Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike x2 purchase advice

Options
  • 29-12-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I'm interested in getting back to cycling in the new year and specifically a road bike for the first time. (I've had a rarely used mtb for 25 yrs). Would be looking to do moderate exercise, maybe casual club cycling for and a few spins to work (25km) so something road racer but not too worried about lightest or expensive gear. Most likely could take advantage of cycle to work scheme.

Have been interested in the entry level Trek Domane (AL2 or the next one up) but only looking online at the minute.
    Now, my teenage son is getting keen on cycling and wants to join the fun! (blame zwift and me glued to years of the tdf!). Pity I can't use the scheme for a second bike, so thinking about a chearper, used something, carrera tdf or zelos.
    He's nearly my height so I believe we could interchange bikes from time to time.
    Budgeting 450 cost of trek (after b2w scheme) + 250 used bike, so total about 700. Is that too little on the used bike?

Any other suggestions, or thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Officially your only meant one bike... but all i say this often isnt case
    That domane would be fine for you, but what i would say is get full use out of your bike 2 work scheme even be it on accessories.
    For your son id reccomend something better than a carrera, especially if he wants to get in to racing. If hes only going on the odd cycle though a carrera would be perfectly fine but tbh theyre only really hybrids with drop bars. Shame as pre covid you could get alot more in a 350€ bike second hand.
    If your son does want to get into racing get him into a club and likelihood is someone would probably have a spare bike to sort him.
    Id suggest an alloy bike with 105/ tiagra rim even sora if the bike had a nice frame if he was considering racing. Although a lot depends on age. In younger ages up to u16 you dont see a lot of high end bikes as lads still have growth in them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The BTW is now €1500 and you are not limited to one bike so you could get two new bikes within the €1500 budget or put some money along with it and get two bikes for €1000 each

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did that change? Firstly I thought 1500 was an extension only for e-bikes and that it was 1200 for regular bikes. Secondly, open to multiple bikes sounds like opening the door to a scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The BTW is now €1500 and you are not limited to one bike so you could get two new bikes within the €1500 budget or put some money along with it and get two bikes for €1000 each

€1500 is for ebikes. €1250 for all other cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

ED E wrote: »
    €1500 is for ebikes. €1250 for all other cycles.

Ah right, got that wrong but the same applies, you can buy two or more bikes if you want within the scheme. You are not limited to one bike, just the amount you can claim for (€1250 in this case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah right, got that wrong but the same applies, you can buy two or more bikes if you want within the scheme. You are not limited to one bike, just the amount you can claim for (€1250 in this case)

I think you're wrong on both counts there but the wording could be misconstrued as it mentions bikes throughout the FAQs. You're not allowed to purchase a bike for a family member through the scheme. As mentioned though already the rules are shall we say dynamic in some stores :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

The legislation on this point is unequivocal. It says you can get tax relief on the purchase of "a bicycle", and then goes on to say you cannot get this relief more than once in any 5 tax years.

So only one bike at a time. If you buy a bike for €500, that's your shot used for that 5 years, you don't get to use up the remainder up to €1250 on another bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

I got a bike and one for my son in October in limerick in bike to work scheme. Went to nearly every bike shop in limerick cos low stock. Everyone of them said without me asking that u can get two bikes but they would just put down the price as one bike on invoice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, that's enough talk about misusing the B2W scheme, ta - as has been pointed out, you're only allowed buy one bike, so can we return to the topic of *what* bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dogsears wrote: »
    The legislation on this point is unequivocal. It says you can get tax relief on the purchase of "a bicycle", and then goes on to say you cannot get this relief more than once in any 5 tax years.

So only one bike at a time. If you buy a bike for €500, that's your shot used for that 5 years, you don't get to use up the remainder up to €1250 on another bike.

Every 4 years now :D If only they'd do it like the UK scheme now it would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement