Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicians paid mileage for attending virtual meetings from their homes

Options
  • 29-12-2020 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/politicians-paid-mileage-for-attending-virtual-meetings-from-their-homes-39908880.html
    Politicians are being paid mileage to attend virtual meetings at home, it has emerged. Councillors from across all parties on some councils are getting
    expenses, as normal, despite the Covid-19 restrictions.

And the controversy over the failure to pay student nurses and a forthcoming vote on a public sector pay deal has resulted in the delay of a
    substantial pay rise for councillors.

A councillor has complained to the Department of Housing that local authorities across the country are “paying mileage to elected members for
    journeys that are simply not being made”.

Our political system is beyond disgusting but how are there no regulations to prevent this sort of nonsense?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

4rz31u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/politicians-paid-mileage-for-attending-virtual-meetings-from-their-homes-39908880.html

Our political system is beyond disgusting but how are there no regulations to prevent this sort of nonsense?

Is there a list?

Looks like no one wants to come out and play, can we assume that they are all at it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is there a list?

I don't know. I imagine they are all at it. The likes of Dara Murphy (FG) showed you could get away with it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a small caveat.

That article is a bit light on detail.

In my experience travel expenses can only be paid when a journey is claimed for.

The claimant has to sign off that a journey was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gdpr was brought in to help hide all this....

That’s simply not true.

elperello wrote: »
    Just a small caveat.

In my experience travel expenses can only be paid when a journey is claimed for.

So if they've signed they're toast?

It's not to say that false claims can't be made and paid but if they are making them for journeys that never existed then it's a whole new level.

If it can be proved yes.

In this case it seems fairly easy to prove.

Just thinking that they may have made some deal to cover the lockdown period that we don't know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This ****er was reelected

https://youtu.be/zpko_hXWb7Q

So I'd not hold my breath

This ****er was reelected

https://youtu.be/zpko_hXWb7Q

So I'd not hold my breath

In fairness that was different sort of case.

Fraud is much more clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s simply not true.

Gdpr is a front for hiding all monies in many forms.
    Check it out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Gdpr is a front for hiding all monies in many forms.
    Check it out for yourself.

FOI was brought in so we’d all know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I feel like this news comes up every year , some sort of td getting travel expenses but not traveling

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    FOI was brought in so we’d all know about it.

FOI was hamstrung by Enda Kenny and is widely (and safely) ignored by civil servants

Here's a fantastic podcast on what its like to actually try and get "smoking gun" info from the Dept Education and also from RTÉ

https://blog.hereshow.ie/2020/10/heres-how-113-unfree-information/

Not getting any traction, all councillors on the make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Isn't this the entire point of the political system? Chancers and psychopaths becoming politicians so they can feast themselves on as much expenses, opportunities and power without crossing a line and going to prison? I'm not sure why we expect better. It's like being confused a person who wants to join the mafia turns out to be a violent scumbag.

I don't know what the solution is.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Isn't this the entire point of the political system? Chancers and psychopaths becoming politicians so they can feast themselves on as much expenses, opportunities and power without crossing a line and going to prison? I'm not sure why we expect better. It's like being confused a person who wants to join the mafia turns out to be a violent scumbag.

I don't know what the solution is.

Its theft, court reports full of people being charged with shoplifting so why arent we dragging these thieving ba####ds before the courts?

There’s a bit more detail here.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/theres-no-such-thing-as-virtual-mileage-tds-anger-at-councillors-receiving-travel-expenses-39912595.html
    It’s not as bad as OP would like us to believe.

“ Some councillors have waived the payments, including Fingal Council Independent Jimmy Guerin who said: “You can’t justify paying mileage to go from the kitchen to the study for a virtual meeting.”

Minister Mr O’Brien said: “It’s up to each council to look at how they remunerate their councillors.

“It’s quite a meagre remuneration if I might say. It’s about €17,000 a year.

“It’s then up to each council to ensure that they work within the scheme that is set forth by the department.”

He said while meetings are held virtually, he knew of councillors who are ‘attending’ on a virtual basis the meetings from their own county offices because they don’t have the facilities to do so at home.”

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/theres-no-such-thing-as-virtual-mileage-tds-anger-at-councillors-receiving-travel-expenses-39912595.html

“ Some councillors have waived the payments, including Fingal Council Independent Jimmy Guerin who said: “You can’t justify paying mileage to go from the kitchen to the study for a virtual meeting.”

Minister Mr O’Brien said: “It’s up to each council to look at how they remunerate their councillors.

“It’s then up to each council to ensure that they work within the scheme that is set forth by the department.”

He said while meetings are held virtually, he knew of councillors who are ‘attending’ on a virtual basis the meetings from their own county offices because they don’t have the facilities to do so at home.”
    Very few without Wifi anymore, name,shame, sack and jail, no excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I'm assuming that SF weren't getting this payment, due to the lack of FFG outrage.

Very few without Wifi anymore, name,shame, sack and jail, no excuses

If guilty, yes. But, let’s have more than one mans gripe before whose sale executions.

Normal One wrote: »
    I'm assuming that SF weren't getting this payment, due to the lack of FFG outrage.

I'd say their all at it, that's the reason for the silence, Blanch and the Bish muzzled ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just a small caveat.

Some places have a base travel payment which can be topped up depending on distance etc. No idea if that's how they work.
    How did that Callely lad try it? Maybe they put down milage they didn't travel?

You are the only one putting a spin on it here. You don't know his/her intent. Relax it might be Paul Murphy or Shinners.
    Some councilors are charging travel expenses for zoom calls. Thats confirmed by your post.
    'Why' is up for debate. What councilor doesn't have the internet or a webcam or a smart phone and also feels the need to charge the tax payer milage to use someone else's....sounds legit.

17,000 a year for telling lies, meager? :rolleyes:

Bowie wrote: »
    You are the only one putting a spin on it here. You don't know his/her intent. Relax it might be Paul Murphy or Shinners.
    Some councilors are charging travel expenses for zoom calls. Thats confirmed by your post.
    'Why' is up for debate. What councilor doesn't have the internet or a webcam and also feels the need to charge the tax payer milage to use someone else's....sounds legit.
    The "meagre remuneration " works out the same as the PUP, is the minster saying he's upping the payment?

Bowie wrote: »
    Some places have a base travel payment which can be topped up depending on distance etc. No idea if that's how they work.
    How did that Callely lad try it? Maybe they put down milage they didn't travel?

Like I said last night we don't know the whole story yet but it doesn't look good.

They have always claimed for journeys they did not make but this is different in that there was no location of a meeting to travel to.

Poor broadband is a problem in some rural areas which might be a justification for some.

O'Brien's casual dismissal of €17k pa for a part time job may come back to bite him.

The "meagre remuneration " works out the same as the PUP, is the minster saying he's upping the payment?

Its disgusting if true. I don't care the party.

• Advertisement

Just a small caveat.

Some folk claim unvouched expenses iirc.

Advertisement