Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8 week old pup food measurement

• 29-12-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Evening boardsies..My son received an 8 week old labrador pup as a present from in-laws for Christmas.Im just wondering about the measurement of royal canine junior nuts for him. It says 250gram per day...What would a simple measure be..aka a cup or mug or bigger...Im new to this:) Anybody got an idea...I don't have a weighting scales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Don't go by measurements on bags of food. Did the breeder not give guidelines/feeding guide?

Feed him 4 times a day until his belly is full each time. Feed by the condition on the puppy rather than the bag. His ribs should be well covered. Pick up the bowl when he is finished. Leave water available all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Don't use royal canine,but weighing out some Aldi dry dog food it works out to be about a mug and a half,which seems hugely inadequate once split between a few meals.
    Are you sure it's not 250g per kilo or something?
    I hope your in laws consulted you about this in first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yep, to reiterate what knine advises, when it comes to such young pupsters, you can't feed too much, and you should feed to satiation. Over the next 3 months, your pup will grow at an unbelievable rate, and that growth needs calories, and more calories! You just can't feed enough at least until pup reaches about 5 to 6 months... then start to control it a bit better... especially with a Labrador!
    But for now, forget what the packaging says :)
    Whilst Royal Canin isn't my favourite food for dogs, I would not go changing over to a different brand for a few weeks. Let pup settle in, get into a routine, then gradually change over to something else, if that's what you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Thanks for the replies...
    ''I hope your in laws consulted you about this in first?''....Long story but I had an inkling a month ago and got a few days notice that he was a present bought for my son and wold be delivered for Christmas day.
    Yea will use the royal canine first and see how he goes with it..In relation to the breeder I was'nt speaking to him as I had no contact with him as in laws were dealing with him directly...Will keep ye updated

Advertisement