Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

I can see this becoming a bigger issue over the next few days.

Lots of bored unemployed and unemployable idealists with plenty of time on their hands already angry that they are going into another lockdown just looking for something to have a match about.
    People with placebo educations who think their idealistic interpretation of reality.

A few days of rain could be the best thing that happens here.

And RIP to the young Irish man who died, his family are surely going through a horrid time, and thoughts with the Gardai who didnt go into work looking for something like this.

I'm sure that the man working in Spar didn't expect to end his year being in hospital either. C'est la vie??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

True.
    There are no winners in all this, terribly sad all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How so? If this happened in the US, the cops would have engaged earlier, and shot him. If this was in the UK for example, I presume the cops are authorised to use more 'non lethal' force, ... I presume you're in the 'the cops did nothing wrong' camp, as I am, but I'm just wondering out loud, if things were different, maybe things would have ended up differently

Edit, when was he pepper sprayed? I read it was twice, but I don't know if that was outside the house, or what happened between the shopping centre and him getting to there?

So, tell is how you would safely disarm a drug crazed maniac with a knife who already stabbed someone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

When I heard the initial details I didn't know he was black and my reaction was he got what he deserved, the Gardai had to preserve life.

Now that it emerged he's black every crank politician and person who has a problem with authority and the Gardai are creaming themselves with excitement.

We don't need to be importing America's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His colour should be irrelevant. His actions are the important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I'm all for scrotes getting their commupins. But it looked like he was shot in the back in the video.

The real question is why our armed Gardai only have little pea shooters and not 12 gauge shotguns and AR15s.

No need for 7 shots from an AR.
    1 to the bonce would have done the trick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

NIMAN wrote: »
    His colour should be irrelevant. His actions are the important thing.

So how many people have the garda shot dead in the last 30 years ?
    Then there's this case, what's different about this one than much more serious and dangerous crimes over the last 30 years ?
    Seems obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I'm sure that the man working in Spar didn't expect to end his year being in hospital either. C'est la vie??

Yep, probably the biggest and only innocent victim in all of this.

Play with fire and you get burned, sign up to the ARU and someday you might have to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

True.

Going by his previous record I would say society is a winner.

This may sound callous but I'm a firm believer of the right to defend oneself and that's exactly what the guards had to do.

Feel terrible for his family and even worse for the guard who will relive this moment every day of his life and will always be second guessing as to wether he could have done anything else that would have bought about a different outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

True.

Only one person to blame.

So how many people have the garda shot dead in the last 30 years ?
    Then there's this case, what's different about this one than much more serious and dangerous crimes over the last 30 years ?
    Seems obvious to me.

Very very very few thankfully.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

When I heard the initial details I didn't know he was black and my reaction was he got what he deserved, the Gardai had to preserve life.

Now that it emerged he's black every crank politician and person who has a problem with authority and the Gardai are creaming themselves with excitement.

We don't need to be importing America's problems.

Same as myself, tragic case, which it is. I am disgusted that Labour politicians, though holding back initially are now looking like they are itching for this to be more than what it is, now that the ethnicity of the deceased is known. That is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

If he was white, nobody would give a ****. The world is totally nuts, certain characters trying to spin things into a race war. It’s not, he assaulted someone, he walked around brandishing a knife and swung it at a guard, end of, black, white, brown, blue, would have been the same outcome. It is sickening the amount of apologising for a total gourier.

Why should we give a **** about someone who smashes a mans nose, pulls a knife on staff and swings at a guard with a knife.

Very very very few thankfully.

that's the point Lawrence, what was the difference here ?
    The elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,271 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If he was white, nobody would give a ****. The world is totally nuts, certain characters trying to spin things into a race war. It’s not, he assaulted someone, he walked around brandishing a knife and swung it at a guard, end of, black, white, brown, blue, would have been the same outcome. It is sickening the amount of apologising for a total gourier.

Why should we give a **** about someone who smashes a mans nose, pulls a knife on staff and swings at a guard with a knife.

Very true, if he was a white common or garden scumbag, nobody would care much about his "mental health".
    Chu, DIY activists and assorted do-gooders would be conspicuously silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Way to many do gooders in this world, the man had a knife, threatened people in a shop, wouldn't drop the knife or hand himself in, then went for the cops with knife. Gets shot. Play with fire you get burnt.

My question is, do you want another Adrian Donohoe situation where an innocent man gets killed doing his job or some lad walking the streets with a machete.

Well done garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So, tell is how you would safely disarm a drug crazed maniac with a knife who already stabbed someone ?

I have to say, that is the biggest knife I've seen, ever. WTF would someone have that in the house for? Smashing through the wild rainforests of West Dublin?

'im going down Spar ma'

'dont forget your machete love'.

Any thug bringing this type of chaos to a community needs appropriate intervention. Whether they have ginger curls, brown skin, yellow skin, white skin or whatever.

God help the Garda involved faced with that and also the man's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Twitter is a very scary place when you see how easy it is for people (not even living here) with an agenda to stoke a fire.

This is going to get out of hand.

Anyone who doesn't go along with the narrative that he was shot purely because of race will be labelled a racist.

More "equality" to follow at the expense of god knows what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Hijpo wrote: »
    Twitter is a very scary place when you see how easy it is for people (not even living here) with an agenda to stoke a fire.

Majority of posts I have seen are not from Irish people at all, fans the flames and then sits back. Shower of clowns to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Yup, some tweets saying how’s his death was due to racism have over 33,000 likes and retweet’s. Even on Instagram there was a post saying the guards deliberately shot him because he was black got 17,000 likes.

i agree, the gardas face was all over twitter yesterday, and while i think they used way too much force that can't be allowed.
    They'll have to put his family in protection for fear of reprisals, i think his career in the garda is over one way or another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The real question is why our armed Gardai only have little pea shooters and not 12 gauge shotguns and AR15s.

No need for 7 shots from an AR.
    1 to the bonce would have done the trick!

The standard issue pistol is the SIG Sauer P226 9mm while the Heckler & Koch HK416 assault rifle - a similar weapon to the AR rifle - and Heckler & Koch MP7 personal defense weapon - a weapon that is an intermediary between a submachine gun and an assault rifle - are their heavier weapons

There's no guarantee that a person who is shot will be incapacitated immediately after one or more shots regardless of what weapon is used.
    It all depends on shot placement and injury and the degree of pain or shock the person who is shot can endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

i agree, the gardas face was all over twitter yesterday, and while i think they used way too much force that can't be allowed.
    They'll have to put his family in protection for fear of reprisals, i think his career in the garda is over one way or another.

Why do you think he used too much force?

There no elephant in any room.

Every shooting is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Blue? what like smurfs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There is no difference those that were shot in the past were every bit as stupid as this lad. Holding a weapon and refusing to relinquish is never going to end well when in the sights of armed members of a police force. He was an idiot he is now a dead idiot and joins the ranks of the other idiots shot by AGS.
    I’ m sure his race is the difference you are trying to point out. Any sympathy for his victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

mrmanor wrote: »
    Yup, some tweets saying how’s his death was due to racism have over 33,000 likes and retweet’s. Even on Instagram there was a post saying the guards deliberately shot him because he was black got 17,000 likes.

Apparently there were 15 garda all with guns that shot him immediately.

Those kind of troll tweets are being seen by lunatics and the lunatics are acting on it.

• Advertisement

Why do you think he used too much force?

15 armed men against one mentally ill man in his front garden,
    it was more like a fox hunt than an arrest, and the history of Garda shootings over 30 years would prove this isn't the norm and their reaction was not the norm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement