Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Flipping

Options
  • 29-12-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what causes this to happen i.e I have flat pedals on the hybrid and when I turn my left leg the pedal flips around and doesn't stay static with the foot and leg like the right does. I hope I'm explaining it right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think you're describing a stuck pedal? As in it doesnt rotate freely on the crank?

If so the bearings in the pedal mount may have seized. You can try lube but if they're cheap just replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

ED E wrote: »
    I think you're describing a stuck pedal? As in it doesnt rotate freely on the crank?

If so the bearings in the pedal mount may have seized. You can try lube but if they're cheap just replace them.

Cheers. I'll try lubricating it. It's a new bike. Only have it a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

should be easy enough to tell if it's seized was Ed right when he guessed it is?

should be easy enough to tell if it's seized was Ed right when he guessed it is?

I'll lube it in the morning. Hopefully it sorts the issue.

New bike you say? Most bike shops offer and in fact actively encourage you to bring the bike back after a few weeks for adjustment after cables and components have bedded in for a free first service.

Do that. I know you can just lube it yourself as suggested but after a month on the new bike it's probably due a that first service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

billyhead wrote: »
    I'll lube it in the morning. Hopefully it sorts the issue.
    is it actually seized though?
    as mentioned, if it's a month old, that's not an issue you should face and the shop should be dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I don’t think you should lube a pedal, if by lube you mean oil. A pedal needs to be greased. In most cases that means partial disassembly. You might be better bringing it back to the shop.

Zen0 wrote: »
    You might be better bringing it back to the shop.
    absolutely. if it's seized after one month, it's beyond a simple regreasing issue, there's something wrong with it, or should be treated as such, and replaced.

Thanks all for the comments. I sprayed lube on it this an and I think it's okay for the moment. It did flip around a couple of times when I put pressure on the front on the pedal but mostly it's okay. I will keep an eye on it and if it acts up again take it back to the shop. The problem is that the shop is in the city centre and I live 27km away.

Advertisement