Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hope all is well concerning the covid tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hope all is well concerning the covid tests.
    Thanks V. Call from Doc earlier and I'm negative. Came around pretty fast though (<24hrs) and didn't get the text. The system is not great he said. Mrs Shotgun and my youngest waiting on theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Fingers crossed for the entire fam :)

Jan 8
    16.78k with 6x4min LT (Lactate Threshold) | avg HRR 70% max HRR 85%

Happy running :) Really enjoyed this one! Crisp cold beautiful lunchtime. A few slippery parts on 4k warm up. Lots of people walking on the outside of the curb to avoid the slippery paths so I had to run into the middle of the road at times to keep my distance. The objective was to take this session conservatively. I wanted to aim for 4:00 pace but aimed for a pace of 4:10. I figured I can always adapt to 40 min 10k pace next time if I felt good enough.

The HRR data would be the governing factor for that decision. It felt like lower LT zone or sweet spot training. Effort that feels like work but you are still breathing comfortably. I recovered well on the 2 mins easy too. 2 of the reps were outside the target range but barely so. Overall decent control and happy to execute a 2nd workout this week.

The data afterwards tells me I spent 5 of 24 "work" minutes in the Lactate threshold zone. That less time banked in that zone than I would have liked. It tells me that I could try the 4:00 pace on the same session next week and see where that lands.

This conservative approach is a change for me. Normally I'd set my goal pace and execute a workout. It feels better to finish well within myself knowing I can progress it next time :)

6x4min LT (HRR 80-90%) off 2mins easy
    Target 4:10 range 4:05-4:15
    dist|time|pace|in range
    0.98km|4:00|4:04|No
    0.97km|4:00|4:07|Yes
    0.98km|4:00|4:04|No
    0.98km|4:00|4:06|Yes
    0.97km|4:00|4:08|Yes
    0.97km|4:00|4:07|Yes

50/2,600 miles (81/4,200 km)
    386/10,000 press ups
    220/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    8/8 days active

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In relation to conservative I read an interesting couple of lines during the week. It's better to push from below rather than pull from above i.e train don't strain. If your theorerical threshold is 4min/km it's better to run 4.05 than 3.55.

Mind that foot! Ten miles volume with a session is no mean feat.

• Advertisement

Thanks P. My goal is to PR but not leaping over tall buildings for it. Iterative process. Sub 40 first. Ill move the session on a few seconds next week. When I can execute at 3:55, I'll lengthen the reps and start building to the TT. Ill catch the sub20 5k as I go.

Re: Shoes question on Strava. I wore the Boston 8 today. As I got back to running recently I've been rotating easy shoes only. Peg 36, Beacon 3 and 1080v10. The foot situation is there and I'm managing. Hence why I've avoided more snug fitting shoes like Boston 7 and 8, NB 1500v5 and Adizero 4. Tried Boston 7 on the Tuesday session. 360km in them. Went fine but now more conscious about fit.

Relaced the Boston 8 today, just 40km on them. A size up for my wide foot but nice fit once I have the 2 fingers width between eyelets. When I first tried the Boston 8 I really thought daily trainer and maybe longer steady runs. So the LT reps not the use case for me today. Having said that, the Adizero 4 are tighter again and while I ran the 5k and mile TTs in them last year, too much ground feel and too tight for my foot right now.

I do like the adidas feel for mid range. I think I'll try one of the higher stack height shoes for tempo stuff this year. But first need to get more miles on some current shoes.

I can't warm to the Boston 8 atall. I think it's mainly the upper I don't like. Cushioning is fine for me. I like the Adidas boost foam. Very different to Nike.

Huge fan of the adizero adios 3 and 4. Id use the 3 and 4 for sessions and tempo running. Would've used them racing more if I hadn't purchased a bunch of fancy racers!

I much prefer the Adidas boost foam to the Nike zoom x. The peg36 and Boston 8, both black and same size, sit next to each other on the rack. I use both for similar purposes although I'll reach for the Boston 8 for tempo before the Pegs. The upper isn't exciting in either of them. Both nice shoes to run easy to stretchy miles but the Boston is a more fun shoe. Interestingly I looked over some garmin run dynamic history. Dynamics I actively use are HR, Cadence, L/R balance and Zones.

The L/R ground contact balance is usually 48.5% L / 51.5% R with worst case being 48/52. Not a huge diviation. However the 4% difference (a magic number apparently!) over thousands of steps must make a difference? Maybe why my right hip flexor gives out sometimes.

Nike Peg 36 - avg 48.8/51.2
    Boston 8 avg 49.6/50.4

It may be nothing but <1% balance deviation for the Boston 8 may be one reason why a prefer the boost foam. It has just a bit more pop.

In terms of pop, looking forward to someday trying out some of those fancy racers!

What route do you think you'd go with the fancy racers? Which ones pique your interest most?

What route do you think you'd go with the fancy racers? Which ones pique your interest most?
    Have a pair of Endorphin Speeds winging their way to me. Wont wear them until I break my 2020 Boards 5k TT PR in "normal Adizero 4". I want to earn them.

Also, when I can get them, Adidas Adios Pro. Ill set a personal goal to earn the right to wear those too!

Mainly because neither of them have a full carbon plate. The Endorphin Speeds have a nylon plate and the Adios Pro a heel plate and metatarsal rods... I'm intrigued!

Both reasonably priced too. Nike are basically adding a brand tax IMO. Really good that other brands are getting their act together. Ill be very late to the party by the time I try them out though.

• Advertisement

Jan 9
    C2 Row 20mins steady warm up
    S&C 35mins Skipping & Plyometrics | avg HRR 65% max HRR 79%
    11.9k Jan RPE challenge | avg HRR 66% max HRR 73%

Family all back negative. Relief.
    I didnt get out in the freezing fog this morning before Mrs Shotgun got ready for work so window lost, I thought. Workout after I'd fed the kids. Steady row interrupted by injury. Not to me, my youngest took a hopper wrestling with his sister. Just a bump and he was fine.

Out onto the freezing decking for 10mins skipping. Still learning. Still whipping my ankles.

The workout was 3 rounds of 60s/15s and 1min break.
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    16kg DB snatch
    Box jumps
    12kg slam ball thrusters
    Plank with reach back and out

Tougher than it looks written down!

My daughter got a fitbit for Xmas and constantly showing me her steps. Heading to bed she checked mine. Despite a walk today, just 6k. "You need to go out and run abd get your 10,000!" She said. "And give me a hug when you get back... so I can check!". I had a roaring fire on and Mrs Shotgun was home settling down. I reluctantly headed out into the dark freezing fog.

Figured I'd run on feel for an hour for an attempt at the challenge on the forum. 59:05 was a decent effort. Within a minute. Brain hurt from trying to do maths while running though.

57/2,600 miles (93/4,200 km)
    386/10,000 press ups
    220/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    9/9 days active

Jan 10
    8.12k easy @5:22 | avg HRR 57% max HRR 64%

More or less hit my weekly targets by Saturday this week so this was a few very easy kms. Watching Irelands Fittest Family my daughter got us up for "back against the wall". She did well at 8 mins, in bare feet and fluffy pyjamas, she is 6. I held the squat for 20 mins. The quads were burning but not under too much pressure. I needed them for a run. My sister video called us a few mins later. My uber competitive niece finished up with flushed cheeks after 24 mins. She is 7. No doubt my brother and his kids were at it too.

Tucked in the kids and got the run done, mainly to hit the last objective of the week. All of a sudden its mild out!!

Overall a good week.
    90k, 7 days active and 10 hours
    7hrs running, 2hrs S&C, 1hr rowing
    2x workouts and feeling good.

More of the same next week.

63/2,600 miles (101/4,200 km)
    431/10,000 press ups
    235/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    10/10days active

Jan 11
    Plyometrics 21min PE with Joe
    16.86k Steasy @4:55 |avg HRR 66% max 75%

A mild soggy dreary breezy day out there today. Grey, grey grey. Got soaked in that unrelenting heavy mist. Felt easy until I maintained cadence running up hills into that breeze. Effort spilled into the steady aerobic zone.. the abyss. Still, I appreciated getting out of suburbia and into the potholed countryside for a few clicks. Not bothered with the alerts, just ran.

My daughter has PE with Joe in her home school schedule so we all got involved this morning. He had 120k live following :eek: It was 2 rounds of 10 exercises 35s/25s. Amazing how hard a "bunny ears hop" can attack your lower core! My daughter told me to stop doing the burpees so fast as it gave me an "angry face" :D

6x10 push ups and 6x5 pull ups afterwards. Big red face for team meeting :cool:

74/2,600 miles (118/4,200 km)
    491/10,000 press ups
    265/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    10/10days active

Even competitive with your own kids....... Haha

Jan 12
    15.67k inc 3x(3,2,1min off 60s) 2 mins easy | avg HRR 73% max 91%

Wretched weather. Not a single dog walker on paths that were thronged a few days ago. Mrs Shotgun off today meant I could get out during the day, and avoid the home schooling. However that entailed watching the horizontal misty rain out the window all morning. Hardly enticing to run let alone do a workout :rolleyes:

Wore the Adizero 4 for the first time since last summer. Lovely lovely shoe. No bother in the wet, locked in and tap tap tap... loving the cadence of a fresh speed workout. 20 miserable minutes warm up. A few other resilient January runners out, mostly grimacing.

I hit the target pace for most reps but it was about getting it done reluctantly. The Industrial Estate was wet, gritty, dirty and full of trucks. During the final 3 minute rep into the wind a HGV, forced me onto the path and nearly threw me off balance. As it passed a gust of air and dirty water enveloped me.

17 of the 18 work minutes banked in the threshold zone and barely touched the red zone. An ugly gritty sort of workout but good value.

3x (3',2',1min off 60s) 2 mins easy
    Target 3:50 range 3:45-3:55
    rep dist|rep time|avg pace|in range
    0.80km|3:00|3:46|Yes
    0.53km|2:00|3:48|Yes
    0.28km|1:00|3:36|No
    0.79km|3:00|3:47|Yes
    0.53km|2:00|3:47|Yes
    0.26km|1:00|3:52|Yes
    0.78km|3:00|3:50|Yes
    0.54km|2:00|3:40|No
    0.26km|1:00|3:47|Yes

83/2,600 miles (134/4,200 km)
    491/10,000 press ups
    265/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    11/11 days active

Love the Adizero 4. Definitely no issue with grip - Continental sole! Funny the way things have gone with shoes. Three years ago it would have been my go to racer. Not sure it would even feature as a possibility now.

Love the Adizero 4. Definitely no issue with grip - Continental sole! Funny the way things have gone with shoes. Three years ago it would have been my go to racer. Not sure it would even feature as a possibility now.

Yeah the continental sole is awesome. Just 80m (130k) on them and have another pair new in a box. Guess I'll be using them for a while yet. The fancy racers (when I get them) will sit there looking at me until I PR. The Boards 5k TT PR (18:53) will do. It will be a while until I'm back in that shape. Then hopefully the fancy racers will take me on to lifetime PRs!

Jan 13
    12.65k @5:13 Easy miles | avg HRR 57% max 67%
    Yoga 36 mins | Yoga with Adrienne "Breathe" Day 2/30
    Plyometrics 20 min PE with Joe

Relaxed run around the city bridges. A few other 7am runners and walkers about, otherwise rather peaceful. Even the swans were still asleep or lazily grooming themselves. The sounds of chirping passing the empty fabulous Curragower restaurant. More akin to the dawn chorus of a Sunday morning than midweek.

Its one of my favourite corners of Limerick to run. Around the Treaty Stone and onto the old Thomond Bridge facing King Johns Castle. In the 17th century during an early Irish Rebellion, a few hundred protestants holed up in the castle. They positioned snipers in the small town houses across from the massive castle entrance, to protect the bridge passageway. Some of those houses remain and are now painted in bright colours. My imagination often runs, crossing this oldest part of Limerick. The battles that took place. So many times Limerick itself was burned to the ground but the Castle and bridge remained.

Some Yoga with Adrienne when I got back. Lulled by 10 minutes of easy breathing and meditation before the glutes and core burned. "Breathe" Day 2 of 30. Check it out if you are into yoga. Enjoyable one.

20 minutes excitable family PE with Joe afterward. 35 sec on 25 sec off. 20 exercises. The hilarity and pain of the duck walk and bear crawl around the room colliding into each other :D

For a finish 5 sets of press ups to max with a minute rest. I managed 52, 15, 13, 12, 12. That last 12 was everything I had to drag the total to 100 for the first time. My shoulders and arms were on fire and dead from the first set. 4 more sets to max after it was just nasty. Total 104 reps.

survivor-of-thomond-bridge-tragedy-praises-organisers-of-candlelight-vigil.jpg

91/2,600 miles (146/4,200 km)
    595/10,000 press ups | 265/2,000 pull ups
    24/1,000 km rowing
    13/13 days active | 11 Run | 4 Row | 8 S&C | 2 Yoga

Love that part of town too - didnt realise the history. Great pic.

Love that part of town too - didnt realise the history. Great pic.

Thats more recent history. It goes back over 1300 years to the Vikings! I find knowing even a little history about your routes, particularly if you run by landmarks, makes the route that bit more interesting. There is a nice little coffee house "Jack Mondays" on the bridge too opposite the Treaty Stone.

Folks if you are ever in Limerick and going for a run, give me a holler for a running tour :)

• Advertisement

Thats more recent history. It goes back over 1300 years to the Vikings! I find knowing even a little history about your routes, particularly if you run by landmarks, makes the route that bit more interesting. There is a nice little coffee house "Jack Mondays" on the bridge too opposite the Treaty Stone.

Folks if you are ever in Limerick and going for a run, give me a holler for a running tour :)

Could you tell me something interesting about the Condell Road then coz I'm sh*t sick of it. Lol

Could you tell me something interesting about the Condell Road then coz I'm sh*t sick of it. Lol

Easy! Stop running on the road and run on the path more! Back up on my log B commented. Its a former Olympian training trail (Neil Cusak 1972 10,000m... your favourite event!)There is now a grass trail beside the path. Notice the river beside you. Pass other runners. Stop for a moment at the furthest pier from town (see the photo from last week on my log. Thats where I took it!). Sometimes you see rowing boats, sometimes swans asleep, awake feeding. Ducks same. Can be as calm as glass or white rolling heads. Some times fishermen. Most days a sunset or sunrise.

Or just run different routes! I swear you've worn a hole in the North Circular...! Take your long run out the old Cratloe road or the riverbank out to Corbally...

Easy! Stop running on the road and run on the path more! Back up on my log B commented. Its a former Olympian training trail (Neil Cusak 1972 10,000m... your favourite event!)There is now a grass trail beside the path. Notice the river beside you. Pass other runners. Stop for a moment at the furthest pier from town (see the photo from last week on my log. Thats where I took it!). Sometimes you see rowing boats, sometimes swans asleep, awake feeding. Ducks same. Can be as calm as glass or white rolling heads. Some times fishermen. Most days a sunset or sunrise.

Or just run different routes! I swear you've worn a hole in the North Circular...! Take your long run out the old Cratloe road or the riverbank out to Corbally...

Haha fair point in me wearing out North circular. In fairness the long run varies between raheen and UL riverbank. I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to running routes partly due to my crap sense of direction.

