Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything that can be done about non-maskers in Limerick?

• 29-12-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Noticed quite a few non-maskers around the place and had a chat with the security guard in Tesco Coonagh last night - says is really fed up of a certain 'type' who just walk past him and ignore him (I can't say which minority sorry but are all over the Limerick news the past week). I got a bit annoyed because said groups blocking aisles chatting and some with no masks.

I'm wondering if they can do anything about it, if it goes to a Level 5 lockdown can the guards enforce it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We are already in Level 5. And it's already illegal not to wear a face covering indoors, regardless of the level.
    It does need Garda enforcement though, as security staff don't have the authority (and probably aren't paid enough) to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Businesses should just refuse service. No mask, no sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Noticed quite a few non-maskers around the place and had a chat with the security guard in Tesco Coonagh last night - says is really fed up of a certain 'type' who just walk past him and ignore him (I can't say which minority sorry but are all over the Limerick news the past week). I got a bit annoyed because said groups blocking aisles chatting and some with no masks.

I'm wondering if they can do anything about it, if it goes to a Level 5 lockdown can the guards enforce it?

This thread will more than likely be closed down shortly.
    And prepare yourself for a probable ban for the crime of merely bringing up this subject.
    If we cannot call out the outrageous behaviour of certain groups of people during a so call 'Global Pandemic' then what hope do we have as a Nation going forward.
    Worrying times indeed..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There was an anti mask protest in the city last Saturday, about 15-20 people all huddled together spreading the virus and a fella on a megaphone spouting lies... If there was anything to be done it would have been done then but the cops were just standing by watching

There was an anti mask protest in the city last Saturday, about 15-20 people all huddled together spreading the virus and a fella on a megaphone spouting lies... If there was anything to be done it would have been done then but the cops were just standing by watching

I saw it. Can't agree that they were 'huddled together' though.
    It was an open air event anyway and as far as I know there is no Government recommendation that these events cannot take place. Maybe they 'advise' against them.
    BTW what lies was the dude on the megaphone spouting.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

washman3 wrote: »
    It was an open air event anyway and as far as I know there is no Government recommendation that these events cannot take place. Maybe they 'advise' against them.

When I walked through they were saying that masks spread disease. Which frankly is complete bullcrap. I didn't stick around to hear anything else.

It's all recommendations though but if a pub served a pint without a €9 meal they'd be in trouble with the cops, yet this event was just watched on by those same defenders of the peace...
    source wrote: »
    When I walked through they were saying that masks spread disease. Which frankly is complete bullcrap. I didn't stick around to hear anything else.

Yes, that and I also overheard that RTE are fake news, the virus isn't real and the vaccine is a ruse by the government to mind control us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It's all recommendations though but if a pub served a pint without a €9 meal they'd be in trouble with the cops, yet this event was just watched on by those same defenders of the peace...

Yes, that and I also overheard that RTE are fake news, the virus isn't real and the vaccine is a ruse by the government to mind control us

I'm bloody glad I kept walking then. I don't think I'd have been able to keep my temper in check if I hadn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

No mask, no service, but still how would you stop them from going into the shop? e.g. Tesco, or the shopping centre, how would you stop large numbers of people just walking around without a mask? No mask, no service would be the best solution for now.

source wrote: »
    I'm bloody glad I kept walking then. I don't think I'd have been able to keep my temper in check if I hadn't.

I hear you... At one point it looked like the cops were trying to move on the people who were wearing masks, I don't want to believe that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

And prepare yourself for a probable ban for the crime of merely bringing up this subject.
    If we cannot call out the outrageous behaviour of certain groups of people during a so call 'Global Pandemic' then what hope do we have as a Nation going forward.
    Hear, hear. I think professional footballers typify that irresponsible kind of cohort you refer to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Security guy and male cashier without masks almost kissing themselves in Boots, William Street this late afternoon.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Hear, hear. I think professional footballers typify that irresponsible kind of cohort you refer to.

Nobody will be lambasted or banned around here for calling out the behaviour of a professional footballer, and rightly so.
    But the same rules should apply to all sections of society.!!
    'We are all in this together' remember that slogan...;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

We are already in Level 5. And it's already illegal not to wear a face covering indoors, regardless of the level.
    It does need Garda enforcement though, as security staff don't have the authority (and probably aren't paid enough) to deal with it.

So would i be within my rights to phone the Garda to report someone walking around Tesco with no mask on (can't believe I'm typing this haha!)

