Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on renting near Heuston, Kilmainham, Inchicore, Chapelizod?

Options
  • 30-12-2020 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm moving up to Dublin with my partner next month :D I'm starting a job in Park West (about 15 mins walk from Kylemore luas stop).
    We're both working remotely for the coming months (covid dependent) so we need a 2 bedroom place ideally.

In general, what are Kilmainham, Chapelizod & Inchicore like as areas to live in?

Does anyone have experience living in service apartment blocks such as Clancy quay or Heuston South Quater?
    The apartments look lovely, but bloomin' pricey.

As I don't drive fully yet, I love the idea that I could walk to work from Inchicore or Chapelizod (so I'm drawn to them)
    but I want to be in an area that is well linked to town, feels safe, has a bit of a community feel,
    somewhere with a nice walk (not just a busy road!), good amenities, a decent local pub, bit of a buzz etc.

Basically, I don't want to just work, eat and sleep.

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions on these areas (or others!) from you :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Kilnainham is a great place to live.
    Closest to town.has luas and bus frequent.15 mins walk to heuston.has plenty of parks 5 mins away.quiet also.
    Good luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I live in Kilmainham and work in Inchicore.

Kilmainham, Chapelizod and Island Bridge are nice. Inchicore is pleasant from the village to Kilmainham Gaol. I wouldn't like to live beside Goldenbridge Luas stop or Blackhorse Luas. Gangs of young kids and teenagers roam about in the evening.

The Patriot and Royal Oak are good pubs. There are some shops in Kilmainham village and Inchicore village but not much to do in the evening.

Smithfield and Stoneybatter are on the same LUAS line. More of a city buzz in these areas.

Chapelizod has a small-town feel and would generally be very safe. Lived there for a while and had our licence plates stolen off our car one night but otherwise no trouble. There's an entrance to the phoenix park right by the centre of the village, or if you're on the south side of the river there's also a lovely walk/bike track all along the river down as far as the memorial gardens which exits right onto Clancy Quay apts. There's rowers on the river there all the time which is nice. For the size of the village you have your pick of pubs, there are three each with a different vibe depending on what you're into.
    BUT if you were working in town I'd advise against living there. I realise you're not, but just so you're aware, when I lived there a couple years ago it was an absolute nightmare trying to get the bus into town in the morning. The buses are frequent, but they're all coming from Leixlip/Maynooth and by the time they're in Chapelizod they're packed to the brim. I also don't think I'd describe Chapelizod as having 'a bit of a buzz', but you're going to have to make a trade off between that and a safe community feel anyway.

Kilmainham is nice and well served by buses into town, but on a weekday morning a lot of them will have the same issue as Chapelizod as they're on the same routes bar the 69. You do have the added option of walking down to the luas though. IMMA is in Kilmainham which has lovely gardens for a short walk or a sit-down. There's also a lovely organic shop in Kilmainham. I know a fair few people who live in Kilmainham but we've never gone for pints around there. I know it has pubs but I wouldn't see it as somewhere to stop for a pint.

Clancy quay apartments are lovely, I have a friend who lives there and they're great. Most of them are kind of in off the road so you don't feel like you're living on a main road. For some reason takeaway delivery drivers always stop out on the road though so you've a bit of a walk when you order out, which would annoy me. There's a security office and most of the tenants would be young professionals so it's a fairly safe area. There's a gym included in the rent which is nice. Walk wise you're right by another entrance to phoenix park and you have the memorial gardens across the road.

I've been in the HSQ apartments too and they're similar quality, very nice. They also have an entrance down in the Supervalu car park so you can go straight from the apartments to the supermarket without having to go out, which is lovely when the weather's bad. They're right by IMMA too but otherwise I wouldn't say it's a great spot for walks, and there's no local pub I'd know of. You'd have the advantage of all the shops inside Heuston though, which includes a bar. You can always walk around to Parkgate St. which is on the opposite side of Heuston, where there are few pubs and (if you're ever looking for a nice date) an FX Buckley's. There's also Romayos which is a reliable chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

I'm from Kilmainham & live in inchicore so think I can say the above posts are fairly spot on.

Chapelizod is lovely too if a tad isolated & bad for traffic at knocmaroon hill- I mean PITA bad, would actually put me off living there.

All are within reason walkable to Park west - what would be great for you if you were comfortable to cycle.

Just be aware two months might go fairly quickly & you might get rushed into a decision that you will have to live with for the length of the lease.

You might also look at other options like Drimnagh & indeed parkwest its self.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I've lived in Inchicore for three years. The walking we have is great you are very close to the war memorial, phoenix park, Royal Hospital and the canal.

Lived in Heuston south quarter before, those apartments I believe are much bigger than those in Clancy quay and better connected with the Luas at Heuston station. I would agree with the above poster Golden Bridge Luas stop, and to a lesser extent Blackhorse I would be cautious and a visit in the evening might be eye-opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

As other posters have mentioned re Goldenbridge Luas stop above ... I'm living here a couple of years and love the area most of the time, BUT my car has been broken into four times over the past year. It's only an old banger, but window replacements are still expensive. (They never got anything of value as I leave nothing in it.) I've had smashed mirrors and broken lights etc too, just pure random vandalism. If you can find somewhere with private parking, it's a big plus!! Where I am, our parking spaces are right out on a public road, nothing to stop anyone getting at the cars.

Lots of drug dealing going on right out in the open too, for whatever reason its a popular meeting spot. I guess as it's handy for town and Tallaght etc, if people are coming from different directions.

As a single female, I have never actually felt threatened or anything, but there are definitely safer areas.

I love my apartment itself and I love Inchicore, it's a great area with lovely people for the most part, but there's that significant minority who give the place a really bad name.

Clancy Quay definitely looks good in terms of safety and security, and they have resident parking there too. They allow pets in some of their apartments, which is hard to find in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd avoid the Tramyard personally.

Advertisement