Jan 14
    11.88k Steasy @4:47 | avg HRR 62% max 75%

Draaaaggged my carcass out of the bed this morning for this. Sat on the bottom step of the stairs, chin in the palms of my hands staring out at the darkness for too long. Almost procrastinated my way back to the warm bed. Instead, 1080v10s on and got it done. Sleepy first km (5:25), I nearly collided with another runner crossing a road. It woke me up. Focused on cadence for the most part and lifted the pace a little on the way home (4:35). Day just about starting to break. Had to be up and done before Mrs Shotgun left for work. Chocolate peanut butter banana cold oats for breakfast, NOM :)

Been a heavy work week and home alone with the kids today, balancing WFH and school. I sort of intended a row later but realistically, a foam roll and curl up with some light reading is likely. I'm already yawning at my screen. By light reading I mean I finally finished Sapiens and now onto Robert Galbraith Strike novels.

98/2,600 miles (158/4,200 km)
    24/1,000 km rowing
    14/14 days active | 12 Run | 4 Row | 8 S&C | 2 Yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

survivor-of-thomond-bridge-tragedy-praises-organisers-of-candlelight-vigil.jpg

Every time I see that view I hear the voice of Frank McCourt in my head, going on about the rain, the Lives of the Saints, and the galloping consumption. :D

539487.png

Jan 15
    12.32k Easy @5:07 | HRR 56-66% Power 382w

Stumbled grumpily out the door. Skipped happily back in :)

More dark easy miles. Too early for the sunrise even. The birds were barely awake. Has to be done. When the kids return to school, I'll need to be done by 0730. However I may also have opportunity for lunchtime runs. Its been a heavy week between work pressure, home schooling, consistency creeping into training, Joe Wicks DOMs etc.. I was feeling a bit fatigued yesterday evening. I had a workout planned for today but woke up still a bit fatigued. Opted for easy miles instead.

With tiredness and stress I went for easy snack options. Chocolate and bowls of cereal instead of apple and nuts. Not all the time but enough to make me feel meh. Lent approaches in a few weeks

I downloaded power for the watch and phone. Just curious to track as I used power a lot for cycling and rowing back in the days. Its a very useful metric actually. Tracking your functional threshold power instead of threshold pace is more valuable as the pace could be exhausting you or outside your target zone. I'm really not sure how it actually applies to running though. The power output in cycling or rowing is straight into a chain or into water and physically measurable form that POV. Heart Rate or RPE are probably the closest trackers over the variability of terrain, conditions, health.. However power or wattage typically gives you instant feedback when you hit a hill, if you are coasting or the impact of sudden surges. I guess the debate is out for what I've read so far but still curious.

106/2,600 miles (171/4,200 km)
    24/1,000 km rowing
    15/15 days active | 13 Run | 4 Row | 8 S&C | 2 Yoga

Jan 16
    16.91k inc 6x4min LT | HRR 66-86%

Cold calm evening under the clear crescent moon and stars. Late getting out for this but felt good. Avg rep last week 4:06 with 5/24 work minutes in LT zone. Avg 3:57 this time with 17/24 minutes in LT zone. Much better. I missed the target range on most reps but just about and the effort was still low to mid LT. Just more threshold minutes in the bank. Good workout.

6x4min LT (HRR 80-90%) off 2mins easy
    Target 4:03 range 3:58-4:08
    dist|time|pace|in range
    1.03km|4:00|3:54|No
    1.01km|4:00|3:58|Yes
    1.01km|4:00|3:57|No
    1.02km|4:00|3:56|No
    1.00km|4:00|3:59|Yes
    1.01km|4:00|3:57|No

Jan 17
    15.23k Easy @4:57 | HRR 61-69%
    Row 21 min 5,011m | HRR 57-67%
    Calisthenics 37 min

Relaxed run today focusing on form.
    Hips forward - I tend to sink to the right
    Clean mid foot strike - I tend to glide/skid in
    Run tall - I tend to slouch which affects breathing

Easy Row and Cals later.
    Forward lunges
    Squats
    Reverse lunges with knee drive
    Glute bridges
    Calf raises
    Pushups
    Pullups
    Plank
    V sits
    Superman's

Overall solid week 101.5km.
    8hrs running and 2hrs non running movement (Plyo, cals, yoga, row). 1 more week then a 5k TT to see where I'm at.

126/2,600 miles (204/4,200 km)
    695/10,000 press ups | 295/2,000 pull ups
    29/1,000 km rowing
    17/17 days active | 15 Run | 5 Row | 9 S&C | 2 Yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Did someone analyse your form or are you self-analysing?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Did someone analyse your form or are you self-analysing?

Hey D. I've had my stride and form analysed years ago and went digging for the file recently. That was more about my foot strike and thinking about shoes though. A friend of mine analysed my shoes and stride too and gave me some feedback. So thats the shoe wear and foot strike.

Posture: From regular physio visits the last 3 years I ought to be keenly aware of the impact of sitting at a desk for long periods. My office (at home) is ergonomic and I've made a proactive effort to sit right most of the time. It was a video I watched recently that sort of made me think about running posture, particularly running straight out of bed or from the desk. Basically give my body a chance to stretch, tall and open my shoulders etc.. I've gone out running automatically too often so I decided to "switch on" at least once a week. I used to take this approach to swimming to good effect years ago. (Went from 27min 1,500m to 22 min 1,500m with regular technical focus).

Then I had a penny drop this last weekend. Amidst the general aches of getting back into gear, my upper back from neck to mid vertebrae were a bit stiff and I put it down to a couple of very long work days and perhaps press ups. Running was sort of loosening it out. Also the notorious sartorious on my right hip became a bit stiff (I blame Joe Wicks duck walks) and this was a bit more significant to nip in the bud for running. I'd normally see my physio but he is off work.

So, in a very long winded way, I applied and exaggerated the "running tall" combined with a cleaner foot strike. It felt like the opposite of of "plod" if that makes sense? Like a slower version of the stride posture. All of a sudden both my upper back and right hip felt better! I went back to "plod" again and then back to "running tall". The difference in how it felt was profound. It felt like I was on to something.

• Advertisement

Jan 18
    14.79k Easy inc 6x20s strides | HRR 64-86% Power 396-800w!

Touched 800 watts sprinting uphill :eek:

Ok, the power metric for running is still super subjective. However any metric is interesting if the numbers are at least consistent. I've found my first week using it that my easy run pace is around 340-370w. Doing a set of strides today toward the end of an easy run I was interested in this metric.

Firstly the power change registers faster than heart rate. I trust heart rate but despite running near max speed I never hit the red zone. Thats because 30 seconds is too short a time for your heart rate to go that high if not sustained. Immediately easing off after a stride means your heart rate stops climbing. As such its not a great guage of effort.

Power on the other hand was immediate. Accelerate over 10 strides for 60 hard strides and the wattage hit 650w. Almost double the effort of my easy pace. After 3 reps I had had to negotiate some roadside construction and a steep flyover. I was going to leave it until I got over the flyover but curiosity got the better of me. I built into the strides again and gave it close to full effort up the flyover hill and this is where it maxed at 800w. Thats a serious boost of energy!

It brought home a how important it is to be warmed up fully for strides, execute with good form and leave them toward the end of your run. Also how weird to Muggles a dude in a headband looks, pegging it down the bus lane :D

EuyhVrqvqB6dNvNNnUpOkU4yvhtHQsoJcGQq6VFOcC4-2048x970.jpg

135/2,600 miles (218/4,200 km)
    695/10,000 press ups | 295/2,000 pull ups
    29/1,000 km rowing
    18/18 days active | 16 Run | 5 Row | 9 S&C | 2 Yoga

Advertisement