Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something nice about An Garda Siochana

• 29-12-2020 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Talk about the good cops rather than bad cops?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The guard that stopped me during the pandemic was so incredibly polite and pleasant to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Frontline AGS do a dangerous job often in very difficult circumstances with resources stretched to the limit and receive very little thanks for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've been stopped at 4 checkpoints during Covid. Two in Offaly, one in Killester and one on the M1 at Balbriggan.

Each of the Gardai I encountered was polite and friendly, and in each case we wished each other a "stay safe".

They're great at small talk....never know if they're bored and devoid of human contact or secretly interrogating me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Most of them don't have guns. That's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The gestapo is always the gestapo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

They're not as bad as covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Gave great support to a family I know that lost a son in an accident. Very kind both at the time of his death and his funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

They keep the cars clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The takeaways the guards go to are usually the best ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Frontline AGS do a dangerous job often in very difficult circumstances with resources stretched to the limit and receive very little thanks for it.

They get paid for it like any job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My son is a member of AGS he’s decent and hardworking plus loves his job. Actually believes it’s important.He’s in the job 3 years so cynicism hasn’t conquered him yet, I truly hope it doesn’t.

Great bunch of lads.

And sure they love kids and help the old folk Cross the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Got burgled last year and they were very nice when they came round. When our parked car got hit they found who did it and repairs etc didn't come from our insurance or our pocket as a result.

Not always the easiest particular guards to get hold of but I can't knock them at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's a local garda to me and she has a lovely bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Got arrested years ago for something really stupid on my part. Went back to the station the following evening to apologise. The cop was really sound and gave me the benefit of the doubt and didn't press charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Some great musicians in the garda band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

A cop stopped me at one of the checkpoints during the last lockdown. He apologized for stopping me but his sargeant had turned up so he had to look lively. I got a good laugh out of it!

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »

They don't call you psycho for nothing maybe the next time you see that bottom you should give it an auld smack. Sure if you can still use your hands when the guards are finished with you, you can let me know what hospital your in and I'll bring you up grapes. Oh sorry no visiting during covid. Anyway psycho that bottom is itching for a smack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I got pulled over by an undercover guard for going through a red light, he let me off with a warning no fine or penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I dont't blame them as the law and judges above them make their jobs as 'keepers of the peace' so damn hard.

Most are hard working good folk and it's a job I'd never dream of doing.

thunderdog wrote: »
    Some great musicians in the garda band

I actually met a retired member of the garda band while hiking in the Dublin mountains a few weeks ago, he told some brilliant stories, that it was suggested he should write a book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I got pulled over by an undercover guard for going through a red light, he let me off with a warning no fine or penalty points.

They are a lot sounder than the UK police where you wont be given a chance.
    Irish cops are a sound bunch, anyone who hates them is just a scumbag in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

PsychoPete wrote: »

Careful now they all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

We have no idea of the ****e that the gardai have to put up with, or the scum that they have to deal with every day. We get clips on social media that are only a drop in time of the ****e they put up with.
    Not for all the money in the world would I do their job.
    They put up and deal with the low life so we the law abiding people can stay safe .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They get paid for it like any job.

It's not like any job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Just ordinary people doing hard job . Ye there's a few a- holes in them but by and large any dealings with them they've been fine . Imagine having to deal with drunks , junkies , criminals everyday ...no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Restraint, de-escalation and actual policing are great.
    Crime clearance rates in Ireland are the envy of many others.

The professional aspect of the force has really improved massively over the last 20yrs.

There is a huge drive for cultural change and it is a slow process but it is happening.
    I spend a lot of time with members and with potential members and the drive to learn and to improve across the lower and middle ranks is huge.
    Those middle ranking members are slowly moving up the ladder and dragging that change with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Guard I dealt with on a very serious case involving a family member went above and beyond for us. He was my crutch and helped me get through it. I’ve had bad experiences with the guards in the past but this guy was unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They do a job i'm constitutionally incapable of doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They help people cross the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

I've always found them fine. As Ten said back the way, they do a difficult job in trying circumstances and are often under resourced.

Treat as you find. You get what you give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

gifted wrote: »
    We have no idea of the ****e that the gardai have to put up with, or the scum that they have to deal with every day. We get clips on social media that are only a drop in time of the ****e they put up with.
    Not for all the money in the world would I do their job.
    They put up and deal with the low life so we the law abiding people can stay safe .

There are some perks, would you not like arresting a burglar for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Kylta wrote: »
    They don't call you psycho for nothing maybe the next time you see that bottom you should give it an auld smack. Sure if you can still use your hands when the guards are finished with you, you can let me know what hospital your in and I'll bring you up grapes. Oh sorry no visiting during covid. Anyway psycho that bottom is itching for a smack

Next time I see her I hope she's wearing the cuffs on one hand and nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The Garda that dealt with the theft of my bike last year was a very nice guy and I would say that even if he didn't manage to find the perpetrator which he did, if not recover the bike. €300 cash was appreciated though which fully covered my losses. But the point is the Garda was a totally sound guy and didn't give off any 'superiority' vibes at all so really good experience all round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I got into a bit of trouble, back in 2005 (I was 32 at the time).

Had been told some bad personal news. Got very drunk, smashed a shop window and kicked in someone's BMW.
    Handcuffed, arrested, night in the cell.

The Garda was in touch with me over the next few days. Rang me at work, Lovely fella.
    He knew about the bad news of course.

Had to bring my dad in to sign a statement.
    I didn't want to let my dad know about the news, and the Garda helped me, kept my confidentiality, and basically wrote the statement for me in front of my dad.

Always appreciated that Garda.

Went back to the shop to apologise and pay for the window I broke.
    Never heard about the BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a sudden tragic death in the family last week.

Two guards attended the scene and they were amazing. Professional and caring, did all the right things.

Even before that I’ve never ever had a bad interaction with AGS members.

In the most if your a law abiding citizen and treat them with respect you will have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

banie01 wrote: »
    Restraint, de-escalation and actual policing are great.
    Crime clearance rates in Ireland are the envy of many others.

The professional aspect of the force has really improved massively over the last 20yrs.

There is a huge drive for cultural change and it is a slow process but it is happening.
    I spend a lot of time with members and with potential members and the drive to learn and to improve across the lower and middle ranks is huge.
    Those middle ranking members are slowly moving up the ladder and dragging that change with them.

Agree with everything else but the bolded bit is rubbish. Guards fob off a lot of crimes off and don't take them on so that skews these numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Mimon wrote: »
    Agree with everything else but the bolded bit is rubbish. Guards fob off a lot of crimes off and don't take them on so that skews these numbers.

OK, so which place is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Your comment is disgusting.

Decent ordinary people have nothing to worry about.
    Only scumbags don't like the guards.
    Or people raised in scumbag estates who have it drilled into them not to talk to the guards / socially conditioned to fear being labelled a rat.

My sister was saved by the guards/unmarked special branch from being raped by two immigrants, one legal the other illegal. Date rape drugs found in their flat later.

Only the criminal and morally bankrupt tend to have a poor view of the guards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Talk about the good cops rather than bad cops?

So embarrassing when an Irish person refers to the Gardaí as "cops"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know the cops are great in the area when there is a death and funeral to help with traffic.

I had a run in with a taxi driver a few years ago I had been in his car before and he accused me the whole way home on running off up a stairs and not paying in. (I am in a wheelchair). So this night I was a bit drunk got into his car and he starts again. Got to 10 feet away and said you know what pull over and stupidly tipped the wheel. He tried to charge me my whole fare and a bit more and I said you must be kidding and take me to the station. Anyway cop came out I was very bad and belligerent. He went how much is the fare took the amount off me give it to the cabbie and told him drop me off and that is the end. Do not take me again. He could have very well took me in for many reasons but saw sense and didn't

You have no idea what the gestapo is or like. We may have some bad cops but the Gardai and not even close to the gestapo

Or people raised in scumbag estates who have it drilled into them not to talk to the guards / socially conditioned to fear being labelled a rat.

My sister was saved by the guards/unmarked special branch from being raped by two immigrants, one legal the other illegal. Date rape drugs found in their flat later.

I'm regards to my comments, I'll say what I want, whether your disgusted or not, it's totally irrelevant to me what you think or anybody else for that matter!

In fairness we only hear of the bad lot mostly but even then I would not use gestapo. Some people think that the gardai have to earn there respect but the Gardai just have to give it

You have no idea what the gestapo is or like. We may have some bad cops but the Gardai and not even close to the gestapo

Have you any idea what the gestapo were like?

Have you any idea what the gestapo were like?

A lot more then you it seems

A 20 year old stranger male got fresh and snarky on the 7a Dublin Bus in late July after the first lock down Not wearing mask. I am male.
    I got off the bus.
    I flagged down a Garda car that was passing a minute later in same direction. Two gardaí. Took my report, and followed it up.

Thanks ��

• Advertisement
Advertisement