Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lurleen wrote: »
    I don't think she seems well mentally either (she actually tweeted that Bill Gates controls the weather, and didn't even get support from her most ardent supporters for that "peach") but a person can be both unwell mentally and horrible.

She doesn't deserve prison. Just one look at her tells me she needs to be assessed medically and given proper mental care.

The quicker she gets help the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

beakerjoe wrote: »
    She doesn't deserve prison. Just one look at her tells me she needs to be assessed medically and given proper mental care.

The quicker she gets help the better.

Unfortunately, if she doesnt want help, theres nothing currently evident that shows she can be forced to get psychiatric evaluation.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if she doesnt want help, theres nothing currently evident that shows she can be forced to get psychiatric evaluation.

Ah modern Ireland, where the mentally ill can roam the streets even when they are too big a problem to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ah modern Ireland, where the mentally ill can roam the streets even when they are too big a problem to ignore.

Crikey, there’s a sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

Sounds like she's really gone and done it this time. Any legal type know if she's likely to be facing a massive defamation bill over this?

Doubt she even cares tbh. She'll just play the poor mouth and her followers in the US and here will throw her a few bob.

What is scary is the number of individuals on twitter who seem to support her and her beliefs.

• Advertisement

What would you suggest should be done?

Notmything wrote: »
    What would you suggest should be done?

Id like to see any family member that cares about her should really be trying to get her at least an assessment with a doctor.

The whole world can see shes gone off the deep end and Id like to see her at least evaluated by some sort of mental health expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Id like to see any family member that cares about her should really be trying to get her at least an assessment with a doctor.

The whole world can see shes gone off the deep end and Id like to see her at least evaluated by some sort of mental health expert.

unless she is a physical danger to herself or others then you can't force her to have treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

To my knowledge, her family have no right to restrain her, do you think the mentally ill should be locked up, or given a bell to wear?

But no one knows if her family have been trying to help her or if she is actually doing so herself.

People seem to assume she is mentally unwell because of her videos, beliefs or whatever. However, just because her beliefs are bat****e crazy doesn't mean she is herself.
    Saying that I'd happily see her put somewhere where she can't do anymore harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Sinéad O'Connor is creating a soap opera like experience if you find yourself at a bit of a loose end.
    https://twitter.com/MagdaDavitt77/status/1404590360777695237

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can she not just be a nasty toerag?

Why this “she has to be suffering with mental illness?”

And even if she is, so what…

archfi wrote: »
    Sinéad O'Connor is creating a soap opera like experience if you find yourself at a bit of a loose end.
    https://twitter.com/MagdaDavitt77/status/1404590360777695237

I particularly liked this one

https://twitter.com/MagdaDavitt77/status/1404585835991814149

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^^^
    That one made me puke in my mouth a little bit.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    That one made me puke in my mouth a little bit.

admittedly the thought of coitus and waters is not a pretty one. Sinead back then was a good looking woman so I'll think of that instead.

unless she is a physical danger to herself or others then you can't force her to have treatment.

I know, I just wish it was different. Shes a different kind of danger, shes inciting hatred.

Dav010 wrote: »
    To my knowledge, her family have no right to restrain her, do you think the mentally ill should be locked up, or given a bell to wear?

Oh please stop baiting me with that foolish comment.

She needs to be assessed. Shes clearly not well and needs to receive treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just because she is a vile racist doesn't mean she's unwell. There's a lot of people out there who share them, we can't section them all. She's just a stupid c**t and there's no treatment for that.

The poor kid.

Imagine your Mam and Dad having this kind of argument over social media.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just because she is a vile racist doesn't mean she's unwell. There's a lot of people out there who share them, we can't section them all. She's just a stupid c**t and there's no treatment for that.

It doesnt, but she appears to be unwell. She can be both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nah. I think she's just another bigot to be honest. The whole illness narrative doesn't fit to be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Nah. I think she's just another bigot to be honest. The whole illness narrative doesn't fit to be honest.

a bitter, twisted, bigot with a highly inflated sense of her own intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Holy moly, that is terrible stuff.

You cannot force someone to be assessed. Even if she is assessed and deemed to be completely delusional, she cannot be compelled to engage in treatment of any kind unless she is a danger to herself and/or others. That's the reality. We have no idea what her family have or havent done to her her help. This is not their fault. In this instance you cant force the horse to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Jesus, not often I look at twitter but there's definitely a small grouping of people who agree with these crooks. I doubt Waters, Gemma et al genuinely believe everything they come out with, they just benefit from stoking outrage and drive traffic towards whatever ****hole platform they exist on these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Again though, that's not your call and allowing the State to intervene under the guise of knowing best for people's health is a slippery slope - and one with an already tragic precedent in this country.

Gemma O'Doherty might be mentally ill, maybe she's delusional. Dangerously paranoid. I suspect she is, born from losing her husband.

But we just can't know this with any certainty, no matter how repugnant we all find her views. And perhaps it speaks to our own desperation here - that we want her to be ill 'cos we couldn't countenance the idea that an apparently well-educated woman would simply come to these conclusions intellectually.

circadian wrote: »
    Jesus, not often I look at twitter but there's definitely a small grouping of people who agree with these crooks. I doubt Waters, Gemma et al genuinely believe everything they come out with, they just benefit from stoking outrage and drive traffic towards whatever ****hole platform they exist on these days.

I dont know which is worse; that someone would be so delusional as to believe that stuff or someone would pretend to be just for attention and money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I dont know which is worse; that someone would be so delusional as to believe that stuff or someone would pretend to be just for attention and money.

Pretty sure she believes it all.

The whole “they don’t even believe what they’re preaching” schtick is typically just another way for people try to stick the knife in further on people they loath.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What makes you think she's unwell?

Even if she is and got treatment there is no reason to think she would no longer hold the views she does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement