Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    That’s pretty exceptional alright. Well done. Love the strides idea - good way to refocus continually during then effort. Where did that come from?

Congrats, a just reward for great work.

Thanks D. The strides thing was my own idea from one of my workouts. I think it was a 15x1min workout. I tried to hit a cadence of 180 so counted out 90 right foot strikes in each minute. It really made that session fly. My actual cadence for the TT was about 178 so 100 strides was likely 70 seconds or so. I often find being a stride runner that when I fatigue, my cadence starts to drop and I probably over extend to keep up pace. Counting strides was a way to ensure I kept up momentum but also to focus on form and sort of "wake up" each mile.

Alright.... We've given you a days grace to have your couple of pints and takeaway..... Wheres the report!?!

What days grace?! The TT was yesterday :p My kids own Saturdays :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Awesome run and great to read the details. I've only ever had that feeling once where you completely outdo your own expectations.. My watch died before Killarney 10k years ago ahead of a sub 40 effort and was genuinely shocked seeing sub 38 on the clock at the end. Well done man. Great result. Savour those days. They're few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent running and determination to hang in.

I like the strides idea but I’d worry that it’d have me blowing up way to early.

Did you not find it disrupted your pace too much?

TbL

Excellent running and determination to hang in.

I like the strides idea but I’d worry that it’d have me blowing up way to early.

Did you not find it disrupted your pace too much?

TbL
    Hey I didn't treat them like the 95% strides you do on an easy run or warm up to session. It was more a case of just counting 100 strides. I probably did slightly increase pace after the truck but in general the purpose was to break the 10k into chunks and treat each mile as a new start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey I didn't treat them like the 95% strides you do on an easy run or warm up to session. It was more a case of just counting 100 strides. I probably did slightly increase pace after the truck but in general the purpose was to break the 10k into chunks and treat each mile as a new start.

Yep, that's the way I read it. A more positive way to treat the beep of the watch than, say, thinking, 'Shyte, still three miles still to go!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super, super run ! Delighted for you after all the hard work you've put in!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Congrats on a fantastic TT and well deserved too with the training you've been putting in. You could see that you were in 5:55avg (sorry for mile pace) shape from your session on the 16th of April, 4x5'. But it's one thing to be in that shape and another for going out and getting it done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Super Stuff. Enjoyable following your progress lately!

Treviso wrote: »
    Congrats on a fantastic TT and well deserved too with the training you've been putting in. You could see that you were in 5:55avg (sorry for mile pace) shape from your session on the 16th of April, 4x5'. But it's one thing to be in that shape and another for going out and getting it done

Thanks!
    That workout was a burn the week before the 5k but it was 20 min with 6 min recovery during it. I trained through that 5k though with a 6x 1k that week. Definitely felt fit but the real indicator was the 3x 2k after 10 min tempo last week. It was 22 min at same pace but 4 min recovery during it and on some fatigue was worth 30 mins of goal effort. This is what I needed from the original plan and later Coach input. How to sequence and progress the workouts as fitness improved.

Look forward to applying similar approach to the half marathon. Its the last mark left from my 30s :)

• Advertisement

What half are you targeting? Apologies if I've asked that already.

Nothing specific yet. I haven't done a half since 2012. DCM is the main goal if it goes ahead and I was thinking about the Dublin half in Sept as a tune up. Its virtual though so another TT, meh. Ill keep an eye on any event opening in the autumn. I'd much rather an actual event. I did the virtual half last year and it was rather underwhelming. I may have to consider other options if DCM goes virtual too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was an amazing run, gave me goose bumps reading it, you've some ability to hurt! You're in great shape, exciting times. Good luck with the new coach.
    Nothing specific yet. I haven't done a half since 2012. DCM is the main goal if it goes ahead and I was thinking about the Dublin half in Sept as a tune up. Its virtual though so another TT, meh. Ill keep an eye on any event opening in the autumn. I'd much rather an actual event. I did the virtual half last year and it was rather underwhelming. I may have to consider other options if DCM goes virtual too.

Any local(ish) insight into whether Charleville might go ahead? I think they ran an elite/invitation event last year?

ariana` wrote: »
    That was an amazing run, gave me goose bumps reading it, you've some ability to hurt! You're in great shape, exciting times. Good luck with the new coach.

Any local(ish) insight into whether Charleville might go ahead? I think they ran an elite/invitation event last year?

Thanks, its scheduled for September 26 but no update yet. I forgot I had a 2020 entry which is deferred to 2021 so this will be the half I go for if its on.

ariana` wrote: »

Haven't heard a peep on it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Wow ! Incredible time, massive congrats. Well deserved after your hard work & focus.

Recovery week
    Just letting the legs recover from the 10k TT PB last week. I've learned hard lessons about getting back to intensity and/or volume too soon and especially going after faster paces. Recipe for injury.

Mon 10 May
    Recovery 4.42m @8:40 | HRR 56%
    Pilates 30 mins

Horrible run. My hip felt like a nerve was trapped or some tendon locked. My knee was sore. I limped for a mile and considered walking home. Kept it easy and it loosened up a little. One to forget :(

Tue 11 May - Rest Day
    Giving the legs a chance to rest.

Wed 12 May
    Easy 7.97m @7:36 | HRR 62%

Amazing what a day's rest and a good sleep can do :) A light rain but no barely a breeze made it a refreshing morning to get a few miles in the countryside. Wore the SL20s and what a fab bargain shoe. Strange again how the last run was so horrible and the very next, wonderful :confused:

Thu 13 May - Rest Day
    There was an easy run on the plan but the day got away from me. School runs either side of work, then teen rugby and Caz headed out for a walk after the kids went down. I didn't fancy running at 10-11pm so banked another rest day. Problem with rest days and low volume is I'm eating all round me still :o

Fri 14 May
    10.04m @6:59 inc 50min moderate | HRR 76-84%

The only sort of workout this week. A mild one, but good steady miles banked. The moderate or steady section was effectively 7 miles at what was my last marathon pace. The miles were 6:49, 6:50, 6:49, 6:47, 6:54, 6:49, 6:50. I'd have been happy with that on week 5 of the Hanson Advanced plan. It felt good and I enjoy these steady or low LT efforts :)

I wore the Fuelcell TCs for it and while they feel really great for this steady tempo style running, I'd only wear them up to a half marathon. I just find my foot is a bit wide for the foam platform. The upper contains the foot fine, perhaps a bit snug, but some corners were wobbly. Its not great on wet or loose gravel either. Quite like the Saucony Speeds in that respect. Its also one of the shoes in my rotation that aggravates or maybe causes the blister on the inside of my right big toe. Also a bit of wear after just 35 miles is not giving me hope for durability. Its a lovely shoe and it pains me to find issues with it :(

1,052/2,600 miles (1,963/4,200 km)
    3,294/10k press ups | 605/2k pull ups
    130/135 days active | 121 Run | 10 Row | 23 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

How dare you criticise the fuelcell TC...

How dare you criticise the fuelcell TC...

Listen Cinderella, we don't all have delicate feet! The Speeds were awesome until I took them out in the rain. TCs are indeed lovely but will not be a marathon shoe for me.

Strength Phase - Hill Reps
    There are lots of drills and hills in my immediate future to build strength before we plough on to a marathon block.

Mon 17 May
    Easy 9.26m@7:37 | RPE 4 HRR ?

My feet and hip felt a bit achy so I opted for the Fuelcell TC again for this easy run. Hopefully didn't upset Swashbuckler with my last comment. I really want these shoes to fit and work for me. The are a snug fit, comfortable and feel lively, look lovely. I was bouncing along at 7:40 pace feeling relaxed. I've also all sorts of New Balance shoes for years and this is their high end. Its a hell of a lot more comfortable and lively that the 1500 series. However I have confirmation its these shoes that are the culprit for the deep blister on my big toe. Also I just find them unstable at times and have gone over on my ankle. I'm no fan of the squashed pancake width of the Nike Infinity FK outsole but the TC may just be a little too narrow for my wider foot. I'll press on with them as the pros outweigh the cons significantly.

My hip and knee felt like I was playing rugby at the weekend. I procrastinated for ages. Alas a few miles and looser and happier. I found a nice rhythm and was grateful for the cooler evening. Finished feeling better than I started, although I still would rather get it done early in the day :cool:

Tue 18 May
    9.15m @7:30 inc Hill Reps | RPE 3>9 HRR 71-91%

Not to make this a shoe update but I opted for the trusty Boston 7s for this and got them to 500km. Its usually retirement for shoes at this point but the Boston 7s are still good :) Pretty innocent session on paper. Warm up, drills, some hill reps @3k pace effort and cool down.

Nice calm evening and I ran 20 minutes to the base of a 1 minute hill. Did some drills and got stuck in. Each rep had a jog back
    5x30s @5:05-5:20 pace
    3x60s @5:22-5:28 pace
    4x30s @4:48-5:03 pace

The first set of 30s reps were enjoyable. Paces were a bit all over the place, I was either too conservative or too hard. The 60s reps covered the full hill (4-7% gradient) and were murderous. I just went hard and by 40s I was in flames. It was "just" 3 of these reps so turning immediately at the bottom for the next rep was mentally ok. My lungs and legs caught fire so fast running so hard uphill, it was simply a shock to the system. I haven't done hill reps in so long :(

By the time I got to the last set of 4x30s I was sweating and panting but actually really enjoying the session :) The legs felt strong and energetic in comparison to Monday's run. Gave the 4 short hills a good burst and cooled down happily :)

1,077/2,600 miles (1,734/4,200 km)
    3,324/10k press ups | 605/2k pull ups
    133/139 days active | 124 Run | 10 Row | 23 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

• Advertisement

Will happily hand over my hard earned cash for those NB if you want to offload

They are not like the React FK that I just want rid of (300k on them, 200k to the bin :cool:). I really like the TCs but I'll likely use them for <80mins or LRs on cooler days and not on wet days. Of the super shoes I've tried, the Speeds and Fuelcell TC don't handle well in wet conditions. Next% is solid enough. I'd imagine the Adios Pro with Adidas Continental outsole rubber would be just as good as the Boston etc..? Awfully tempted to break them out for a try but they are the easily the nicest looking shoe I've got and I'm in no hurry to test them on wet dirty roads :o

55 miles last week. Volume back up and a couple of sessions.

Wed: 6m very easy after a long long day. Felt rubbish
    Thu: Day off - needed
    Fri: 10m @7:32 with some strides. Felt great in the Boston 8s on a cool, windy drizzly day. Felt like I could run all day :confused:
    Sat: 9m with a workout: 6x 4' LT off 60s then 5x 30s on/off.
    Sun: 11m Long Strava Art Run (see May Challenge in the forum)

Both runs at the weekend started abysmally. My left knee ached and my left hip was so sore I was limping. On both occasions, I ignored the aches and got it done. The LT session was 24 minutes of LT work at 6:06-6:08 pace and although the effort was fine, I never felt comfortable in my stride. Sunday was a fatigued, achy but fun run around Limerick "drawing" an Ostrich for the May Strava Art Challenge :D

Overall I got through the week, with work and kids kicking my ass :rolleyes: I've been icing the knee, rubbing stuff into the hip but neither are improving while I am running. Coach wants me niggle free for the upcoming block. I won't "get through" another week as is. Niggles must be sorted. Physio booked and no running for a a couple of days or more, boooo :cool:

Weird parallels between me and you in terms of aftermath of a TT...Took me a few weeks to turn the corner after the 5k TT. If the hip is at you then volume is the enemy too. Few days rest wont do any harm physically. Mentally, well that's another story!

Weird parallels between me and you in terms of aftermath of a TT...Took me a few weeks to turn the corner after the 5k TT. If the hip is at you then volume is the enemy too. Few days rest wont do any harm physically. Mentally, well that's another story!

I hear you. The hip is at me since the TT so I hope to see the physio this week and he will say the knee and hip niggles are connected :confused: You are right physically no harm in a few days off the feet. I'll sub in the rower and mat for the road to keep me sane. It is mentally tougher to switch off, especially when you CAN run. Its a fine line between a niggle and injury that many of us know too well. I probably should not have done the LT session at the weekend but after limping through the first warm up mile, I ludicrously figured some strides would loosen it out before the workout!

Doubly hard to resist after a big PB performance too. You simply want to surf that wave of motivation :rolleyes:

Yeah I get you completely. Especially as my hips are usually the root of my issues. I learned a good while back that I have to be careful with how often I race. Seems like the latter parts of a race/TT, when the form starts to go a bit, the hips don't like it! So overloading and running fatigued are a big problem for me. All the reason to do more s&c I guess.!? Lol

Strength Week 2: Actually recovery :rolleyes:

I had more hill reps and LT reps on the plan for the week and was looking forward to it. Alas, Coach wants niggles gone before we push on so no choice but to not just back off, but stop running. Total miles for the week: ZERO :(

Mon: 60min row, 15min S&C
    Tue: 45min row
    Wed: 59min row inc 12x 1' on/off, 20min S&C
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Physio
    Sat: 20min row, 22min S&C
    Sun: Rest

Stopping running when so motivated to run sucks! Even more so when the weather turns good. I would have loved to run a few miles yesterday. However, walking up and down a beach and over rocks searching for shells and crabs with my youngest, my hip complained. My knee complained too.

The knee is tendinitis (runners knee) but its infuriatingly slow to come back despite religiously icing and resting it this week. Physio, in his matter of fact way, said that the knee was bearing the brunt of an overloaded quad because my weaker left glute wasn't up to the task of balancing my form when tired. We proved it with a strength test. Single leg get ups off a 9 inch box. I couldn't do 1 off my left. I have a goal to do 10 on each leg in 2.5 weeks. I'm currently at 10 off a 15 inch box but it hurts my knee to do so. He got into my glute minimus with needles and I was sore for 2 days afterwards :eek::rolleyes:

I pulled the rower out during the week but it felt horrible. I'm running fit but rowing unfit so in a warped way my mind convinced my huffing on the rower as overall unfit! There is some calm too though. I had a big blowout on the 10k TT and had given a few weeks to transition to the marathon block. The main thing is to manage these niggles to start that block fresh.

Recovery Week 2
    Continued Physio work and recovery of niggles ahead of next block.

Total running miles: ZERO :(

There was some running, mainly after a ball or child with a ball or with a ball from child. All that was ok, but enough feedback from the hip to be careful. This is one of the reasons I took on a coach. To hold be back from injuring myself, recovering properly from blowouts and maintaining big picture focus.

Mon: 20min row, 20min S&C, 36min row
    Tue: 35min row, 20min S&C
    Wed: 34min row, 23min S&C
    Thu: 36min row, 28min S&C
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 33min row, 20min S&C
    Sun: Rest

The daily routine
    8,000m Easy row
    72 Single leg get ups
    72 reverse lunge with knee drive
    20-40 squats
    24-72 calf raises
    40-84 push ups
    10 pull ups
    30 single leg glute bridge holding for 5 sec each
    4 side plank with straight leg raised for 30 secs

Its perfectly annoying and frustrating to be injured. Thing is, I wouldn't have counted this as injured before. Niggles that I would have run through :rolleyes: It was at this time last year that injury put paid to my summer and autumn running plans. As slow as the progress was this week, I just need to remember the number of times I looked out at a sunny day last year and could not run. I need to be patient, do my S&C and use the motivation for a good autumn marathon block to be disciplined about it!

In terms of recovery there was some. A little is better than none I guess.

The hip (glute medius) is slowly coming around. I know I can run on it but not comfortably yet. The knee is sore on a deep squat and generally ok walking around. I did a strength test on Friday and off a 9 inch box, single leg squats, 4 left and 8 right. This was progress from zero on my left with the physio last week. It did hurt a little to do the 4 reps but its progress nonetheless :cool:

1,114/2,600 miles (1,794/4,200 km)
    3,896/10k press ups | 665/2k pull ups
    146/157 days active | 129 Run | 20 Row | 31 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

**Vent** :(

Being injured is super annoying. What could be worse? A new pair of, super comfy exactly what you need, shoes arriving that you cannot test out :(

I ordered a pair of Reebok Floatride Energy 3 over 6 weeks ago. Actually forgot about them until I had to order something else for my teen. Order history confirmed delivery to the office. Picked them up and tried them on, niiice. I am itching to try them out.

The left hip is improving which can only mean my left glute strength is improving. In turn my left quad strength is improving which in turn is reducing the load on my left knee. I hit my physio strength goal a week early. 10 single leg squats off a 9 inch box, each leg. However, it took full stubborn effort on the left leg and it was sore enough to complete the 10 reps. I almost justified that running is not deep squats :rolleyes: But I'm closer to getting back running. Just need to remain patient.

• Advertisement

Recovery Week 4: Transition back to Running :)
    Continued S&C focus work and some running.

Total running miles: 6 miles in 50min :)

Mon: 32min Progression Row, 36min S&C
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: 40min Row with 4x20s, 4x30s, 2x40s, 8'LT
    Thu: 36min Row, 15' S&C EMOM
    Fri: 20min Easy @8:33 :), 20min S&C
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 30min Easy @8:08

The midweek workout on the rower was planned originally as hill reps and 8 mins LT. It was humid and despite pulling the rower outside, I melted :( Would have much preferred to run this!

The hip has been feeling good so a short tester jog in and out of town felt ok. No complaints from my hip and the knee felt ok once warned up. On Sunday I ran a little more (30 mins) on the fabulous Banna Beach. Strava shows it like I swam it but the tide was out. Loved this and I really wanted to run more. Its a huge beach and just perfect for running. Straight into the cold Atlantic with the kids afterwards which felt amazing :) Overall just 6 miles over 2 runs but both positive.

On the S&C side of things, I did 560 push ups and 90 pull ups along with over an hour combined of lunges and single leg squats. Physio this week so I should pass his strength test :rolleyes: Looking forward to a few more runs this week.

1,114/2,600 miles (1,794/4,200 km)
    4,456/10k press ups | 755/2k pull ups
    141/165 days active | 132 Run | 23 Row | 35 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

Advertisement