Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff M, very well done man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Crikey that's some run!! well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Outstanding. That was a great read.

"I felt as though I was done, 700m to go and there is no more in the tank. However 181HR on my watch face tells me there is more to give."

LOVE this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Best 5 km in a decade too. That's feicen brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's some run M, 5k around industrial estates! Well written too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Excellent, congratulations on that result. It made for a very exciting read ! Great to have some 'race' reports for motivation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

That's an amazing performance, well done!

All that time on the erg has paid off obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice one M. Thats a very strong run and finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great run. Only a surprise to you though. Some of us saw that coming ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great run. Only a surprise to you though. Some of us saw that coming ;)

Maybe, but not in January!

• Advertisement

Jan 27
    8.5k Easy @5:22 |HRR 63%
    S&C: 33 Mins Calisthenics

Even though the average HR was 135 and pace 5:22, it was not easy enough. I need to be more disciplined about recovery runs :rolleyes: I've reset my zones slightly to ensure my recovery zone is capped at 60% HRR. If it means walking hills that is what I'll have to do. Legs generally good today. Right groin a bit stiff but that has been stiff for the last week and I'm stretching. Had a very poor nights sleep last night, unusual for me. Mind just working overtime.

Immediately after the run in a light misty rain, I joined a S&C class being hosted by work. It was light but always variants to make movements harder. Decent sweat on for half an hour and I look forward to get back to S&C more regularly with the TT out of the way for now.

206/2,600 miles (327/4,200 km)
    755/10,000 press ups | 295/2,000 pull ups
    29/1,000 km rowing
    27/27 days active | 25 Run | 5 Row | 10 S&C | 3 Yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just catching up here, phenomenal 5k result! Congrats, well deserved, you put so much work in it's not a surprise to see you yield good results.

Jan 28
    13.9k Easy @5:17

Horrible run under a fabulously bright full moon. Nice evening for a run but I felt both mentally and physically drained. Just one of things where I seemed to internalise everything. Back ached from sitting down so much. I need to get up and walk around for some meetings. The kids really need other social interaction. They miss their friends and zoom or wattsapp calls are just weird. Plodded around town for the bones of 70mins. Totally meh..

215/2,600 miles (341/4,200 km)
    29/1,000 km rowing
    28/28 days active | 26 Run | 5 Row | 10 S&C | 3 Yoga

I hear ya man. But you got out anyway. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Sounds like a total COVID run :/

Think your body's a bit hungover from the 5k TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Missed the 5k here and on Strava. Nice work M.

Sounds like a total COVID run :/

Think your body's a bit hungover from the 5k TT?

Probably! I've learned the hard way about races, TTs. I have some epic tearful fails.

It usually came from underestimating race plans. Setting out big stretch goals, giving it my all and then thinking I can surf the wave of that fitness or PR to a lesser though significant "B" goal. Never affording my body, as it gets older, proper time to rest. Last year I changed my approach and it was due to Covid really. With no pressure of a looming Marathon plan, I switched to the rowing machine after U got injured off the back of my last 5k. So I could still use that base fitness and motivation to build to something fulfilling.

So, undoubtedly the 5k this week is a symptom. Its mixed with homeschooling, work pressure, poor sleep and a real Covid mental headwreck. I'm really missing people this week, in a way that a phone call or video call doesn't fulfill. My eldest son, my parents, friends, siblings, even the banter at the office. Its the same for everyone so I'm not whining about it. Running is a great way of almost literally moving out of the cloud and leveling with yourself.

Anyway, I usually take 2 days easy between workouts. Usually in a plan, because they build fatigue progressively, recovery is carefully balanced. You are aware of pushing a workout out by a day to recover but also pushing it closer to the next workout. Since there is no pressure of a pressure of race/plan, I'm a lot more relaxed about it and as a result take recovery more seriously. That recovery is about taking stock of where you are mentally and physically too. The body feels better today but I'll still run easy and put the intended work onto the mat instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

A lot of distance runners underestimate 5km. If you race it to your full potential you'll know about it for the guts of a week.

Its the same for everyone so I'm not whining about it.

I need to check myself on this from time to time. Just because other people might be worse off doesn't mean we can't whine. This is sh1t!

Jan 29
    9.35k Easy @5:55 | HRR 52-61%

Almost a non active day. However I set a goal to be active everyday, even if its just a short bit of yoga to stretch to body from the office chair. Super slow meander around a darkening suburbia. Every other runner I encountered were in stark contrast to how my legs felt, springy gazelles. DOMs in both hamstrings made a slow pace feel wooden and painfully pedestrian. You should feel better after an easy run, than you felt starting. I felt worse. The foam roller was not pleasant either. Day 2 DOMs are always worse though. LT workout planned for tomorrow will go in the bin if the hammers don't recover with sleep.

224/2,600 miles (347/4,200 km)
    29/1,000 km rowing
    29/29 days active | 27 Run | 5 Row | 10 S&C | 3 Yoga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Way behind here - congrats on that amazing TT. Very interesting approach, carried off with a considerable plomb. :)

I’d be in recovery for a good while after that. Take it handy.

Jan 30
    Row 5k inc 5x400m LT | HRR 68-89%
    Mobility 15min GoWOD Check

The hammers were still stiff today, right one very stiff. Definitely overstretched it. Reluctantly, no running. To keep up the active days I hopped on the Erg for a quick 5k. To keep it interesting I rowed easy for 600m and finished each Km at tempo at progressively quicker rates. 20, 22, ,24, 26, 28. The last 400m was at my 2k effort. Fitness really can be specific. A couple of months back running and cobwebs on the rower meant this felt tougher than it last did last autumn.

After I completely cooled down I downloaded an app called GoWOD Mobility. You can subscribe to it to improve mobility, stretch, flexibility etc but I just wanted to check my current mobility. The results were unsurprising.

Overall Mobility 58%
    Shoulders 67%
    Overhead 50%
    Hips 85%
    Posterior Chain 13%
    Ankles 100%

This is consistent with what my physio tells me. I have good hip mobility but my posterior chain (hip hinge/hamstrings) is rubbish. I can't touch my toes without rounding my back. My overhead mobility is a symptom of working at a desk. I tire very easily with overhead or lateral shoulder exercises. Improvement in these results is a very slow process but an improved posture and improved flexibility can only help running form and injury prevention. So, I'll focus on this and check again next month.

Wf7ul1358LE8uF1oA71ZLeKs6u8ybZZNZ2A19lworT4-2048x1843.jpg

226/2,600 miles (364/4,200 km)
    34/1,000 km rowing
    30/30 days active | 27 Run | 6 Row | 11 S&C | 3 Yoga

Great tip off M, will download that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

That's a serious amount of press ups and pull ups. Do you follow a calisthenics program or just a mish mash of body weight exercise?

API wrote: »
    That's a serious amount of press ups and pull ups. Do you follow a calisthenics program or just a mish mash of body weight exercise?

Hey API - no I don't follow a program. Its not quite a mish mash either. Sometimes more leg focused, or more running specific focused, upper body or core focused, or I just want to have a go at some workout PR like "Cindy" or "Fran" or tabata burpees :eek:

Forgot to ask if you'd seen hang tough on Irelands fittest family last week and whether you're gonna give it a try! I must do the back against the wall one now that I think of it..

Forgot to ask if you'd seen hang tough on Irelands fittest family last week and whether you're gonna give it a try! I must do the back against the wall one now that I think of it..
    Saw it tonight. 6-8min total per team. Not great, some of the ould lads a couple of years ago were up there for that length on their own. I can do about 3min on my clip on pull up bar but can straighten my legs. A free hang over cold water may entice me to hang on a bit longer. My all ireland silver medal 7 year old niece can hang out of a bar for ages. She is tiny and weighs nothing. I think she can do a minute or two alone hanging from her feet!

Honestly as runners we should be able to do the back against the wall for 20-30mins

Saw it tonight. 6-8min total per team. Not great, some of the ould lads a couple of years ago were up there for that length on their own. I can do about 3min on my clip on pull up bar but can straighten my legs. A free hang over cold water may entice me to hang on a bit longer. My all ireland silver medal 7 year old niece can hang out of a bar for ages. She is tiny and weighs nothing. I think she can do a minute or two alone hanging from her feet!

Honestly as runners we should be able to do the back against the wall for 20-30mins

20- 30 minutes :eek: I hope that's not the April challenge:D

Jan 31 and monthly roundup
    13.06k @4:37 Steady 3rd attempt at the January Challenge | HRR 70-80%
    S&C: Calisthenics 42 mins

Set out at a steady rhythm for this. It will evolve into a Long Run in February. I missed all the rain today so with ok conditions I covered the watch again for one last go. The difference this time was I was moving quicker so needed to add a bit to the route. More importantly the Hamstring DOMs have mostly subsided and it felt good to run again. The legs wanted to open up but I maintained a sub marathon effort. I ran on the roads mostly as the paths were thronged with walkers. As such I was covering ground more efficiently than the last attempt and I figured I'd come in early. Alas! 1:00:13... the exact same time as my last attempt :rolleyes: Pretty close again but no improvement.

I had woken up with an annoying crick in my neck. One of those ones that bother you at every head turn and runs down your lats. I figured the couch would not help so movement was necessary. I pulled a posted with a workout off the wall where it was looking at me for the week and figured I'd get it done. After the GoWOD Mobility check yesterday I was acutely aware of form too.

Simple workout but 600 reps! Felt good afterwards :)
    40 dead lift with 2x 16kg Kettlebells (got delivery of another last week at last)
    40 squats with a 16kg KB on each shoulder
    40 push ups
    40 forward lunges
    40 calf raises
    40 reverse lunges with knee drive
    40 chin/pull ups (10,8,7,6,5,4)
    40 crunches (20,20)
    40 flutter kicks
    40 side plank dips (10,10,10,10 each side... burn!)
    40 glute bridges
    40 mountain climbers
    40 sec plank
    40 dead bugs
    40 supermans

Overall a decent January in that it was not as usual, overexuberant. Easy was easy and workouts were planned and mostly controlled within planned ranges. I executed a solid 5k TT and manged the foot as well as I could. I started foam rolling regularly too.

Overall numbers for January
    41 hours and 234miles (377 km)
    795 press ups | 335 pull ups | 34km rowing
    31/31 days active | 28 Run | 6 Row | 12 S&C | 3 Yoga

The focus for February is much the same.
    A focus on improving nutrition as Lent approaches
    More regular mobility elements to break up my working day
    The same HR approach to a 10k TT, targeting sub40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You’ll be delighted to know my posterior chain is as bad as yours. I was surprised they gave me even 13% tbh!

Advertisement