Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something nice about An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I like how they stay on top of the scumbags in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thunderdog wrote: »
    Some great musicians in the garda band

He’s retired now but a member of the Garda band was a music teacher of mine for about 7 years. Tremendously nice, hard working and MAJORLY talented guy.. retired recently from the force after going back to being a regular frontline beat Garda for a few years before retirement....he brought in a few colleagues to cover when he went on holidays who were all similarly good natured, nice people and excellent musicians..

I would imagine him to have been a good frontline Garda too as he had a good way of being very firm but being able to handle conflict with people, be it band members, parents and any setbacks in between...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Kylta wrote: »
    So lets maybe I know more about the guards than you do my dictator friend

From the criminal perspective or good citizen perspective?
    I had a neighbor who was a guard and two people in my college course became guards/detectives.
    On the other side, I've extended in-laws doing time for fueding gangs.

Still aside from a few bad eggs, the guards are there to protect society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

I was caught speeding today in Waterford on a road that looked like a motorway, the Garda let me off with a warning despite being caught doing 137km/h in a 100 km/h zone. Decent Garda.

The last time I was stopped in Cork, same thing happened....

Garda said to me then, that it would be better to arrive a little late in this life, than a little early to the next. Very decent Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

pgj2015 wrote: »

You see here is the problem, I never said i didn't like them, I passed comments that nobody liked, and some posters took offence (this lock down is really affecting some) But like every job there are good and bad people in it and the guards are no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

daithi7 wrote: »
    I was caught speeding today in Waterford on a road that looked like a motorway, the Garda let me off with a warning despite being caught doing 137km/h in a 100 km/h zone. Decent Garda.

The last time I was stopped in Cork, same thing happened....

Garda said to me then, that it would be better to arrive a little late in this life, than a little early to the next. Very decent Garda.

You were lucky. slow down, that is way too fast in a 100 km zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

Been chatted up more than a few times at checkpoints so great for an ego boost. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

TP_CM wrote: »
    First posts are all lovely jubbly and then I flick to the most recent post and suddenly The Gestapo comes out of nowhere. Standard.

Shower of **** sur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There's a local garda to me and she has a lovely bottom

If she has a nice bottom in that uniform it must be a sight to behold in normal attire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

They are fighting both criminals and the judiciary

Watching offenders strolling out of court after multiple suspended convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭BalboBiggins

It’s a job 95% of people wouldn’t do for 100 grand a year.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

It gives jobs to country folks and let's them live in the big smoke

An organization that turns their back to the country twice in 20 years in order to line their own pockets despite being far from badly paid.

A disgrace of an organisation where discipline is just lip service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

The Left and ACAB people will hate this thread. Great to p*ss off those malcontent misfits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

salonfire wrote: »
    An organization that turns their back to the country twice in 20 years in order to line their own pockets despite being far from badly paid.

A disgrace of an organisation where discipline is just lip service.

Say something nice about An Garda Siochana.

• Advertisement

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    The Left and ACAB people will hate this thread. Great to p*ss off those malcontent misfits

I personally think its a great little thread this one, I'm having loads of fun, good stuff this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

What's your definition of being well paid when guards are regularly attacked, have to put their lives on the line etc?

I've a cosy well paid office job earning multiple times their wages, there's a bit of guilt there for that.

There's other conditions like not living where they are stationed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

They are good at texting and driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

come on you boys in blue come on you boys in blue the best we,ve ever seen the boys in blue :D

Edgware wrote: »
    Cheap lager taking effect?

I personally don't drink. I suggest you try for better quality in your drink, sorry to here your a dip of a dipso, try seek out AA, and I might treat you with respect in the future. I suppose its not easy being a down and out, are you homeless too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

They're not all from Mayo so that's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

It’s a job 95% of people wouldn’t do for 100 grand a year.

I'd do it for 100k a year. I'd make a terrible guard though. If I could get to 3or4 years before getting booted out, sure I'd give it a bash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

there not all from dublin so thats even nicer......................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Two men were attacking another with a hammer in the street outside my flat once. I called the guards and the place was black with them in about two minutes. Not an easy scene to confront and control, but they did it in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 K.P. Egan

something nice about An Garda Siochana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Years ago, I was travelling from Dublin back home in a car I borrowed from my cousin. There was an oil spill at a set of lights, the brakes did almost nothing, and I slid into the towhook of the transit in front of me. There was a fair bit of damage to the car because of the hook, but the van was fine. The guy in the van was a Grade A pr*ck about it, roaring abuse at me, insisting on getting the gardai out, accusing me of speeding (even though I slowed down a few hundred metres before that to let him out of the petrol station) etc. He continued his torrent as I rang my boss to tell her I'd be late, and was still at it when the Gardai arrived.

At that point, I had gone into shock, from having the brakes not working when they should have, damaging a car that wasn't mine, and from yer man. I was shaking like crazy and could barely get a word out. A lovely garda took me away from the raving van driver, whilst her colleague was essentially telling him to cop on a bit as I heard him say "can you not see she has gone into shock?". They took the details of myself and the van driver and sent the van driver on his merry way. They both then made sure I got something sugary to drink and stayed with me until I stopped shaking and was in a fit state to continue driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    They are fighting both criminals and the judiciary

Watching offenders strolling out of court after multiple suspended convictions.

That from the outside looking in must be the hardest part of doing that job...

You see some wanker off his head on drugs, attack a person walking down the street randomly, leave them in a bloody heap, minus teeth and consciousness, try do the same to you and your colleague... sentenced to 2 years suspended, they , their friends and family, pissing themselves leaving the court....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread is getting derailed with petty arguments and trolling, it stops now. Back on topic or don't bother posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Your comment is disgusting.

Decent ordinary people have nothing to worry about.
    Only scumbags don't like the guards.
    Or people raised in scumbag estates who have it drilled into them not to talk to the guards / socially conditioned to fear being labelled a rat.

My sister was saved by the guards/unmarked special branch from being raped by two immigrants, one legal the other illegal. Date rape drugs found in their flat later.

Only the criminal and morally bankrupt tend to have a poor view of the guards.

those are pretty broad statements , there are pretty alarming incidence of corrupt practice within AGS this past two decades , two commissioners in succession were forced to resign due to involvement in the Garda Maurice Mc Cabe scandal

if you think everyone who has ever had issues with AGS are scumbags , you are a naive individual indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

Joking aside I am in my final year of law and I can honestly say I have never dealt with a more genuine and honest, funny and helpful profession in my life. Just stay on the right side of them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I work with Guards every day of the week and 99.9 percent of them are sound. Nobody would believe what they put up with in their line of duty. Very few would do their job.

Would love to see some of the brave keyboard warriors come into a Garda Station and see they kind of people they have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Most people calling them pigs etc are just pure cretins imo. This is by and large an extremely safe country and peace of mind at night time is incredibly important.

I used work in a ****ty minimum wage job in a shop and often dealt with people stealing, guards were always really helpful and took the matter out of my hands so I didn't have to put myself in any harms way or even worry about it. One in particular would speak me up to my boss for handling situations and it got me a raise. A guard pulled over my elderly aunt who had lost her sister that week and he spent a long time talking to her and settling her nerves.

I feel safe in cities, I feel safe at home. There are always "bad" spots one should avoid but I have rarely felt properly scared for my wellbeing. I've a friend in Dubai where police are a load of cowboys and he lives in constant fear of committing a minor misdemeanour or drawing attention to himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You were lucky. slow down, that is way too fast in a 100 km zone.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, that's just about moving

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I work with Guards every day of the week and 99.9 percent of them are sound. Nobody would believe what they put up with in their line of duty. Very few would do their job.

Would love to see some of the brave keyboard warriors come into a Garda Station and see they kind of people they have to deal with.

"Very few would do their job" - You should tell that to the thousands of applicants that apply every time there is a recruitment drive. It's almost like people really want a job that has very high pay for low skilled work with a huge pension upon extremely early retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I posted earlier in the thread that my son is a Guard. I was in the fire service, dealt with house fires, car crashes , pulled bodies out of rivers, removed suicide victims from trees and one from a railway bridge. Easy for me as I was dealijg with the dead. My son has had the heartache (no training can overcome this only experience and the what appears to be indifference but never really the case )of going to someone’s door and telling them a loved one won’t be coming home. Dealing with the living is tough, nothing to fear from the dead only give your respect. Anyway I’m bias it’s a crap job someone has to do it hence the pay, there are a few rotten eggs but thankfully the decent ones negates that small cohort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

I probably give out about GAA heads more than I do about the guards. There.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

In fairness we only hear of the bad lot mostly but even then I would not use gestapo. Some people think that the gardai have to earn there respect but the Gardai just have to give it

Have you never heard of 'The Heavy Gang'

purifol0 wrote: »
    "Very few would do their job" - You should tell that to the thousands of applicants that apply every time there is a recruitment drive. It's almost like people really want a job that has very high pay for low skilled work with a huge pension upon extremely early retirement.

Yeah...... sure that's exactly it.

Huge difference in applying for a job you have no practical experience of and actually doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I find them mostly helpful. It's like any other job. Some are good and some are less so. I think the younger ones are better cus the older generation often came across as arrogant. Of course the older generation were more likely to turn a blind eye to small stuff and that could be handy :D

You'd feel sorry for them dealing with drunks on a Saturday night, not to mind murderers. They'd have very difficult situations too like people committing suicide and telling families about deaths. It's not a job I'd be able to do. And in fairness, there would be anarchy without them.

• Advertisement

Huge difference in applying for a job you have no practical experience of and actually doing the job.

Everyone applies for a job they have no experience in at least once in their life.

Since 2015, they have gotten increases in rent allowance, annual leave allowance, parading allowance, shift allowances, increasing pension contributions threshold, a pay increase last January, a pay increase in October, pay increases coming next year.

And today moaning about some allowance at the GRA conference.

Who are the real thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Is it the guards

Is it the guards

Their strike stunt a few years ago should have been crushed.

For a police force to break the law once was unfortunate in 1998. For it to almost happen again a couple of years ago is sinister and disgraceful and a mockery of the oath they have taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    those are pretty broad statements , there are pretty alarming incidence of corrupt practice within AGS this past two decades , two commissioners in succession were forced to resign due to involvement in the Garda Maurice Mc Cabe scandal

if you think everyone who has ever had issues with AGS are scumbags , you are a naive individual indeed

In every line of work there are corrupt folk. often in command ..

That does not mean that the individuals at grass root levels, are not sound, supportive. As we are seeing here.

This applies, sadly, in most professions. Corrupt leadership is not the standard to judge the integrity and humanity of the Gardaí we encounter .

No one is writing about leadership but about actual encounters.

In all my years here in Ireland . many of them trading at street markets etc I have only once met a totally aggressive and nasty cop. And that was as I was aware because of a local conflict I was embroiled in that involved his pals.

My first real encounter with a Garda.. I was driving through Donegal to Sligo for a Farmers Market.

And got pulled over... HATE that !

He said my rear fog light was on and " cutting him in the eye. " I had no idea I had one as the car was failrly new to me.

He kindly reached in and turned it off

And saw the trays of jams I was carrying.

When I explained what I was doing ( the market work was for charity) he bought several jars at a higher price than asked.

Told me his name and from then on kept a weather eye on the work at markets etc,

As other Gardaí did at various times. in other places. Even when there was nothing they could actually do.
    They have always been a part of the structure of life. always supportive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Can't think of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

I was in a car accident a number of years ago when a JCB pulled out in front of me. I dislocated a couple of my toes but had no idea at the time. An off duty bean garda assisted me until the ambulance arrived and wrapped her jacket around my foot. I've no idea what station she was in but I handed her jacket into the local station as soon as I got out of hospital. Hope she got it back

Everyone applies for a job they have no experience in at least once in their life.

Since 2015, they have gotten increases in rent allowance, annual leave allowance, parading allowance, shift allowances, increasing pension contributions threshold, a pay increase last January, a pay increase in October, pay increases coming next year.

And today moaning about some allowance at the GRA conference.

Have you applied yourself seeing as it sounds so attractive?

Exactly so. Wondering what the fallout rate is during early training? Or if they have become skilled at selection procedures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

raclle wrote: »
    I was in a car accident a number of years ago when a JCB pulled out in front of me. I dislocated a couple of my toes but had no idea at the time. An off duty bean garda assisted me until the ambulance arrived and wrapped her jacket around my foot. I've no idea what station she was in but I handed her jacket into the local station as soon as I got out of hospital. Hope she got it back

Any amount of regular citizens would do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Any amount of regular citizens would do the same

And probably video you too for posterity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement