Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thorny hedges

Options
  • 29-12-2020 10:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

I'm looking for a fast growing, hardy security hedge that is good for biodiversity. Can anyone recommend something appropriate? Looking for a source near dungarvan in Waterford.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Pyracantha is very thorny, flowers for bees in spring and beautiful berries in autumn. Not sure how fast it grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

If you want thorns then Hawthorn is perfect. Damn thing has thorns like nails. Flowers when mature too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 patrafter7

Thanks guys. Looking for good density all year round for privacy too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed on the hawthorn. It is not evergreen so it will lose its leaves in winter but if it is well grown and especially if it is laid (the main stem is partially cut ad the top of the shrub bent over to one side all along so that it becomes an impenetrable hedge - check out Youtube videos - Laying a hawthorn hedge) it will be thick enough to provide privacy even in winter. You HAVE to cut it as it is growing, don't try and wait until it is the height you want before cutting.

Laid hawthorn hedges used to be used to keep stock from breaking through so a properly grown one will keep anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hawthorn is also sometimes called Whitethorn, not to be confused with Blackthorn. You would be looking for Crataegus. There are numerous places selling it but you would be better to google it and see what prices are being charged - Carewswood at Castlemartyr has them for €1.50 for 60-90cm trees, this is quite small but it depends how many you need and what your budget is. Hedging.ie has them for €55 for 100. (I've been checking out hedging myself) You could get bigger, though most people suggest that smaller ones have a better chance of establishing quickly and they will catch up faster.

You would want to be ordering fairly soon for bare root trees, they tend to get sold out before the end of the season, and this year is all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Before you plant, give some thought on how you are going to maintain it.

Grand if you're going to let it grow wild, but both hawthorn and pyracantha are a nightmare to prune and to dispose of the clippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think pyracantha and hawthorn are good suggestions but would like to add Holly as another option with prickly leaves that are evergreen and can have some berries that are good for feeding wildlife in winter. Here is a link to price list of a supplier in Fermoy which is the closest nursery I know to Dungarvan.
    Happy gardening!

Advertisement