Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options
  • 30-12-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-dies-after-being-shot-by-garda%C3%AD-following-standoff-in-co-dublin-1.4447470

He was wielding a knife in his garden and the gardaí tried to subdue him with non-lethal force before they shot at him five times, hitting him three times and killing him.

His family were in the house at the time but have been brought elsewhere.

A crazy situation with a very unfortunate outcome. Stuff like this happens here rarely enough that it's still shocking to me. I hope this isn't a precedent, especially after seeing the force with which the stupid gurriers on the Luas throwing bottles were manhandled off it.

I know the Gardaí like everyone else are at the end of their tether at the moment, but there's a worrying increase in violent apprehensions of offenders. Fair enough if it's warranted, but that guy literally brought a knife to a gun fight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Just spotted that now. Wasn't sure where Clonee actually was. The house is actually on the Dublin side of the border which would still not put it in Dublin City but more in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Unconfirmed reports that he robbed the local spar and stabbed the manager, was then chased back to his house and shot in the front garden.

Videos doing the rounds from the top window of the neighbours house. Shows him being worked on by ambulance and then taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Tzardine wrote: »
    Unconfirmed reports that he robbed the local spar and stabbed the manager, was then chased back to his house and shot in the front garden.

Videos doing the rounds from the top window of the neighbours house. Shows him being worked on by ambulance and then taken off.

If he’s stabbed someone in a violent robbery he deserved to be shot IMO. If that hadn’t happened and he’s carrying a knife I. The garden in the midst of some sort of breakdown then questions should be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

its so sad really ... he threatened staff at a shop with a knife and then did same to uniformed Gardai. And was later shot and died.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

If he stabbed somebody then he broke the law and deserves to be arrested and tried for violent assault. Are we America now where we shoot people and then decide what they're guilty of?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

seems very excessive if he only had a knife

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    If he stabbed somebody then he broke the law and deserves to be arrested and tried for violent assault. Are we America now where we shoot people and then decide what they're guilty of?!

From what I understand, gardai tried several non-lethal tactics, including tasers. He then tried to attack them with the knife and was shot once.

Seems totally above board to me.

Not saying he deserved a death sentence, but hard to find fault with the cops if that is true.

do you need to shoot five times,
    once in the leg would put anyone down

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Perhaps the next scumbag thinking of robbing with a knife will think again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

They won't aim for the legs as more chance of missing and a bullet going stray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Police and military the world over train to shoot into the torso.

phily2002 wrote: »
    They won't aim for the legs as more chance of missing and a bullet going stray

give over they are trained

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That would be great if he'd agree to stay still for you.

Untrue. Real life is different from the movies or computer games.

Plenty of videos online of people being shot in the legs and they keep coming.

In fact, plenty of videos of people being shot in the torso multiple times and they keep coming too.

Adrenaline is a powerful drug.

Have a look at "police activity" on YouTube to see these videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tpcl20 wrote: »

That doesn't happen there either.

He left them no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are shooting in the real world though.

Key difference.

You've never heard of fatal stabbings? The armed officers hqve to protect the public and protect themselves don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Nobody is trained to shoot for the legs. It's a TV myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I hope the staff in the shop are ok.

• Advertisement

it will be investigated so time will tell, seems too harsh from the little i've read anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sorry to see anyone die.
    Sorry for the officer who had to shoot him too.

Knives are scary and make an awful mess. Too many people carrying them and willing to use them. Should be a mandatory sentence for carrying a knife.

I'll speak for everyone here, we love killing here. A fair kill by the Gardai, now there are many more criminals to add to the body count, lets start with people who don't pay tax on their cars.

Nobody loves killing. Do you think the Garda who shot that man today went to work this morning wanting to kill? It's desperately sad, a human life was taken and the family of the dead are going through hell. So is the Garda who will have to live with it for the rest of his life. It didn't have to happen but if it wouldn't have happened at all if the dead man had not armed himself with a knife.

Sorry to see anyone die.
    Sorry for the officer who had to shoot him too.

Knives are scary and make an awful mess. Too many people carrying them and willing to use them. Should be a mandatory sentence for carrying a knife.

totally agree, but from what i've read the chap didn't seem in his right mind,
    or highly agitated as the IT put it, if he was shot in his garden who was he going to hurt ? Must be more to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Says someone who has no idea how quickly a knife can cause fatal injuries.

Nobody loves killing. Do you think the Garda who shot that man today went to work this morning wanting to kill? It's desperately sad, a human life was taken and the family of the dead are going through hell. So is the Garda who will have to live with it for the rest of his life. It didn't have to happen but if it wouldn't have happened at all if the dead man had not armed himself with a knife.

well if the garda did it unlawfully he'll get prosecuted himself so i hope for his sake there was a stone clad necessity to do it

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Says someone who has no idea how quickly a knife can cause fatal injuries.

I'm an expert in knives i make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Should the guards have borrowed a bread knife from one of the neighbors to make it fair?

Much harder to hit someone on the leg. If you miss the leg, that stray bullet could cause damage to someone else. This man was probably shot once and he continued to resist arrest, so they shot him again. Good police work in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am reading that tazers were used. How in the name of god did he not hit the deck after that, then be cuffed and removed from the scene.

Strange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement