Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with Ben's plan, big fan of his videos and like you I also like his attitude to running in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Strides pre workout will warm you up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Strides pre workout will warm you up quickly.

True. I've been doing strides before interval sessions last few workouts. It was so wet today I had to stick to footpaths and didn't want to risk the ankles on those lumpy driveway curbs etc.. Some manky weather we are having this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nothing wrong with that session, in any conditions. Good stuff and good luck with the new routine.

BP 10K Plan Week 0

Sat Mar 13
    15.23k @4:58 | HRR 61-72%

Got this done first thing. The first km felt awful. Sleepy, aches, plodding and running west towards dark clouds. The wind was a breeze compared to mid week and keeping the watch covered I ran on feel, easy as I felt. I became distracted by everything, the swans waking up, dogs walking their owners, delivery trucks unloading stock...and the black clouds closing in. I expected another soaking. However, half way through I turned to run back home east with a clear sky and the sun rising. Its been a while since I saw one and the run stared to feel pleasant. The clouds soon closed in but I returned home for breakfast feeling energised and dry for the first run this week :)

Sun Mar 14
    22.59k @4:51 | HRR 64-76%

What would we do without Johnny Sexton's steely composure?! He sure gave Gatland something to think about today. I finally got out after a late breakfast in bed for Mrs Shotgun and a stack of blueberry and banana american pancakes with the kids. Leaving time for those to settle I squeezed the long run in before the match. Beforehand the kids headed out to keep Mum company on day 1 of her Garmin Coach 5k plan :) Same as yesterday, ran easy on feel, only longer. I kept this vanilla to give me a chance to start the 10k plan reasonably fresh tomorrow. Took in a good portion of the city I don't often run too so it was fun. It was quite blustery in parts but I simply kept relaxed enjoying a refreshed easy running playlist :) Its my third week in a row finishing with a long run and another 100km week.

The plan is low volume. Just 50km week 1 progressing to 70km week 7 over 5-6 runs. It seems a bit at odds with a sub40 plan but I'll bolster it with easy volume. The work portion, although simple enough, will be at new paces for me. As such I'm prepared to take rest days or reduce volume any given week. The one aspect I'll take most seriously is recovery.

Total for the week: 102.2km in 8hrs 24 :) & Zero S&C :(

580/2,600 miles (934/4,200 km)
    1,328/10k press ups | 470/2k pull ups
    71/73 days active | 66 Run | 6 Row | 19 S&C | 8 Yoga/Pilates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Best of luck with the 10k plan, enjoy!

What is the plan out of interest? How many weeks? Will you do a TT at the end of it or just use it as a sharpening plan?

Best of luck with the 10k plan, enjoy!

What is the plan out of interest? How many weeks? Will you do a TT at the end of it or just use it as a sharpening plan?

Cheers! Its a simple 10k Plan from Ben Parkes Its the "advanced 35-40 min" plan over 8 weeks. Short and low volume but specific workouts. I'll look to do a TT at the end of it. I'll take the same approach as the 5k in January though. I'll use heart rate on the day to control effort rather than chase a specific pace. Mainly because it will be my first 10k in years.

If I PR (sub 38) happy days. Right now I intend to bridge to a marathon plan afterwards but if DCM is off I may keep the focus on 5-10k over the summer.

Cheers! Its a simple 10k Plan from Ben Parkes Its the "advanced 35-40 min" plan over 8 weeks. Short and low volume but specific workouts. I'll look to do a TT at the end of it. I'll take the same approach as the 5k in January though. I'll use heart rate on the day to control effort rather than chase a specific pace. Mainly because it will be my first 10k in years.

If I PR (sub 38) happy days. Right now I intend to bridge to a marathon plan afterwards but if DCM is off I may keep the focus on 5-10k over the summer.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding DCM so fingers crossed.

BP 10K Plan Week 1

Mon Mar 15
    10.00k @5:01 with 5x15s strides & 27 mins pilates core burn

Simple easy 10k so I figured I'd have a go at the March Challenge. It was only 1 second drops so I just ran as steady as I could. As each lap came in I either pushed a little or backed off a little. I knew I missed the first narrowly but got a few in a row and into a zone, until I ran into a lamp post :o:( I had turned a sharp corner and saw a couple in front of me out of the corner of my eye as the lap approached. Ducked out of their way only to run into a light post! Utterly mortified and only pride injured, I kept running. Thankfully it was dark.

Miraculously that lap was 1 sec faster, just about! The plan had strides at the end of the run and I considered stopping at 10k and doing them separately. I was on a roll until km 8 spoiled it. Still negative but missed the 1 second. I had 5/9 splits in the bag so I finished the last km with the strides. It felt great to look up straight and get up on the toes after staring at the watch so much.

March Challenge Splits over 10.00km
    -2, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, -2, -53

Tue Mar 16
    15.46k with 6x 3min intervals off 2min walk/jog | Reps HRR 86-91% & 27 mins yoga with Adrienne "Breathe" Day 9

First workout of the plan and what a gorgeous sunny day for it :) I did a couple of strides en route to the workout and systems checked out. A little noise from the right hip flexor that eased itself out. Simple workout on paper but the paces were a step faster (5-10 secs). I expected to push into the redzone. I had a breeze either at the start or end of each rep. It was harder at the end, wheezing for the lap to end. Overall I found it pretty tough but sort of enjoyed getting stuck into it. I touched the redzone on each rep but it was 18 solid higher threshold minutes banked. Good start to the plan. Already looking forward to the next workout and running super easy tomorrow :)

6x 3 minutes off 2 minutes jog
    Target range 3:31-3:37
    dist|time|pace|in range
    0.85k|3:00|3:33|Yes
    0.85k|3:00|3:32|Yes
    0.84k|3:00|3:33|Yes
    0.84k|3:00|3:33|Yes
    0.83k|3:00|3:36|Yes
    0.83k|3:00|3:35|Yes

That was you I passed yesterday wasnt it?

• Advertisement

That was you I passed yesterday wasnt it?

Jaypers. Do you two not know each other yet? Assumed you’d have teamed up by now for the odd run!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Jaypers. Do you two not know each other yet? Assumed you’d have teamed up by now for the odd run!

1. It was dark.
    2. I'm blind.
    3. I literally ran past my wife's sister last week without even knowing it.
    4. Haven't teamed up yet (we will once restrictions/paranoia in the Swashbuckler household eases)

1. It was dark.
    2. I'm blind.
    3. I literally ran past my wife's sister last week without even knowing it.
    4. Haven't teamed up yet (we will once restrictions/paranoia in the Swashbuckler household eases)

1. It was dark and I wasn't wearing a cap or bandana, A Mrs Shotgun dumb and dumber special style bowl haircut not my usual hairstyle :(:cool:
    2. He had flashing lights around both biceps which distracted me from noticing either his face or that he was wearing tights on a balmy evening :D
    3. March Challenge, I was still dizzy from running into a pole staring at my watch on that lap :rolleyes:
    4. We shouted an acknowledgement at each other running opposite directions, but we will team up for sure. I'll run by his house when 5k lifts cause I know where it is now from Strava :D

Haha I wasn't wearing tights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Low carb & fasting :eek: Keto?

I've adopted intermittent fasting 16:8 for 2-3 days a week and checking macros (for a month only to get into a rhythm). Really makes you consider the timing of your runs.

How'd the trial go?

Wottle wrote: »
    How'd the trial go?

I did 2 days last week on easy run days and it was fine. Nutrition 8am-4pm and fast. I chose that window as I think breakfast is important, I never skip it and its a family meal. The evening snacks were my problem. As I was checking macros I made sure I ate as usual but kept protein and fats up. I was hungry in the evening. Just had a green tea. Small kcal deficit. Slept fine and really enjoyed breakfast. It was tough to hold off while the kids had theirs but I just busied myself with getting things ready. Had my usual 500-700 kcal breakfast then after the school run.

Dieting doesn't work and I testing both carb cycling and keto. Couldn't adapt to either. Just having to work around family meals and it was boring. I'm a foody, love to cook and I just didn't enjoy either. I'll carb cyling on a race taper week but thats it. The intermittent fasting is different and seems to suit. I'm off chocolate and crap the last 4 weeks but if we bake at home then thats good. Easter Sunday will be a 4k kcals day but I'll try to keep the habit of 2 days at 16:8.

On the running. I have never had an problem running before breakfast. I can run up to 2 hours without a gel first thing. However I did 75 mins after the 4pm window yesterday and while I was fueled for it, I was hungry this morning. Overall I think it suits. I'll do 2-3 days and enjoy evening meals at the weekend. After Easter I'll keep it to 100-200 kcals max in the evening and then enjoy the days when I switch off :)

In terms of weight I am at a fighting 78.0 on the scale this morning. Down from 81 at the start of March. I'm curious to see if I can hit an all time low of 76.0.

BP 10K Plan Week 1

St Patricks Day
    Yoga with Adrienne "Breath" Day 10 - 27 mins
    8k @5:30

Easy laps inside the Mary I track after a couple of hours soccer with my Bro and all the kids. They joined me in parts for some laps which was fun :) Steak and cake later. Lovely day was had. It felt like a Sunday.

Thu 18 Mar
    Row 20 mins - 5,017m @1:59.9
    Calisthenics 34 mins
    15.16k @4:54 | HRR 63-71%

The plan called for an easy run and some cross training. The row was more than a warm up. Specific fitness. I was rowing fit last summer and sort of running fit now, thankfully :) The Cals was a class with 3x 1min on/off of each movement.
    Side lunges
    some dance sort of thing
    Burpees
    Russian twists - slow!
    Dead bugs
    Press ups
    Supermans

The run was after 4pm and my nutrition window. I was concious to keep it relaxed. Plenty fueled for it but unusual not to eat something immediately afterwards.

Fri 19 Mar
    16.01k including 20 min Tempo | HRR 82-88%
    Weight 78.0kg

I had DOMS in my hips and groins from the soccer. DOMs in my core from the S&C and DOMS in my lower back from the rowing machine. Still, gorgeous sunny spring day. 5k easy to warm up and loosen out. I unboxed a new pair of Adidas SL20 this week but went with the Endorphin Speeds for this one. The target Tempo pace was 3:47-3:54. I was looking forward to this. This time last year this was my all out 5k pace, today a tempo.

The first km was not great. It took a while to settle breathing and find a rhythm with cadence. 3:50 was bang on the pace though. There was a slight breeze each lap with a cooling effect as I got stuck in. The next few splits were 3:47, 3:44, 3:47, 3:48 mid Zone 4 and I went through 5k in 18:58 :eek:. Finished the 20 minutes on target pace, feeling good. It was a solid workout, although I have plenty more work to do to hold it for 10k. I did a couple of steady kms before backing off each km home. Really lovely running weather. The Garmin moved my VO2 Max to 60 which is the first time I've ever seen that :D It was 59 for the sub 3 and the 5k TT. That the "work" done for this week. The weekend will be easy running.

621/2,600 miles (998/4,200 km)
    1,448/10k press ups | 470/2k pull ups
    75/77 days active | 71 Run | 7 Row | 20 S&C | 14 Yoga/Pilates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Slow Russian twists are a unique form of torture, I can do high volume with a 8kg weight, no problemo, take away the weight, sit correctly and slow em down and I'm in a world of hurt!!

BP 10K Plan Week 1

Sat 20 Mar
    14.37k (9.93m) @5:24 (8:41) | HRR 53-60%

Lovely calm crisp dawn. Kept this very easy with a lid on Zone 1. A little fatigue and knees still sore from the midweek soccer.

Sun 21 Mar
    23.13k (14.38m) @4:34 (7:21) | HRR 67-77%
    Weight 77.7kg

Fasting start at 4pm so had to get this done this afternoon. The morning was spent out in the garden, doing garden stuff. Put on the Boston 7s for this. I hadn't worn them in ages and 400k+ on them and still good. Straight away felt great. The boost still felt like boost and the legs had energy. Practically calm again. Just felt good and relaxed. Splits were coming on 4:32-4:36 so went with it. Ran around the thronged city bridges in then out the packed river bank. Lots of weaving and dodging. Turned at the 5k limit and came back through UL and the riverbank again.

The highlight was diamond gaggle of geese flying low over the living bridge in UL. The low light was the blisters I picked up from my left foot smashing into the top of the shoe. The Boston 7 was one of my favourite shoes but perhaps time to let it go. I have the Boston 8 in a half size up. I'll use them up to an hour until they are done. Maintained the steady effort throughout but there were hills and drags and a breeze coming back to town. The last 6-7k was more work but the legs kept turning over and the breathing felt relaxed. The plan had an easy LR but the "easy" range is 4:36-5:04. I was on the quicker edge and marginally overcooked. No harm running as I feel, as long as I manage recovery. Tomorrow is all about that.

Total for the week: 102.1k in 8hrs09 & 2hrs of S&C/Yoga :)

644/2,600 miles (1,036/4,200 km)
    1,778/10k press ups | 470/2k pull ups
    78/80 days active | 73 Run | 7 Row | 20 S&C | 14 Yoga/Pilates

Nutrition Note

A while back, a log ago, ReeReeG gave me the idea for overnight oats. Big fans in the Shotgun house! Lots of varieties tried, berry's, mango and pineapple, apple and cinnamon, mint etc.. We have our favourites and the kids delight to find them in the fridge the next morning!

The Girls choice
    Berries & Banana

60g oats
    10-12 fresh blueberry
    5-6 fresh blackberries roughly bashed
    4-5 frozen strawberries chopped
    2g chia seeds
    100g Plain or Greek yoghurt (Liberte Plain our choice)
    120ml Coconut milk
    Mix it all in a bowl and garnish with chopped banana
    Serves 2 or one big 440 kcal serving

The Boys choice
    Chocolate Banana

60g oats
    2g chia seeds
    10g honey
    20g crunchy peanut butter (Meridian, nothing added)
    2 tsp cocoa
    3/4 banana mashed into gloop
    100g Plain or Greek yoghurt
    120ml Coconut milk
    Mix it all in a bowl. Garnish with chia seeds or banana slices. I like to sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top.
    590 kcal to share

Leave them sit in the fridge overnight and it turns yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm due to switch back from porridge to this as the mornings get warmer, and was in need of new combos after finally realising I'm allergic to berries!!

Yum! Likewise im due a switch back from porridge, I had a lovely layered recipe from The Happy Pear I must dig out but these look divine....

VO2Max of 60? Sub-17-min 5k can't be far off! :)

Garmin is generous to me - usually somewhere between 50-55. My race performances suggest 46-49 is more like it.

Im a big fan of the overnight oats. Usually go with raspberries blueberries and some mixed seeds with Greek yoghurt.
    Never tried the coconut milk in the mix, does it leave it very runny?
    I'll be shamelessly stealing that idea to use cocoa and honey though!

Im a big fan of the overnight oats. Usually go with raspberries blueberries and some mixed seeds with Greek yoghurt.
    Never tried the coconut milk in the mix, does it leave it very runny?
    I'll be shamelessly stealing that idea to use cocoa and honey though!
    Nope. Even for normal porridge we soak the oats in coconut milk overnight. In the morning I add a mashed banana, some whole fat milk and top up with hot water until its creamy.

For the overnight oats, it's just 100-120ml or so. The oats soak it up and give it a nice texture in the morning. The chia seeds also help the absorption.

Murph_D wrote: »
    VO2Max of 60? Sub-17-min 5k can't be far off! :)

Garmin is generous to me - usually somewhere between 50-55. My race performances suggest 46-49 is more like it.

Those Garmin race predictors are laughable! Apparently a VO2 Max of 60 gives you a 17:01 5k... ehhhh yeah.

It was 58 at the end of January when I did the 18:41 TT. That was 27 secs shy of a lifetime best.

Those Garmin race predictors are laughable! Apparently a VO2 Max of 60 gives you a 17:01 5k... ehhhh yeah.

It was 58 at the end of January when I did the 18:41 TT. That was 27 secs shy of a lifetime best.

Well the 17:01 comes from Jack Daniels, so considering he invented VO2Max, it must be based on something. Much more likely Garmin’s method is unreliable and the number is lower - your 5k time indicates 54 (at the time).

I did a proper VO2Max treadmill test as a research guinea pig. No fun at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It always predicts much faster race time than my actual PBs for me too. I see it more as an indicator of potential than an actual prediction.

Clearly garmin vo2 max is spot on, mine is 44, apparently I'm in the top 5% for my age and gender with a fitness age of 20 :cool: Who could argue with that?!!!

• Advertisement

Clearly garmin vo2 max is spot on, mine is 44, apparently I'm in the top 5% for my age and gender with a fitness age of 20 :cool: Who could argue with that?!!!

I hear the more expensive watches give even better numbers. I’ll have to upgrade!

Edit: this article suggests the Garmin method can be pretty reliable if it is based on accurate HR measurement and proper setup of HR zones (or ar least max), so that’s possibly what throws a lot of the numbers off (but not shotgun’s, I’d imagine, as he seems to track HR pretty reliably).

https://sites.udel.edu/coe-engex/2019/03/16/how-accurate-is-your-garmins-vo2max-estimate/

Advertisement