I've a funny feeling the guards would laugh me off the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

Yes, on quite a few occasions I have noticed threads being deleted or closed if there is any mention of real issues, such as racism or any inference of a counter argument to newly popular ideas such as BLM. In fact, I believe boards.ie to be under a communist spell - censorship.ie more like! Does it really represent the views of Irish people? Millennials may be, but not people who grew up in the country pre Celtic Tiger era.

That's me probably getting a life ban now :rolleyes:

Yes, on quite a few occasions I have noticed threads being deleted or closed if there is any mention of real issues, such as racism or any inference of a counter argument to newly popular ideas such as BLM. In fact, I believe boards.ie to be under a communist spell - censorship.ie more like! Does it really represent the views of Irish people? Millennials may be, but not people who grew up in the country pre Celtic Tiger era.

That's me probably getting a life ban now :rolleyes:

Bye, Bye, nice having you for a little while anyway....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

So would i be within my rights to phone the Garda to report someone walking around Tesco with no mask on (can't believe I'm typing this haha!)

I've a funny feeling the guards would laugh me off the phone

You would be within your rights. Getting assistance for your complaint would be another matter altogether.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There should be a blanket ban on entry in to shops if you're not wearing a mask. If I dropped trousers and waddled in with my pants around my ankles, I'd probably be asked to leave.

If they do have some form of Medical condition that prohibits the use of a mask, then they can ring in their order, and collect outside. Private premises, and management reserve the right of admission.

MarkR wrote: »

If they do have some form of Medical condition that prohibits the use of a mask,

If somebody has such a medical condition they should be cocooning I'd think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Can you prove what they were saying is lies?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hahaha, GT you crack me up

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm playing the devil's advocate. They would have to have a condition, and be unable to shop online. Also would require no friends or family able to shop for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Cocooning is advisory not mandatory. If someone isn't cooconing that is advised to that's none of anyone's business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

One funny aspect of all this (funny peculiar) is how people, even powerful and otherwise intelligent people, demand haughtily evidence if a view is presented that is not to their liking and yet the evidence is never required when it is unavailable for views that suit them.

For example - a conspiracy theory that the virus is a political hoax to rearrange the economy: no evidence. So logically one is slow to accept.

However - not wearing a mask in shops or playing/tennis/golf spreads Covid: no evidence. But it sounds right so they go with it as policy. Really it is the abandonment of evidence-based policy and driven by fear.

There have been other periods in recent history like this so I can't claim it is new, but we don't look back on those periods with any pride nowadays e.g. McCarthyism in the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Fairly sure the WHO, CDC and a few others proved not wearing masks spreads Covid.

Anyone choosing not to wear a mask is just a selfish moron except obviously for people with valid health reasons like intellectual disabilities, Dementia etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

For me (I've not read every article) mask wearing (in situations where people are in close proximity) is like wearing a seat belt in a car accident, not 100% fullproof, but a damnsight safer than not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Granadino wrote: »
    No mask, no service, but still how would you stop them from going into the shop? e.g. Tesco, or the shopping centre, how would you stop large numbers of people just walking around without a mask? No mask, no service would be the best solution for now.

if they already in Shop and at checkout ,, can you imagine being the poor checkout person having to deal with them and refuse to serve them .. honestly would you be able to handle the abuse stress... as far as I know garda are the only people who can stop you and enforce this

kilburn wrote: »
    Fairly sure the WHO, CDC and a few others proved not wearing masks spreads Covid.

Anyone choosing not to wear a mask is just a selfish moron except obviously for people with valid health reasons like intellectual disabilities, Dementia etc

I wouldn't have your strong opinions on masks. I just see it as an inconvenience that I'll be happy to see the back of.

What I don't see is evidence of spread in supermarkets (or any other retail establishment involving brief and passing contact) through not wearing masks. That is the part that is missing, in an Irish context anyway. It is another instance of placing our tanks where the war isn't, so as to be seen to be doing something in lieu of inaction to combat hospital and care home spread. Politics and optics in other words.

The_Dave wrote: »
    For me (I've not read every article) mask wearing (in situations where people are in close proximity) is like wearing a seat belt in a car accident, not 100% fullproof, but a damnsight safer than not

How about wearing a hard hat then being mandatory when passing building sites on the footpath? We could go crazy making things mandatory if the only argument required is simply a purported marginal increase in safety and reduction of risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

topper75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have your strong opinions on masks. I just see it as an inconvenience that I'll be happy to see the back of.

What I don't see is evidence of spread in supermarkets (or any other retail establishment involving brief and passing contact) through not wearing masks. That is the part that is missing, in an Irish context anyway. It is another instance of placing our tanks where the war isn't, so as to be seen to be doing something in lieu of inaction to combat hospital and care home spread. Politics and optics in other words.
    Where do you think community transmission is coming from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement