Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient graphics card - replacement suggestions please

Options
  • 29-12-2020 11:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have an ATI Radeon 4800 series card, which is starting to act up a bit.

Bit by bit the rest of the PC has been upgraded, would appreciate suggestions as to a replacement card that will fit into the same slot (and power connection).

PC used for general use, no gaming. Word, surfing the net, sometimes watching videos.

I know I don't really need anything super-duper but would appreciate guidance.

**edit

Processor i5-3350 P CPU @ 3.10GHz
    RAM 16GB
    Motherboard Asustek P8H77-M LE
    Windows 10

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I honestly never thought of that. I will pull it out and see what happens. Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Graphics card came out ok. Connected monitor to vga output. PC starts and I get the one long three short beeps and nothing outputting to monitor.

Is there something I should press on the motherboard to tell it I want to use integrated graphics? It seems to look for the card I removed, not find it and throw a wobbler.

**edit (talking to myself)
    Maybe there is a setting in the bios....

I will put the card back and see can I get into the bios before it cuts off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Quick google tells me the i5 3550P has no integrated graphics.

Jacovs wrote:
    Quick google tells me the i5 3550P has no integrated graphics.

Aargh.

Ok so I will have to get another card I guess. They all seem horrendous prices. Would I be taking a silly chance going used? I see some on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers using DDU?
    Or maybe just consider a fresh install of Windows.

• Advertisement

The Radeon 4850 is definitely failing, so I'm not sure drivers or windows would help me. I might try a refurbished old card. Not worth it for my usage to get anything fancy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would imagine you're looking at cards you don't really need.

A new GT710 is what, £30? Would do fine.

2nd hand you would probably get something for about half that, that'd work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd replace the cpu with one with integrated graphics. Shouldn't set you back more than a score, the sell on the working CPU.

To tide you over I've a celeron you can have if needed.

Thanks all for the offers and help. I think I have a second hand one sorted for this evening.

Advertisement