Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can all recyclable bin bags be used in brown bin?

Options
  • 30-12-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We have just moved into a new house and I'm confused about the brown bin bags. My bins are with Panda.

When on the phone to them they said I could use compostable bags straight from my bin, tie them up and throw into brown bin rather than throwing the food into the bin loosely.

I've got several bin bags and both say they are made from 100% recyclable material but does not list the word "compostable".

One is "Tesco bin bags" and "Killeen Refuse 80ltr bags".

It seems they are built for wheelie bins so if only compostable bags can be used I cant see why they would be sold if they are not suitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all

We have just moved into a new house and I'm confused about the brown bin bags. My bins are with Panda.

When on the phone to them they said I could use compostable bags straight from my bin, tie them up and throw into brown bin rather than throwing the food into the bin loosely.

I've got several bin bags and both say they are made from 100% recyclable material but does not list the word "compostable".

One is "Tesco bin bags" and "Killeen Refuse 80ltr bags".

It seems they are built for wheelie bins so if only compostable bags can be used I cant see why they would be sold if they are not suitable?

No, you need to get the greens ones

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=299685998

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=302533466

Available in all sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made of recycled materials ≠ compostable.

Those large bags are for lining refuse wheelie bins, not the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Made of recycled materials ≠ compostable.

Those large bags are for lining refuse wheelie bins, not the brown bin.

Thanks all, I've picked up the green bin liners. I didn't realise how expensive the compostable bags were so I think I'll just tie one big one to wheelie bin and toss food in loosely.

I now have multipl drawstring bags and others that I assume will go to waste.

The thick grey bags I got from tesco have the yellow drawstring to tie the bags after taking them out of the bin. These are only 50 ltr bags so are surely not meant for wheelie bin.

Are they suitable for throwing into the black bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

lightspeed wrote: »
    Thanks all, I've picked up the green bin liners. I didn't realise how expensive the compostable bags were so I think I'll just tie one big one to wheelie bin and toss food in loosely.

I now have multipl drawstring bags and others that I assume will go to waste.

The thick grey bags I got from tesco have the yellow drawstring to tie the bags after taking them out of the bin. These are only 50 ltr bags so are surely not meant for wheelie bin.

Are they suitable for throwing into the black bin?

They're probably the swing top bin liners to fit a large kitchen bin. Fine to use for general waste in your black bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw brennans bread said their wrappers can go in the brown bin, not sure what the refuse companies would say

https://brennansbread.ie/sustainability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw brennans bread said their wrappers can go in the brown bin, not sure what the refuse companies would say

https://brennansbread.ie/sustainability

I suppose if they're sure its commercially compostable, and if your refuse company composts commercially, then it shouldnt be an issue?
    Good that it can go in regular recycling though. More of my regular weekly products are coming in paper wrapping, toilet rolls and kitchen towel being a couple.

Advertisement