Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords hdc400 front and rear dash cam offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Saw this offer earlier.
    Can't find much on there hdc cameras.
    Anyone have Halfords fit them in before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Seems a comprehensive review here.

I had one of these fitted by Halfords about 18 months ago and to answer lots of questions here -

1. The app is pointless as it needs to download the video fully to the phone before you can view it - and the transfer is painfully slow. Far easier to pop out the SD card and put it in something else. although if you are not careful getting the SD card out it does have a tendency to suddenly pop out and fling itself across the car and disappearing.

2. The quality of the camera is 'OK' but not brilliant. If you are relying on this to read a number plate then you might be lucky, or you might not be depending on the lighting conditions - it can struggle in bright sunlight as well as in the dark.

3. The front and rear combination is good, as in the event of an accident it does give a full picture as to what happened.

4. No software to view the video is provided. I found that the Nextbase or the StreetGuardian software would work with it and the front / back cameras.

5. It only takes up to a 32GB card, which is generally enough for an hour or so of recording before it starts recording over itself. So really it is only good for something which happened on your last journey, but unless you are a DCW collecting clips that is fine.

6. It can interfere with DAB, but this can be reduced / eliminated if sufficient suppressors are put onto the cable in the right place. It can particularly be an issue in cars which use the rear demist as the aerial, like VW / Audi do.

7. The accident detection doesn't seem to be great as it is triggered by potholes and speedbumps.

As for the fitting by Halfords. Before I had mine fitted I had a chat with the person who was going to do the work to make sure that they seemed sensible and had some idea about what they were doing, e.g. how were they planning on wiring around the airbag in the A pillar - all seemed good so I went ahead and left them to it.

After they had finished all appeared good and neat and tidy, so paid an went home. Following day I noticed that one of the rubber tubes that connected the tailgate to the body where the wires needed to be run through was not clipped in properly and so would allow rain to get in. Then I realised it wasn't clipped in because the clip had been broken. And then I realised the clip had been broken at the other end as well.

Shall we just say I was not a happy bunny that they had broken both clips whilst fitting and didn't have the courage to admit it.

The result was that Halfords paid £250 for the local VW dealer to replace the rubber tube (you need to dismantle the tailgate and all the wiring to do so, and refunded the cost of the camera and fitting as an apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

honda boi wrote: »
    Saw this offer earlier.
    Can't find much on there hdc cameras.
    Anyone have Halfords fit them in before?

I can only speak for my own experience with Halfords - about 2 years ago got a Garmin 55 there including installation.

1) great camera - takes up so little of the windscreen compared to some dashcams (probably newer models now)

2) installation was fantastic all invisibly wired in, powered by car battery, on with car on, parking mode when off.

Very happy with service from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭alanbk

I can only speak for my own experience with Halfords - about 2 years ago got a Garmin 55 there including installation.

1) great camera - takes up so little of the windscreen compared to some dashcams (probably newer models now)

2) installation was fantastic all invisibly wired in, powered by car battery, on with car on, parking mode when off.

Very happy with service from them.

I had two cams fitted in Carrickmines and the installation was flawless. Highly recommended.

Advertisement