Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny film locations

• 30-12-2020 2:09pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I watched Barry Lyndon a few nights ago, and I was amazed by how magnificent it looks. I knew before watching it that part of it was filmed in Kells priory. I know Kilkenny locations have appeared in a few films such as Lock up your daughters, Inistioge in Circle of friends, also there's that old British clip of the tans driving up the hill that appeared in Michael Collins and in documentaries, Callan for Breakfast on Pluto. Wolfwalkers is set in a fictionalized Kilkenny and like Barry Lyndon it is visually magnificent. Are there many other films that have been recorded in Kilkenny?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

Inistioge also appears in Widows Peak and The Secret Scripture movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I watched Barry Lyndon a few nights ago, and I was amazed by how magnificent it looks. I knew before watching it that part of it was filmed in Kells priory. I know Kilkenny locations have appeared in a few films such as Lock up your daughters, Inistioge in Circle of friends, also there's that old British clip of the tans driving up the hill that appeared in Michael Collins and in documentaries, Callan for Breakfast on Pluto. Wolfwalkers is set in a fictionalized Kilkenny and like Barry Lyndon it is visually magnificent. Are there many other films that have been recorded in Kilkenny?

Weird just watched that last night, I had never heard of it before. Didn't realise Kilkenny made an appearance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Weird just watched that last night, I had never heard of it before. Didn't realise Kilkenny made an appearance.

26196471_573038979701576_7181041034531393888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=36mqg8z7IUIAX9BJ-ES&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1b01d49f218c343d1d3a207e1aee19e0&oe=6017A740

I'd love to know where the opening scene was filmed, probably Waterford. I found the story OK, but it looks visually amazing, and I wouldn't be the most arty person in the world. I'm going to do a little Barry Lyndon tour once we're out of COVID.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Kevin's World - iconic

Also, not a film, but The Riordans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Was it Circle of Friends that had scenes of rugby games and Trinity College in Dublin? If so all those were filmed in St Kierans College as it looked like Trinity in the background.

The small pitch by the handball alleys as you come in from the Callan Road was used.for the game scenes with one set of goal posts swapped out for larger rugby posts.

Students were used for extras on the sidelines if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Circle of Friends, The Parade Kilkenny.
    They actually put a complete facade over the ESB offices to make it look period correct.

Circle-Friends.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Lock up your daughters was filmed in Kilkenny City in 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXKoTsKT34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hi5 wrote: »
    They actually put a complete facade over the ESB offices to make it look period correct.

Circle-Friends.jpg

That number 6 bus was a disaster, never on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Langrishe Go Down - a racy little number starring Jeremy Irons and Judi Dench set in South Kilkenny and Waterford; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbBO2PfzUI
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2015/1009/733615-howjudi-dench-and-jeremy-irons-scandalised-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »

Circle-Friends.jpg

Dreadful eyesore that- should be either demolished or rejigged to fit the streetscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

26196471_573038979701576_7181041034531393888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=36mqg8z7IUIAX9BJ-ES&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1b01d49f218c343d1d3a207e1aee19e0&oe=6017A740

I'd love to know where the opening scene was filmed, probably Waterford. I found the story OK, but it looks visually amazing, and I wouldn't be the most arty person in the world. I'm going to do a little Barry Lyndon tour once we're out of COVID.

I've started watching it now - been meaning too for a long time. Some of those early scenes on the river bank look like they were filmed on whats now Faithlegg golf course or on the slope of the Minaun with the Suir and the verdant fields of south Kilkenny in the background. If they recreated it now, we'd be looking at gantrys and container ships at Belview Port. But I could be wrong.

Advertisement