Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get away from pods. Help on where to go from here

Options
  • 28-12-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have a Tassimo machine for the past 5 years or so. It's fine but it is getting old.

Not a big coffee drinker, maybe 2 in a day.

I was thinking of getting a filter machine but thought it might be wasteful if not drinking a lot.
    I don't want to spend huge money on a fancy machine that I'll not get the full use of.

I'm a bit clueless and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Should I stick with pods? Maybe a different type?

Should I go the filter route, or maybe something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

batman1 wrote: »
    I have a Tassimo machine for the past 5 years or so. It's fine but it is getting old.

Not a big coffee drinker, maybe 2 in a day.

I was thinking of getting a filter machine but thought it might be wasteful if not drinking a lot.
    I don't want to spend huge money on a fancy machine that I'll not get the full use of.

I'm a bit clueless and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Should I stick with pods? Maybe a different type?

Should I go the filter route, or maybe something else.

Would suggest getting an aeropress. Very easy to make your coffee. You just need to buy ground beans. Velo is sold at Aldi.

Otherwise a Moka pot, just takes a bit longer.

I'm sure others will give suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Just get a French press as you can still drink it white if needed. They're really cheap too and if you like the coffee brewed in it you can go for something better later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

+1 on the French Press.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Spend your money on a good burr grinder. You'll never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would agree with this - then you have the options of lots of different set-ups for very little extra outlay - aeropress (€30), french press (€10 in some cases), clever dripper (€25), hario v60 (€10) and try out what you like over time. Plus you can also go down the espresso route if you want to invest in an espresso machine down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Forgive my ignorance, but what is it exactly?

Not a bother, basically a burr grinder will enable you to buy freshly roasted, whole beans and grind them when required, as opposed to preground coffee (which dries out nearly immediately)

Once you have your grinder, the door is open. As caviardreams highlighted, you can use most brew methods from there. A decent, entry level burr grinder will cost >150e though.

I think it's a bit much to expect someone drinking nespresso to invest in a burr grinder tbh. Dip your toe in before you fall down the rabbit hole that is speciality coffee forking out 200 euro plus on equipment.

Buy some freshly roasted beans from a speciality coffee shop and a French press. If you ask them nicely they'll grind it up for you for no charge. Just tell them your brew method. If you still prefer Nespresso then you can buy yourself a pod machine and work away safe in the knowledge you haven't wasted a huge amount of money. I doubt you'll go back though!

I've yet to find someone who purchased a burr grinder, brewed some freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee, kicked back and enjoyed their brew and said "no, this ain't for me."

If it did happen, and it won't, the grinder could be flicked on using adverts or buy and sell for a small hit so there won't be a "huge amount of money wasted".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Have to ask but what is the difference between a burr grinder and a regular grinder. I was looking to the delonghi kg49 for 50 euro, would this not be considered a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

You can grind coffee beans as you need them with a normal food processor. Only a complete sucker would spend €200 on equipment especially for that.

A French press is the best way of preparing coffee. You can even froth the milk in one if you want a cappuccino.

zweton wrote: »
    Have to ask but what is the difference between a burr grinder and a regular grinder. I was looking to the delonghi kg49 for 50 euro, would this not be considered a good one?

A burr grinder produces a consistent ground coffee and does without producing any residual heat. A whirly blade grinder rotates at high speed and smashes the beans rather than grinding them, it can also generate a lot of heat which is not good for the coffee at all.

There's no comparison really for coffee applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

A burr grinder will cut the beans evenly making for a better cup of coffee. The blade grinder on the delonghi cuts them unevenly. https://beanfruit.com/blogs/news/116265092-a-good-coffee-grinder-blade-grinders-vs-burr-grinders#:~:text=Burr%20grinders%20work%20by%20forcing,evenly%20during%20the%20brewing%20process.

My recommendation would be a good hand grinder and an aeropress for around 70 euro.
    https://www.coffeeshop.ie/coffee-gift-sets%20/GIFT-SET-COMB-%20DEAL-AEROPRESS-COFFEE-GRINDER

You can grind coffee beans as you need them with a normal food processor. Only a complete sucker would spend €200 on equipment especially for that.

And yet, for the reasons above and to use your language, I would say that only a complete sucker would attempt to grind coffee with a food processor and expect an equivalent cup to using a 200e conical burr grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My wife and I made the investment in the Sage Barista Express. It’s expensive, and takes some getting the hang of, but has been the best purchase we ever made. Nicer coffee at home than I’d get from nearby coffee shops, never mind the a espresso machine it replaced. And cost-wise it’s probably paid itself back by now over pods.

I will say, the beans you use will have as big an impact as the brewing method, so try and identify what beans you like and go from there.

My wife and I made the investment in the Sage Barista Express. It’s expensive, and takes some getting the hang of, but has been the best purchase we ever made. Nicer coffee at home than I’d get from nearby coffee shops, never mind the a espresso machine it replaced. And cost-wise it’s probably paid itself back by now over pods.

I will say, the beans you use will have as big an impact as the brewing method, so try and identify what beans you like and go from there.

I had the Rancilio Silvia and the the Ranchillo grinder but sold them on adverts.ie. Too much time making a coffee before work. I prefer americanos anyway so, I bought the technivorm Moccamaster select and the Eureka Mignon Specialita. Never looked back. Quick, easy and a great cup of coffee before I set off to work.

I have an expensive burr grinder and have spent a lot of money on coffee equipment. I buy my coffee various speciality coffee roasters and grind at home before brewing. You don't need to lecture me as to the benefits of freshly ground coffee. Nespresso coffee is complete garbage and anything is a step up. A couple of hundred euro is a lot of money for some. Especially when they're not that into coffee.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    I have an expensive burr grinder and have spent a lot of money on coffee equipment. I buy my coffee various speciality coffee roasters and grind at home before brewing. You don't need to lecture me as to the benefits of freshly ground coffee. Nespresso coffee is complete garbage and anything is a step up. A couple of hundred euro is a lot of money for some. Especially when they're not that into coffee.

Well yeah, you don't need to spend a lot of money to make a good cup of coffee. An aeropress and handgrinder will do the job just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I have one of these vintage German grinders, how would it compare to a burr grinder?

https://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/zassenhaus-german-vintage-wooden-coffee-grinder-vintage-1940s-50s

IMG_6653_medium.jpg?v=1299516445

Mimon wrote: »
    I have one of these vintage German grinders, how would it compare to a burr grinder?

https://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/zassenhaus-german-vintage-wooden-coffee-grinder-vintage-1940s-50s

IMG_6653_medium.jpg?v=1299516445

That's really lovely. It's is a burr grinder. You should be able to look down into the hopper and see the burrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

Bigbooty wrote: »

Completly agree. Buy ground coffee and the op will be fine. If I were to spend money on a burr grinder I would rather wait and buy a sage barista express, not much more and then you have a fairly decent setup.

I was happy with my ground coffee and aeropress/French press/mocha pot for a long time. Honestly most people won't taste the difference.

And if you coming from instant coffee you sure won't mind. Nespresso capsules contain a small amount of instant coffee in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

AT LEAST €150 for a burr grinder, for someone who just wants to dip their toe??

Ah come on out of that.

OP asks for advice. Coffee forum regulars depart advice. OP decides, based on desire/interest/allocated budget what to do...

150e grinder used twice per day for 5yrs works out at 4c or so per cup. Good value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

aeropress all the way! been using mine for about 3 years now. so simple. all you need is your kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

I just picked up a clever dripper and a V60 but now need to get a grinder.
    Any suggestions?
    I dont mind spending on the right equipment that will last.

johnfaul wrote: »
    I just picked up a clever dripper and a V60 but now need to get a grinder.
    Any suggestions?
    I dont mind spending on the right equipment that will last.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

What's your budget?

Absolute max would be €500

johnfaul wrote: »
    Absolute max would be €500

The Wilfa Svart or Baratza Encore if you don't plan on upgrading your current set up. If you plan on upgrading to a machine that will do expresso with €500 there are many options. I went with a Eureka MIGNON SPECIALITA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Thats good to hear, been looking at it myself for a while trying to decide...did it take long to start geting a decent coffee out of it? Also do you have to tinker around with it each time you want one?

Advertisement