Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We don't live in an opressive country, thankfully! Making that kind of stuff some kind of offence would play into the hands of conspiracy nutjobs like her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Germany must be authoritarian then. I would have thought it would be EU wide at this stage It was a European problem. The nazis affected everyone at the time in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Yes, but you can probably guess why the Germans would be just slightly more on edge about that kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Are we seriously suggesting that people should be put on lists for their beliefs in the context of the Holocaust?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beliefs? Wtf do you mean, beliefs?

Its not a matter of faith. There is only the truth and denial. The truth of the systematic extermination of a faith group, witnessed by millions, conspired in by millions more. Just because 77 years have passed doesn't make the history any more grey.

And of course holocaust deniers should be kept tabs on. Because they don't spread their debasing nonsense in isolation to other manifestations of hate. Your next door neighbour who works 50 hours a week and brings his kids to football training and enjoys a pint of a weekend isn't a holocaust denier.

Deniers are caught up in deliberate and hostile extremist hate behaviours and groupings, not only against Jews, but against Black people, Asians, Gays, Muslims, Migrants and probably Women and Academics and Journalists and liberal politicians.

You do not just dismiss holocaust denial as the ravings of a simpleton. You chase it down the drain pipe and see what else it leads to, both online and on the street.

Its a massive red flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Beliefs? Wtf do you mean, beliefs? 

Deniers are caught up in deliberate and hostile extremist hate behaviours and groupings, not only against Jews, but against Black people, Asians, Gays, Muslims, Migrants and probably Women and Academics and Journalists and liberal politicians. 

You’re gonna need a bigger list…

Seventy years after the liberation of Auschwitz, two-thirds of the world's population don't know the Holocaust happened—or they deny it.

These beliefs follow some unexpected patterns, too. The Middle East and North Africa had the largest percentage of doubters, with only 8 percent of respondents reporting that they had heard of the genocide and believed descriptions of it were accurate. But only 12 percent of respondents in sub-Saharan Africa said the same, and only 23 percent in Asia. People in these groups were likely to say they believed the number of deaths has been exaggerated—just over half of Middle Easterners and a third of Asians and Africans think the body count has been distorted over time.

When the data is sliced by religious groups, the results are even more surprising: Hindus were most likely to believe that the number of Holocaust deaths has been exaggerated. Muslims followed closely, and those two groups were distantly trailed by Christians, Buddhists, and those with no religion. In no coincidence, Hindus and Muslims were also significantly less likely to have heard of the Holocaust.

In almost every religious group, people younger than 65 were much more likely to say they believe that facts about the Holocaust have been distorted, and they were less likely to know what the Holocaust is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/05/the-world-is-full-of-holocaust-deniers/370870/

So 92% of people in the Middle East and North Africa, 77% of people in Asia and 88% of people in Sub Saharan Africa should be put on a belief blacklist so they can be kept tabs on?

Seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Ah yes. The machinations of the mind of a conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They must be getting riled up with another of their heroes/false flags getting convicted for their part in the holocaust.

Former Nazi concentration camp secretary, 97, convicted of aiding more than 10,000 murders | World News | Sky News

Where is the conspiracy?

I am not the one making the absurd claim that someone who works 50 hours a week, who enjoys a pint cannot question a belief like the 6 million figure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah, the old "just asking questions" shtick. It's fooling nobody. If you want to ask questions, go do some serious research.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm. If I merely enjoy a cup of tea, not pints, and only work 40 hours a week, can I have an opinion on 6 million dead jews as well? That is to say, that anyone who denies it happened or the numbers is a ghoul?

I am not asking any questions. I think that the suggestion that anyone who doesn’t share a belief be put a list to be kept tabs on is dangerous.

I am not denying the abhorrent murder of millions of Jewish people and others during the holocaust. Serious researchers still have many unanswered questions about the Holocaust. I’m not sure how researchers can be serious if they don’t ask questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there's the gaslighting...

If you're interested, you can visit museums, pick up a popular history or sink your teeth into the ocean of scholarly research that's been conducted on the subject. Going on a forum virtue-signalling about the 6 million figure being a bit high is pathetically transparent.

But, you knew this when you wrote that post.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I can only think of one question serious researchers into the topic might have

Why with all the evidence we have around the holocaust would anyone deny it or seek to down play it. What possible justification or motivation could they have for denying it?

I'm guessing here but maybe they're still working on exact numbers, ethnographic information, names of victims and the like. Precise details which take hard work and diligence to uncover. Now, I've no source for that. It's purely a guess.

Where the Gemmaroids come in is to question the whole concept of facts and science by introducing this malign narrative of collusion and corruption. We can even see these tactics on this site from time to time. They know that they can't go full on with the Holocaust denial. They have to lead to it. They'll begin by cherrypicking examples of things like bad behaviour from a Jewish group or the Israeli government (God knows there's plenty to work with there). They'll move onto the fact that 6 million seems awfully high and before you know it they're defending Nazis, attacking anyone who disagrees with them and using words like "Global elite" and other anti-Semitic dogwhistles.

H. H. Asquith

A ghoul? Maybe, but its irrelevant.

Definitely a bigot and a fascist though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It can be many things; but there's something especially ghoulish about trying to "debate" the existence of 6 million jews like it might be a rounding error. Or indeed, if it's part of some antisemitic conspiracy masquerading as "just asking questions".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hard to believe how a thread started to expose GD has become a platform for her bile.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Shutting down dissent is de rigeur for these conspiracy types. Gish galloping is a very common tactic.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I love morons calling people sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No, that’s my point - arguing that anyone who doesn’t share a Western view of the Holocaust, would mean many people in the groups Labre mentioned, would end up on that list, many more outside of the West than the mere handful in the West. Ironically, it’s not all that different from what the Nazi regime aimed to achieve in the first place, which would explain why it hasn’t and won’t be done any time soon. I’d like to think ‘twas an ill-thought out excited utterance, than a serious argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

Please try and resist replying to the re-reg trolls. Just report them and leave it to us to deal with, otherwise we have to go through posts to delete their quoted bile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭francois

Not surprised, rereg NP fanbois and edgelord Nazis trying to provoke people.

My French grandfather fought against these scum, he happily killed a few, the only good Nazi is a dead one . As he said he'd no issue killing people who happily shoved babies and children into suffering a slow 20 minute strangulation by hydrogen cyanide in a gas chamber.

Holocaust deniars are scum. I recommend the 9 hour film Shoah, it records the "banality of evil" by those who perpetrated and experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yep. There's still loads of details that aren't known. But they're just details. As far as the big picture goes, we know what happened.

It's like saying that we don't know exactly how many were killed in WW2 because we don't have precise death certificates for every person. Or what was the chain of events on a particular day in a particular part of a particular battle. What we do know is roughly how many died. And we know who won the battle and what the major events were.

Historians will always uncover new information that can add details but they're not going to change the overarching events that happened.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I would not be surprised to see Mattie McGrath associate himself with her soon. It starts with comparing the government to Nazi-ism (Gemma has a good track record of this) like he did over the COVID regulations, and lately he’s been going right down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. His speech on Saturday during Leo Varadkar’s re-election as Taoiseach would be hilarious if it wasn’t so bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mattie might be a lot of things, but he is neither antisemitic nor a fool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement