Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen extension costs??????

Options
  • 29-12-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am new to boards. We are thinking of getting a small extension on the back of the house, approx 25sqm. We are in dublin. Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of costs??? I thought prices might come down early next year and we could afford it then. Nothing fancy, new standard kitchen with small island, vinyl flooring, apex roof and a few spot lights. Our neighbour has an extension so there is already a wall in place on one side which I thought would help with cost. I have also heard that if paying by cash this makes things cheaper???Just want some extra space for the kids. Was also wondering about access to the property, we have a decent side entrance but would they need access to the rest of the house or the attic??? Any help would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Prices won’t drop.
    Material prices rising.

Budget €50k and then decide on getting details plans prepared for pricing.

I recently got a similar job in Dublin done. Budget between 50-60k. Prices are only going up. Not only are material prices rising but there's a huge demand for tradesmen and they're charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluenosedbear

Thanks for the advice guys, I was hoping more 40k-45k. I'll check with a few builders after this lockdown :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Hi Lads,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just to post my recent experience on an extension project.

Currently at PP phase. I have had an Architect design an extension of approx 45sqm. It is a side extension but will rap around from the front, extending the hall and moving the front door forward. It will go approx 5 meters past the end of the current house.

It will comprise of :
    1 bedroom @ 16sqm
    1 downstairs shower room with disabled access @ 5sqm
    1 utility room @ 3.5sqm
    1 en-suite bedroom @ 12 sqm. En-suite will be 3.5sqm

Builders finish is coming in @ 59K. Had a few quotes but I know this builder and he has done similar in the area.

I had one Engineer look for 10k to design and certify. Not sure he was interested in the job tbh.

Arch to design and apply for PP was 2.5k so a serious differ there.

I had one Engineer look for 10k to design and certify. Not sure he was interested in the job tbh.

Now you have to add on the cost of someone to prepare construction drawings, inspect and certify. I the serious difference won’t be as big once you price this add on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Gumbo wrote: »
    Now you have to add on the cost of someone to prepare construction drawings, inspect and certify. I the serious difference won’t be as big once you price this add on.

Yeh that's what I had thought too. I have been in contact with an Engineer and for certification he will charge 1200. Now it was a quick call so there might be more detail to discuss. He thinks that building costs could rise a little once he has had a meeting with the builder but not substantially.

Just to add my pricing doesn't include a composite front door or tiling the existing hall instead of laminate.

Also no structural work being done to existing house. We have an opening to the side already for a side door which will be used for access and a new door way will be added to the extended hallway .

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

I recently got a similar job in Dublin done. Budget between 50-60k. Prices are only going up. Not only are material prices rising but there's a huge demand for tradesmen and they're charging more.

Hi Mascher. If you could PM me any suggestions for builders/etc that be great. Starting to look for a similar job to be done. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Hi Lads,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just to post my recent experience on an extension project.

Currently at PP phase. I have had an Architect design an extension of approx 45sqm. It is a side extension but will rap around from the front, extending the hall and moving the front door forward. It will go approx 5 meters past the end of the current house.

It will comprise of :
    1 bedroom @ 16sqm
    1 downstairs shower room with disabled access @ 5sqm
    1 utility room @ 3.5sqm
    1 en-suite bedroom @ 12 sqm. En-suite will be 3.5sqm

Builders finish is coming in @ 59K. Had a few quotes but I know this builder and he has done similar in the area.

Do you kind me asking where your are? Looking at similar size here ourselves. Thank you.

starface wrote: »
    Do you kind me asking where your are? Looking at similar size here ourselves. Thank you.

Bear in mind the post you quoted is builders finish with no door etc

There’s probably 10-20k to be added to that price again it’s completely finished.
    I may be wrong but the poster hasn’t confirmed what their getting for “builders finish” other than it doesn’t include the composite door which is at least 2-3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

Hi, very interested in this thread.

I've been trying to get quotes for a single story back of house open plan extension on a 3 bed semi in Dublin. I am stunned by the prices I am being quoted. One was about €105k, another told me the smallest job he would ever do would be €110k. Another came back with 63k structural plus windows/doors plus skips and finish plus VAT.
    We're only talking about 24sqm here. Where are people getting quotes of €2k a sqm from? I'm being told €4 to €5k a sqm.

Considering the time and hassle and disruption, I might be better off moving!

None of the quotes included putting the kitchen back btw.

Confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

4-5k a square metre is nuts, buts there's enough suckers at present that'll pay it- let them at it. Government spending is keeping the whole building industry going at the mo, it can't last imo.
    I'd forget about it for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Just on the phone there to a mate who's doing a extension 22m2. And he was quoted 25k for this by a builder from a country. Doesn't smell right

• Registered Users Posts: 30 swai

Had 3 builders quote a 30sq meter open plan kitchen / dining extension single story flat roof in dublin.

2 quoted 100mm floor and ceiling insulation UPVC sliders etc 60k builders finish. Kitchen etc on top of that

1 quoted 150mm floor and ceiling insulation Aluclad 4. 2 x 2.4 sliders 2 x 2 x 1 meter roof lights around 70k builders finish.

Kitchens these days are around 10 to 15k. Got quartz worktops quoted at 2.4k.

What I've learned is don't just get builders to come and quote as each will offer different details like insulation doors, radiators etc.

Have a plan of what u want and tell them so they all quote the same thing.

swai wrote: »
    Had 3 builders quote a 30sq meter open plan kitchen / dining extension single story flat roof in dublin.

2 quoted 100mm floor and ceiling insulation UPVC sliders etc 60k builders finish. Kitchen etc on top of that

1 quoted 150mm floor and ceiling insulation Aluclad 4. 2 x 2.4 sliders 2 x 2 x 1 meter roof lights around 70k builders finish.

Kitchens these days are around 10 to 15k. Got quartz worktops quoted at 2.4k.

What I've learned is don't just get builders to come and quote as each will offer different details like insulation doors, radiators etc.

Have a plan of what u want and tell them so they all quote the same thing.

Could you PM me the details of those builders please? Just waiting on architects drawings and was going to send it around to a few to get prices direct.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

Those prices sound much more like it.

Is it a good idea to get an architect? I just assumed a flat roof extension could go straight to a builder

We were going to go straight with a builder but had a meeting with one architect who made some suggestions regarding layout which changed our plan completely.

We dont need planning but I thought it no harm to get sketches done at least and then we can decide if we get a QS involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 society

Advertisement