Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike Budget €1,300

Options
  • 29-12-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi folks, do you have any recommendations on a road bike in and around €1,300 - €1,500?

Hoping to make use of the full Cycle to Work Scheme amount.

~12km commute each day and plan on some cycling in Wicklow..any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jmone wrote: »
    Hoping to make use of the full Cycle to Work Scheme amount.

Does your employer let you use any retailer? This impacts the manufacturers you can choose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also, does the budget include accessories? Or will you be including lights, bike lock etc in that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Also, does the budget include accessories? Or will you be including lights, bike lock etc in that figure?

Hi, yes I believe I can use any retailer (working in the public sector). I'd be happy to get a bike for ~€1,300 excluding accessories.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Do you want disc or rim brakes? Or you happy to buy a bike online, and assemble yourself... not as hard as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Tony04 wrote: »
    Do you want disc or rim brakes? Or you happy to buy a bike online, and assemble yourself... not as hard as it seems

I'm open to either disc or rim brakes. I'd also be willing to buy it online as I've a friend who could assemble it for me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If i were you id probably go for a 105 (11 speed) alloy bike carbon fork with rim brakes. Talking about 1200€
    A bike of that spec is adequate for pretty much everyone and would be well up for racing, with a tyre upgrade.
    Careful though is not all alloy bikes with 105 are as good as one another, i.e some brands will come in fairly heavy and others expensive.
    So id be looking at rose pro canyon endurace and merida scultura.
    Other option is to pay the extra and go for discs, heavier but better braking and more likely to hold its value if you want to sell use in a few years. Despite this rim brakes are perfectly fine and save weight.
    You could also go for a carbon bike which would save a bit more weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

https://youtu.be/KLvZ7LNGdiI

Worth a watch. Run down of all the 105 clad bikes available at the minute and the yltop 5 best value propositions in a number of categories.

Or don't bother your ar$e researching, and just short cut to buying a canyon :D

Advertisement