Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting people on Facebook…do you get offended?

Options
  • 29-12-2020 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I know this is trivial, but I was reminded of an old friend recently who I hadn't thought of in years. I remember being connected with this person on Facebook but when I went to look them up I discovered they had unfriended me! The horror! Generally I don't understand when someone has 5000 friends and you're the only one they delete...It kind of hurts my feelings for a minute but then I cop on, laugh and move on with my life. :pac: Still though, I can't help wondering what was the straw that broke the camel's back. Especially considering I rarely post anything anymore and was pretty close with this friend back in the day. Admittedly, we hadn't spoken much in recent years due to living far apart.

What are some are the reasons you "unfriend" people for? Would you feel offended if someone unfriended you?

PS: The too-cool-for-Facebook brigade can scroll past this thread. No need to tell the world you deleted it years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Facebook is still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I deleted Facebook around 4 years ago and I'm only seeing benefits. Probably an hour extra free time every day. If only I could get off Boards now.

I've a relative who spends 5-7 hours per day on Facebook, it's just consuming their life. There is an infinite amount of content that will entertain you for <5 mins before you get the next hit of mild entertainment and you can get trapped on that forever.

Same with dating, I've swapped spending 30+ mins a day on online dating for working on making myself more attractive.

Nobody read the PS part by the looks of it, though I’m sure the urge to tell everyone you don’t have it is too much for most anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nobody read the PS part by the looks of it, though I’m sure the urge to tell everyone you don’t have it is too much for most anyway.

My humble apologies, Ps hadn't yet appeared when my wall mounted boards alarm alerted me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I use Facebook to stay connected with family and outside of that wouldn't know or care if anyone unfriended me. I did have to ditch a few gob****es myself posting anti lockdown and anti mask crap during the pandemic because I couldn't stomach their ****e anymore. I presume they won't be too offended given I'm just a "sheep" anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

coinop wrote: »
    I know this is trivial, but I was reminded of an old friend recently who I hadn't thought of in years. I remember being connected with this person on Facebook but when I went to look them up I discovered they had unfriended me! The horror! Generally I don't understand when someone has 5000 friends and you're the only one they delete...It kind of hurts my feelings for a minute but then I cop on, laugh and move on with my life. :pac: Still though, I can't help wondering what was the straw that broke the camel's back. Especially considering I rarely post anything anymore and was pretty close with this friend back in the day. Admittedly, we hadn't spoken much in recent years due to living far apart.

What are some are the reasons you "unfriend" people for? Would you feel offended if someone unfriended you?

PS: The too-cool-for-Facebook brigade can scroll past this thread. No need to tell the world you deleted it years ago.

I sometimes do a spring clean and delete people i haven't spoken to in a long while.

It’s so easy to mute someone that there has to be some kind of statement in unfriending them. It’s rather childish really, though not something I’d worry about. Especially if it’s someone you don’t really know anyway.

• Sure you’re probably just an awful cnut but they didn’t have the heart to tell you.

In all fairness, you haven’t, in your own words, though about them “in years” so I don’t see why you’d care for even a moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I sometimes do a spring clean and delete people i haven't spoken to in a long while.

Deleting a bunch of people in a spring cleaning makes sense but what if you're the only person they delete? Make me feel targeted!

I don't delete anyone for fear of running into them on the street and having to face an awkward situation, no matter how miniscule the chance. If someone's posts are annoying, why not just unfollow them, which effectively mutes them. The diplomatic way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

If a person with 5000 friends on Facebook unfriended me, I honestly couldn't care less. How much of a friend are they anyway? I also don't understand people who just collect 'friends' on Facebook like that. I don't even know 5000 people, let alone have 5000 friends who I want to share my life with. You were probably just irrelevant to them.

coinop wrote: »
    Just because you said this, I'm going to post this anyway.

Like others, I deleted my Facebook profile a few years ago and have no regrets. A lot of my close friends had become largely inactive by that stage, and the people who did post usually just posted utter rubbish.

Social networking was fun back in the days of MySpace and Bebo. Facebook just made it cringe-worthy. If you're really so concerned about people unfriending you that you created a thread on Boards.ie about it, maybe you should follow suit. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement

:D How do you know someone doesn’t have Facebook.......?

Just because you said this, I'm going to post this anyway.

Like others, I deleted my Facebook profile a few years ago and have no regrets. A lot of my close friends had become largely inactive by that stage, and the people who did post usually just posted utter rubbish.

Social networking was fun back in the days of MySpace and Bebo. Facebook just made it cringe-worthy. If you're really so concerned about people unfriending you that you created a thread on Boards.ie about it, maybe you should follow suit. You won't regret it.

They actually really can’t help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

:D How do you know someone doesn’t have Facebook.......?

They actually really can’t help it.
    The more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I left my last job, about 18 months later I just went and ninjad most from the job from FB... nosey drips in the main..

Apart from one, who I’d still consider a good friend I never saw the rest of them socially and we hadn’t a whole lot in common, they were older, kids, mortgages etc...different interests, priorities... another had been on friendly terms but there had been trust issues she’d turned into a grade A brown noser and would hang her own mother, in fact maybe that’s how the poor woman died..

I value keeping work / social separate....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

How the **** does someone have "5000" friends? Do they just add every single person they've had an interaction with in their entire life? Sad bastards....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I feel sorry for anyone who deleted Facebook and missed all the great memes from the last few years on ISF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Shaun Howling Manuscript

I feel sorry for anyone who deleted Facebook and missed all the great memes from the last few years on ISF

before they got all preachy and up their own hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Simple thing. I dont have 1500 "friends".

Only nearest and dearest friends are on facebook. I only let in trusted friends or very good friends. The rest can ask but never get in.

It is great to keep up to date with everyone and never do I post anything private on there.

I personally hate the stupidity of the vast majority of people posting everything about their lives for all to see.

Will people ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Facebook is for old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

How is your "only fans" profile coming along? :)

Joking...

Its a useful tool for us oldies...;) (Facebook not only fans.. just to clarify)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

That hurt more than I should have let it...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I remember asking an old school friend continuously to be my friend and he never accepted the liddle bitch. I never really liked him anyway. But considering we had many mutual friends it annoyed me, especially considering how the platform was being advocated as a good medium to maintain old relationships in a casual way.

It is a bit like putting posters on the ignore. I do not see the point, no matter how ridiculous they are, I still do not get the benefit of ignoring them, or anything really?

Some people get a kick out of refusing others. It makes them feel special or better, which is often quite ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

How the **** does someone have "5000" friends? Do they just add every single person they've had an interaction with in their entire life? Sad bastards....

The only person I can recall having 5000 friends was Russell Brand, he was accepting invites from fans, iirc eventually he set up a fan page

I have a number of friends I accepted so we could be neighbours in facebook games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

GarIT wrote: »
    I deleted Facebook around 4 years ago and I'm only seeing benefits. Probably an hour extra free time every day. If only I could get off Boards now.

I've a relative who spends 5-7 hours per day on Facebook, it's just consuming their life. There is an infinite amount of content that will entertain you for <5 mins before you get the next hit of mild entertainment and you can get trapped on that forever.

Same with dating, I've swapped spending 30+ mins a day on online dating for working on making myself more attractive.

This is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Pwindedd wrote: »
    That hurt more than I should have let it...

Apologies, I didn't mean for it to hurt. I just associate Facebook with people of my parents age. That said, I could be wrong - I don't use any social media as I don't give a damn about the banal details and opinions of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've unfriended people who would have been, at best, acquaintances through a mutual friend that I then got a friend request off of who I would not have any realistic chance of seeing or interaction with again.

A lad I would be acquaintances with actually unfriended me a few weeks back after just commenting on a FB status I put up which I found a tad amusing.

Then again, it's social media; the whole thing is false and a cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My rule is.. be friends on FB with people who you are friends with in real life, or like / get on with and trust in real life. I’m not friends with people who I just know or are friends of friends who I just met at a funeral or other joyous occasion two years ago.

I’m private to the point too that you can’t see my pic looking for me and it’s a commonly used name... if I was Herbert Hoffenheim IV I’d be easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Apologies, I didn't mean for it to hurt. I just associate Facebook with people of my parents age. That said, I could be wrong - I don't use any social media as I don't give a damn about the banal details and opinions of others.

Your grand. I’m just at that awkward in between age...don’t want to admit I’m old despite all the usual signs. Like having to get my “typing glasses” for this post.

I’ll get over it :D

• Actually just reminded of a situation a few weeks ago, standing outside shop before work, just sipping a coffee, you know how it do be.

So, anyway, there’s a few people standing adjacent, when this fairly loud woman approaches shouting one of these peoples names, John we’ll say cos I frankly don’t remember.

So she approaches, as I said & just shouts “JOHN WHY DID YOU BLOCK ME ON FACEBOOK I DIDN DO NOHIN TO YE”

It was fcuking hilarious, despite being one of the most stupid things I’d ever heard. Like imagine approaching someone in public to yell at them for blocking you on Facebook.

I got locked out of my account few years ago for some reason or another and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss. It’s a plague of a site with nothing useful to offer, at one time it was actually worth something, but less and less as time goes by. Whole company, in my opinion, is a pox on society.

I do get a little miffed for a second, but mostly because I keep my FB circle small so if you're in it it's because I thought we got along well and were pals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Actually just reminded of a situation a few weeks ago, standing outside shop before work, just sipping a coffee, you know how it do be.

So, anyway, there’s a few people standing adjacent, when this fairly loud woman approaches shouting one of these peoples names, John we’ll say cos I frankly don’t remember.

So she approaches, as I said & just shouts “JOHN WHY DID YOU BLOCK ME ON FACEBOOK I DIDN DO NOHIN TO YE”

It was fcuking hilarious, despite being one of the most stupid things I’d ever heard. Like imagine approaching someone in public to yell at them for blocking you on Facebook.

I got locked out of my account few years ago for some reason or another and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss. It’s a plague of a site with nothing useful to offer, at one time it was actually worth something, but less and less as time goes by. Whole company, in my opinion, is a pox on society.

If that is the case, why are you still on it?:confused:

Advertisement