Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegan Dogs has anyone tried it

• 30-12-2020 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found this clip with a dog owner who put her dog on a vegan diet, which apparently the dog loved and it was more palatable for the dog.

There is an interesting taste test at the end where Storm the dog makes his/her choice.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Vegan Dog dieting?

----

Also mods I was unsure where to put this?

Vegan thread, Pets thread, Dieting, Nutrition? etc.

So I went for the safe option. After hours thread. As I don't want to be eaten alive! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah she is a liar.

Dogs can't go vegan.

Pretty much if you make your dog go vegan ...you don't like dogs and are not a dog person.

Vegan humans ..fine go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Put an Angus Steak in one food tray and that stuff in another, let the dog decide if they are Vegan or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That’s ruff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Closing & moving to Pets.

Local mods will decide if re-opening.

Abide by local charter if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please be aware that it is a requirement of this forum that posters be civil to each other.

Thread reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

my dogs eat tons of veg sweet potatoes brocoli carrots with their small meat allowance i think they would riot if i took the meat away i usually boil a chicken and freeze the stock to add to the dry food as well. They eat almost better than me but they would be mad without a small amount of meat a tin so sardines or mackeral is enough just to flavour the veg. So 100% vegan no but we do our best to keep the meat down to the lowest possible number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Dogs are not vegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I have to say, ours eat veg, fruit, meat and some grains. I try to keep it balanced, but not in a million years would I force a lifestyle choice on my pets. It would be one thing if I decided to be vegan, but I believe it to be unethical to force that on a sentient being that couldn’t make their own choice. At any rate, dogs are omnivores so most will eat anything if given half a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

An ideological stance too far!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dogs need meat , simple as

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Plenty of vegetarian pet choices out there.
    Hamsters,rabbits and gerbils are great fun and if you have the space maybe a goat or a minature pony.
    Dogs are mostly carnivourus-best not to take one on if you have a problem feeding them meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Dogs eat meat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I read recently enough about a lady that did this and the dog suffered serious health issues because of it, possibly fatal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think people are mixing up dogs and rabbits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try googling " vegan dogs" and learn ….

I did that as I wondered how dogs fared in communities where meat was all but unobtainable..

Dogs can live safe and healthy on a vegan diet.

I had a discussion once at the cat food shelves with a vegan lady who was concerned about cats

Cats are " obligate carnivores" ; Dogs are omnivores. Big difference

Much the same as we are. As long as nutritional needs are met?

And have a look at the ingredients on any dog food you are using?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

From a biological perspective, calling dogs omnivores is not accurate. It is widely accepted amongst vets and canine nutritionists that dogs are carnivores with an ability to digest some non-meat nutrients. This does not make them omnivores. They could perhaps more accurately be described as not-quite-obligate carnivores.
    Biologically and physically, they are carnivores. They absolutely must have significantly more meat in their diet, than non-meat.
    For the record, apart from a tiny cohort of people who advocate veganism for dogs, the only modern sources that seem to argue to the contrary are dog food companies that sell cheap, high-cereal foods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DBB wrote: »
    From a biological perspective, calling dogs omnivores is not accurate. It is widely accepted amongst vets and canine nutritionists that dogs are carnivores with an ability to digest some non-meat nutrients. This does not make them omnivores. They could perhaps more accurately be described as not-quite-obligate carnivores.
    Biologically and physically, they are carnivores. They absolutely must have significantly more meat in their diet, than non-meat.
    For the record, apart from a tiny cohort of people who advocate veganism for dogs, the only modern sources that seem to argue to the contrary are dog food companies that sell cheap, high-cereal foods!

I thought that until I read around it. It goes deeper.

And your last para is off the mark!

There are many expert and conscientious owners out there who agree re vegan diet for dogs. It makes sense.

On this we will agree to differ of course ;) End of discussion for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Are dogs not obligate carnivores??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Antares35 wrote: »

No. Cats are.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    No. Cats are.

Interesting. I think my dog would leave home if I put her on a vegan diet!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    I thought that until I read around it. It goes deeper.

And your last para is off the mark!

There are many expert and conscientious owners out there who agree re vegan diet for dogs. It makes sense.

On this we will agree to differ of course ;) End of discussion for me

Dogs' digestive systems are too short for them to break down much of the plant material they consume. You can give your dog all the veg you want but they'll absorb a pitiful amount of the nutrients.

There is no 'agree to disagree'. You are objectively wrong.

Not obligate, they are to some extent able to digest starches (their ability to do this is better than wolves', but people often misinterpret this to mean that they're as good as any omnivore at it... they're not.) Unfortunately, this seems to have led a small cohort of people to believe that a non-meat diet is okay. But it's not! Physically and biochemically, dogs are all carnivore, with a sideline in being able to digest starches to some extent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Graces7 wrote:
    Dogs can live safe and healthy on a vegan diet.

Dogs can potentially survive on a vegan diet. It is neither safe nor healthy, and they most certainly do not thrive.

I can't help but wonder about your sources, as it's well established within the veterinary and dietitian communities that vegan diets are not appropriate for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mine would probably be happy in a vegan diet but he has a weakness for chicken. My last dog would not entertain any food that wasn’t meat

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mine would probably be happy in a vegan diet but he has a weakness for chicken. My last dog would not entertain any food that wasn’t meat

Was giving the baby a smoothy snack one day and the dog was begging, so I showed her a bit so she could satisfy herself she didn't like it. It was a peach, coconut and strawberry concoction.

She couldn't get enough of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Just because some dogs love fruit & veg, doesn’t mean they should be given a vegan diet unless warranted by a medical diagnosis, I don’t mean one that is self declare from some ridiculous online source. I’m not trying to soap box, this is one of those things that really upsets me. I mean, if I choose to be vegan, then that’s one thing, it’s another thing to force it on a sentient being that ultimately can’t choose for themselves. Putting a bowl of veg and and a bowl of meat down to test the dogs preference isn’t a scientific or evidence based test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

This nonsense surely is a sign that western society is on the verge of collapsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Allergies aside everytime you want to give your dog a new vegetarian food you have to check if it can kill them, eg grapes. However You can give them a piece of any regular meat and have zero worries.

I think that says alot about where dogs are on the carnivore to vegan scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Allergies aside everytime you want to give your dog a new vegetarian food you have to check if it can kill them, eg grapes. However You can give them a piece of any regular meat and have zero worries.

Yep and added to that you’ll also need to supplement for everything they’re not getting in their diet because you’re not feeding meat/bone/organ anymore.

• Advertisement

Haha that's very true, a good way of putting it. I'm forever googling things like "Is mango safe for dogs". Obviously never even have to think about meats.

I don't eat meat myself but my dogs most certainly do and I'm more than happy to prepare it for them. Was it Lewis Hamilton that was advocating this recently? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Put any Dog in a backyard with a mouse or rat and watch what happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Haha that's very true, a good way of putting it. I'm forever googling things like "Is mango safe for dogs". Obviously never even have to think about meats.

I don't eat meat myself but my dogs most certainly do and I'm more than happy to prepare it for them. Was it Lewis Hamilton that was advocating this recently? Jesus wept.

That man is a moron of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

cocker5 wrote:
    Interesting post on this ..

"These are the sorts of studies you do not hear discussed by dry-feeding vets the world over because it does not suit the narrative"

And this, right here, tells you everything you need to know about that self promoting article. I'd be taking everything in it with a large pinch of salt as the author is clearly just pushing their book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

cocker5 wrote: »

He says
    We know cereal-based pet food rarely contains more than a token amount of “meat”, usually in meal form and meal is surely the among. the lowest forms of protein on the planet. In fact, if your product says “with beef” there can be as little as 3% meat meal in there.

And uses this as justification for going fully plant based.
    That is like someone saying sure I eat junk food most of the time and I'm still alive so I may as well eat it all the time.
    The alternative to crappy dog food that contains feck all meat isn't go full veggie, it is increase the amount of meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Dogs clearly have the teeth of a carniviore. Dogs love meat. I've seen vegan arguments that our teeth are nothing like a dogs, and by that logic it's okay for humans to go veggie. Now they've backflipped over their own logic, and the dog has to be a veggie as well.

It is incredibly cruel to a dog if you put them on a non-meat diet, and in my opinion you should not own a dog if that is your plan.

Give your dog a sausage, look at their eyes. They love the sausage. If you love your dog, let them enjoy their lives.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    He says
    We know cereal-based pet food rarely contains more than a token amount of “meat”, usually in meal form and meal is surely the among. the lowest forms of protein on the planet. In fact, if your product says “with beef” there can be as little as 3% meat meal in there.

And uses this as justification for going fully plant based.
    That is like someone saying sure I eat junk food most of the time and I'm still alive so I may as well eat it all the time.
    The alternative to crappy dog food that contains feck all meat isn't go full veggie, it is increase the amount of meat.

I don't know have we got our wires crossed here, but the author of that article (Conor Brady) most certainly is not using the quoted text as justification to go vegan... he would be a major advocate for the raw meat (with some veg) diet.
    He was quoting another author who produced research that suggested a vegan diet is fine for dogs.
    I'm not sure which of the 2 authors you're referring to though!:o

Advertisement