow coz Met had it in their forecast and I thought they were more reliable than us here. But alas. Nobody but Kermit seems to know when there will be snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Another yellow warning that didnt go as planned - the last one, issued very late, removed a roof off an outbuilding here after borderline orange gusts - this one I was more snow hoping and looking forward to than anything else - we have a dusting on the hills and maybe there will be falls later.

But what irked my snow lonely head was the update this morning it changed the yellow snow warning to include fewer counties - it said the warning started at 6am but was issued at 6.57am (or something like that) Why do I get the feeling that someone is putting their arm out the window to gauge the weather lately :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There was a yellow warning in fairness, and the risk was of snow to low levels. If, as appears, there wasn't even snow at higher levels then it is legitimate to ask what happened. That said, I'm glad ME put out a yellow warning for snow when there was a genuine risk. In the past they have been overly reluctant to do that in case, as has happened here, it doesn't come to pass. But no harm done, they warned us of a risk as the models and their expertise suggested same but that risk didn't ultimately come to pass. So be it, we move on. That's how it should be.

The warning is also for ice, which in itself is worth warning people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fairly disappointing in the end but as others have said more opportunities to come over the next couple of weeks.

Very narrow margins between snow and no snow.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The warning is also for ice, which in itself is worth warning people about.

Indeed yes. for road safety ice is more dangerous than snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement