Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pudding thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great show on Netflix called Korean Pork Belly Rhapsody.
    If you are interested in meat and nose to tail consumption, this show might be of interest. If you are squeamish about meat and animals, maybe give it a miss.

Seems that Koreans, like most cultures, have black pudding. They appear to call theirs "Sundae".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Barcastle used to be the best you could get, now Dempseys would be most akin to it.

Mayo has a fine tradition of making good puddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sneem black pudding is amazing — if anybody knows how to get it in Dublin, let me know!

I used to get a work colleague (who visited Sneem often) to bring me back blocks of it. Used to get some funny looks in the office being handed a block covered in tinfoil. And it might have been more acceptable to say it was a kilo of cocaine rather than animal blood :)
    Father in law, who lives down in Kerry, sorts me out for my fix these days. I don't think it's easily available outside Sneem/Kerry.

I've really gone off most others at this stage. My puddings need to be soft, especially black pudding. I think Lidl's premium one is decent from recollection, but I usually give it a miss.

I'll get killed for saying this as a Mayo man, but I think Kelly's is overrated. And how some restaurants get away with putting Clonakilty on as a starter is beyond me. Fado fado, when we got married, I had to convince the hotel to switch to Sneem pudding over Clonakilty.... a hotel in Kerry!!! There's no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PARlance wrote: »
    I've really gone off most others at this stage. My puddings need to be soft, especially black pudding. I think Lidl's premium one is decent from recollection, but I usually give it a miss.

+1 on this and its only something Ive realised in the last few years and that came from the aforementioned Hugh Maguire himself. He told me to cut it one inch thick and fry it for 30-40 seconds on each side and no more. I did that and it is deliciously soft on the inside.

The vast majority of the time you get black pudding in a hotel or bed & breakfast it is way too overcooked and pretty hard inside. In a typical deli it is as hard as a rock.

I think a lot of people dont realise black pudding is already cooked when you buy it and because it is blood they think they need to cook the bejaysis out of it for safety sake. Thats not the case at all and it has a far better texture when just quickly flash fried for a short time.

There does seem to be a trend towards firm pudding, these days with a higher meat content.
    I like both sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

The black pudding from the whole hoggs butcher in honest to goodness market in glasnevin is excellent.

Best I ever had was one from a shop in ennistymon. It was local and cake shaped like sneem but was better than sneem. I never took down the name and haven't heard of it since but if anyone knows it please let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

budgemook wrote: »
    The black pudding from the whole hoggs butcher in honest to goodness market in glasnevin is excellent.

Best I ever had was one from a shop in ennistymon. It was local and cake shaped like sneem but was better than sneem. I never took down the name and haven't heard of it since but if anyone knows it please let me know!

Not sure if someplace near Inch used to do a cake shaped black pudding.

Water John wrote: »
    Not sure if someplace near Inch used to do a cake shaped black pudding.

Inch house do a pudding.
    Very nice as I remember but more expensive than another I've come across.
    SuperValu used to stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Anyone know if M&S have haggis in at the moment?
    Completely escaped me that Burns night is coming up, I'd usually pick up a regular and veggie McSweens haggis.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Anyone know if M&S have haggis in at the moment?
    Completely escaped me that Burns night is coming up, I'd usually pick up a regular and veggie McSweens haggis.

Got it there about a week ago.
    I really, really like their haggis.

If you aren't hung up on being too traditionalist, here's an idea for your turnips.

Miso turnips.
    Just cube your turnip (swede) and cooks gently in butter until soft - around 15 minutes. When soft add a teaspoon of miso and stir to coat.

This is really good with haggis but really good, generally.
    Mrs. Beer is addicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Got it there about a week ago.
    I really, really like their haggis.

If you aren't hung up on being too traditionalist, here's an idea for your turnips.

Miso turnips.
    Just cube your turnip (swede) and cooks gently in butter until soft - around 15 minutes. When soft add a teaspoon of miso and stir to coat.

This is really good with haggis but really good, generally.
    Mrs. Beer is addicted.

Thanks - had hear M&S were short on some stuff. McSweens is the only haggis I could recommend (I used to live next to their shop), many others are pure slop.

The miso turnip sounds interesting, for another day. I'll have my Burn's Night neeps as nature intended though!

Now to get the ingredients for my cranachan, mmmm!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was going to recommend Hugh Maguires smoked black pudding when I saw this thread and see it's been mentioned a few times already. Its probably the only thing I make sure to have in my fridge all the time. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

The only one I could compare in the same league as it would be the Annascaul black. Had that as a starter in Jack's restaurant in Cromane, Kerry when I was there and went to buy some the next day. It just seems to go with everything.

But the smoked black from Hugh Maguire is hard to beat imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

From the supermarket I like Kelly's for black and Rudds for white. Reading there about Hugh Maguires smoked black so will definitely try that out.

I got given a pack of the smoked black pudding and loved it , ( bought it a few times since ) , not too smokey but it's really soft more like a spanish or french pudding , I got it specifically to put in a bean stew ( with chorizo and pork belly ) ,
    Pure class ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I got given a pack of the smoked black pudding and loved it , ( bought it a few times since ) , not too smokey but it's really soft more like a spanish or french pudding , I got it specifically to put in a bean stew ( with chorizo and pork belly ) ,
    Pure class ..

I need to try this.
    Mark, where did you get it.
    I see JJ O Driscoll's, in Cork, stock it.
    Anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone know anywhere around Mayo or Galway that stock Hugh Maguires smoked black pudding, might just make an order off of their online store and freeze some stuff to make up the 40 euro minimum spend.

Hugh Maguires butcher shop is in Ashbourne, Co.Meath, its oppisite the McDonalds and in the same shopping centre as the Tesco

Otherwise a full list of other stockists is here
    https://hughmaguirebutchers.com/the-smokin-butcher/where-to-buy/
    If going to Fallon & Byrne I would ring in advance to make sure its in stock as it wasnt the last time I was in about a month ago. Selfridges in London also stock it for anyone over that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

dobman88 wrote: »
    Was going to recommend Hugh Maguires smoked black pudding when I saw this thread and see it's been mentioned a few times already. Its probably the only thing I make sure to have in my fridge all the time. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

The only one I could compare in the same league as it would be the Annascaul black. Had that as a starter in Jack's restaurant in Cromane, Kerry when I was there and went to buy some the next day. It just seems to go with everything.

But the smoked black from Hugh Maguire is hard to beat imo.

Is Annascaul black pudding difficult to get now? Often got it in Garvey's Super Valu in Castleisland but no sign of it when I went looking for it last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is Annascaul black pudding difficult to get now? Often got it in Garvey's Super Valu in Castleisland but no sign of it when I went looking for it last week.

I've honestly no idea. I live in Meath. Havent had it since I was home. Picked it up in Dingle super value last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

List of stockists here. https://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/stockists
    Mostly in Kerry but some in Dublin and 1 in Cork.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Sneem black pudding is amazing — if anybody knows how to get it in Dublin, let me know!

Got this yesterday in Toons Bridge store - Georges street

https://www.toonsbridgedairy.com/pages/dublin-shop

Really enjoyed it, especially the texture and consistency.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 EoinMoran

Anybody have any idea where I could get some morcilla (Spanish black pudding) in Dublin or available for delivery ?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

They had Spanish blood sausage in Toons as well. Great selection.

Didn't know Toby Simmonds had opened a shop in Dublin. Would be a good option for any European foods as Toby also owns The Real Olive Co. That is what he started with. The Toonsbridge Dairy is something he started later with Johnny Lynch. They split and Johnny makes Macroom Mozzerella.

ryaner777 wrote: »
    They had Spanish blood sausage in Toons as well. Great selection.

Brilliant stuff, morcilla is delicious so I'll be getting some of that. Have asked for it in Fallon & Byrne and Dollard & Co over the years but they have never stocked it. Great that theres finally a stockist in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been trying a few different black puddings recently. I've had De Róiste, Rudds, O' Flynns and Rosscarbery. The Rosscarbery was definitely the best of that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just had the LIDL deluxe black pudding and it was lovely.
    Think it was produced by Loughnane's of Galway (based on EC code) but can't find the branded product in Dublin.

The pudding had a mild flavour, not overly spiced \ kick \ pepper to it. It is oatmeal and beef based.

Any recommendations, black and white, for 'mild' i.e. not overly spiced puddings?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Loughnanes have ruined Rudds anyway since they bought the brand, gone from a lovely smooth product to one full of meal chasing the Clonakilty market.

For your requirement I’d definitely go Annascaul for the black. Smooth but very mild on the spice front.

I can understand local special products having a premium, both in product and price. But just to compare general pricing:
    Lidl/Loughnanes €3.30/kg
    O'Herlihys Cork €7.90/kg
    Clonakilty €10.00/kg

Now, only a personal preference would distinguish between these , general puddings. Clon would be my least favourite.

What prices do Sneem and Annascaul come at? They should rebrand the Annascaul as Tom Crean black pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Water John wrote: »
    I can understand local special products having a premium, both in product and price. But just to compare general pricing:
    Lidl/Loughnanes €3.30/kg
    O'Herlihys Cork €7.90/kg
    Clonakilty €10.00/kg

Now, only a personal preference would distinguish between these , general puddings. Clon would be my least favourite.

What prices do Sneem and Annascaul come at? They should rebrand the Annascaul as Tom Crean black pudding.

Bought some Sneem black pudding yesterday. Just had it for brekkie. Really good. Think it was €3.50/4ish for 400g ish. Receipt and packaging in the bin!

Excellent though. Crispy outisde, soft in the middle. Fresh blood too.

• Advertisement

Is the Sneem black pudding being talked about by a butchers called Burns? Thats what I got, it says both Burns Butchers and Sneem Black Pudding on the label, it was 4.95 for 400g in Toonsbridge.

Cant say Im a fan of it. The smoothness and consistency is very good but it seems to have more oatmeal in it than actual blood. Tastes that way to me and the ingredients list oatmeal first which usually indicates its the primary ingredient. I dont like Clonakility for the same reason as well, too much oatmeal.

Can the others mentioned like de Roiste, Annascaul, etc be found anywhere in Dublin? Had a look in Fallon and Byrne and they only seem to sell Jane Russels black pudding along with her sausages.

Advertisement