Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A5 window issue

Options
  • 29-12-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

The window of my (2010) A5 doesn't close properly (the regulator was replaced a few months ago). It just doesn't pop in quite correctly or pop up enough. I've had it at the mechanics a couple of times but it's not right. It's annoying because it whistles when I drive.

Any ideas of where I could get this fixed properly, like would a windscreen and glass crowd do that kind of thing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wonder if switch needs resetting? lift switch till window goes fully up,push down for window to go fully down.Try it a few times and see.

Also check window is going straight up and not skew ways.

Sometimes dry silicone lube might need to be sprayed into the runner channels.

Is your car having a solid roof and not a cabriolet where window drops when handle is opened

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

greasepalm wrote: »
    Wonder if switch needs resetting? lift switch till window goes fully up,push down for window to go fully down.Try it a few times and see.

Also check window is going straight up and not skew ways.

Sometimes dry silicone lube might need to be sprayed into the runner channels.

Is your car having a solid roof and not a cabriolet where window drops when handle is opened

I've tried that with the switch, no good unfortunately.

It has a solid roof but the window does drop when the handle is opened. When the door closes the windows pop up about 2cm, and the one that's not working doesn't pop in fully. It's not going straight up and is out a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Seems to be a common theme with every pillarless doored VW ever.

I would start with the above. Ignition on, press the window switch down and hold it down for 10 seconds after the window reaches the bottom, then hold the window switch up and keep it up for 10 seconds after the window reaches the top.

Seems to be a common theme with every pillarless doored VW ever.

I would start with the above. Ignition on, press the window switch down and hold it down for 10 seconds after the window reaches the bottom, then hold the window switch up and keep it up for 10 seconds after the window reaches the top.

The window is actually misaligned, it's about a half a cm out from from the door when the door is closed. To close it from the outside you need to push it in towards the driver's seat as opposed to up.
    Seems to be a common theme with every pillarless doored VW ever. .
    yeah :( dreading when the other door decides to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wonder if thats the adjustable top frame one one with shims that alter the angle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive an A5 and have replaced both window regs. Mine is a coupe so just the 2 front windows to fail.
    Id guess you have 2 possible issues.
    Firstly, some of the aftermarket regulators are poor. I fitted one genuine and one aftermarket. The aftermarket one had a weaker spring withing the cable mechanism. This unforeseen spring movement took up most of the 1cm or so programmed in movement when you close the door meaning the motor moved but the glass only barely moved.
    The second problem is workmanship. There are adjusting screws built into regulator to allow alignment of glass be pushed in and out.
    I cant exactly remember but there are 4 rubber grommets on the door - 2 exposed at all times at base of door and 2 behind door card i think. Behind some of these are adjustment screws.
    Also, the glass itself needs to be correctly set into regulator. I ran marking tape on my glass marking top of door before loosening to allow it be put back correctly.
    Get someone else to redo it. Its not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

You can fix the whistling by adjusting using a long Allen key. There are rubber grommets on underside of door at front and back of door. Twisting these clockwise raises the window and will resolve the whistling. You will probably need 3 or more full turns of the screw to move them up a mm or two. Window should be fully down when doing this - otherwise the screw cannot be reached.

This will probably only work if an Audi OEM regulator was fitted and not the cheap aftermarket version.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I am not sure if this will fix the misalignment though but worth a try.

As Mick says, if this is not an OEM regulator then it may never be quite perfect.

FYI - I just fixed mine for the third time last week. A massive common fault on every old A5.

Kace wrote: »
    You can fix the whistling by adjusting using a long Allen key. There are rubber grommets on underside of door at front and back of door. Twisting these clockwise raises the window and will resolve the whistling. You will probably need 3 or more full turns of the screw to move them up a mm or two. Window should be fully down when doing this - otherwise the screw cannot be reached.

This will probably only work if an Audi OEM regulator was fitted and not the cheap aftermarket version.

Thanks Kace, I actually tried this before, and bought the longest allen key I could find (I think it was the 5mm of this one: https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Oxford-Long-Handle-Allen-Key/m-19666.aspx ) but I couldn't reach the screws.

I did not think of putting the window down though, so I'll give that a go thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

emerfan wrote: »
    Thanks Kace, I actually tried this before, and bought the longest allen key I could find (I think it was the 5mm of this one: https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Oxford-Long-Handle-Allen-Key/m-19666.aspx ) but I couldn't reach the screws.

I did not think of putting the window down though, so I'll give that a go thanks for the tip

You need to buy a genuine window reg. with a pillarless car for defo as the alignment has to be spot on for the seal to be correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement