Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We are all entitled to our opinion weepsie, you shouldn't be forcing yours on everyone else.
    Especially as someone in a position of power on this forum.

Ehm what now? I'm a mod on an entirely unrelated forum.

I'm no more forcing mine than you are..I'm calling out your absolute drivel though because you're talking ****e and making up facts and untruths to suit a particular narrative. When cold out you selectively quote and/or change tact.

You're disingenuous at best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I guess Helen McEntee reckons there are more likes, retweets and votes to be got by her tweets.

If she can throw a few Gardai under the bus now she'll be delighted with herself, she'll be a hero.

Politics has gotten so populist it's depressing.
    Read the 3 tweets not just that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It's not great for the unfortunate garda who had to take this action against someone charging directly at them with a machete that the Minister for Justice is posting with sympathy on Twitter. Also Alan O Kelly TD, a few senators, and I am sure some more. Wholescale importation of Identity politics from the US. Two Saint Georges canonised in the one year, both extremely violent people, who targeted vulnerable people like the elderly and pregnant women. I find it all odd. The Minister should shut up and wait on the investigation before posting on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1344584936267919360?s=20

It can be a situation whereby the guard may have been justified using the necessary force, and yet this is still considered a tragedy, they aren’t mutually exclusive. It’s refreshing to see the minister display some empathy instead of the usual disdain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

We are all entitled to our opinion weepsie, you shouldn't be forcing yours on everyone else.
    Especially as someone in a position of power on this forum.

Cant see any forcing here though. Its just an opinion, a strong one. Correct IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I see arrangements have been made for a candle vigil in Eyre square Galway "Candle vigil for George who's life was stolen as a result of racism and hatred". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, how many times did the Guard have to shoot to stop the guy stabbing him? Seems like it was 4 or 5 times, do we need to look at the weapons they have and upgrade to something that has better stopping power to protect the Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I'd say it's the opposite. That politics has moved ever more away from the populist thought of the average man and woman on the street and ever more into niche identity politics and virtue signalling.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

begbysback wrote: »
    I agree, there is a justification for the need of aru in cases such as this, the only question I have is could it have been resolved without the killing of this man.

The scariest part of this unfortunate scenario is the blind acceptance that the outcome is acceptable without question.

He was asked to drop his weapon , he was pepper sprayed and trasered and still tried to attack a guard. What else could they have done?

Haha that's a very poor attempt Weepsie, you quoted me incorrectly, there was only one person with a thick answer here.
    Delighted to see a minister describe it as a tragedy, that will put the heat on this unjustified murder.

I didn't quite you incorrectly though. I quote you're quote and then I quote your follow up. Keep digging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The 3 tweets improve it a little, but not a lot tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

begbysback wrote: »
    It can be a situation whereby the guard may have been justified using the necessary force, and yet this is still considered a tragedy, they aren’t mutually exclusive. It’s refreshing to see the minister display some empathy instead of the usual disdain.

Is she as empathic to all gay bashers, violent robbers of old women, guys who work girls over with a hammer.

If not she is failing in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ehm what now? I'm a mod on an entirely unrelated forum.

I'm no more forcing mine than you are..I'm calling out your absolute drivel though because you're talking ****e and making up facts and untruths to suit a particular narrative. When cold out you selectively quote and/or change tact.

You're disingenuous at best

You clearly are Weepsie.
    It's hypocritical of you, also there is no need for name calling, particularly from a moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As Minister of Justice she should have allowed the investigation to be conducted as objectively and impartially as possible, no need to be messing around on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Heart of gold though, very good to his mum etc.

Peter Sutcliffe was kind to his mum also . Good job , for the sake of his victims , he hadn't got coloured skin ( ie he was a " whiteie " ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It's not great for the unfortunate garda who had to take this action against someone charging directly at them with a machete that the Minister for Justice is posting with sympathy on Twitter. Also Alan O Kelly TD, a few senators, and I am sure some more. Wholescale importation of Identity politics from the US. Two Saint Georges canonised in the one year, both extremely violent people, who targeted vulnerable people like the elderly and pregnant women. I find it all odd. The Minister should shut up and wait on the investigation before posting on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1344584936267919360?s=20

I don't understand why people are so upset by tweets like this.

A man has been killed, his friends and family are grieving.

If this was tweeted re friends and family of those effected by what happened at Kenturk would you also be offended ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

seamus wrote: »
    A threat is a threat. A knife is a deadly weapon, so many people are either ignorant of this or are seeking to deliberately downplay the seriousness of what this man was doing.

Knifes don't run out of bullets, they wont jam, they don't need maintained, they can be used as a deadly weapon again and again and again, they are only used with close contact so when being used against a person, they are very accurate and very effective.

I guess Helen McEntee reckons there are more likes, retweets and votes to be got by her tweets.

If she can throw a few Gardai under the bus now she'll be delighted with herself, she'll be a hero.

The people who are behind this fallen hero, I suspect are not familiar with a voting booth although ask for directions to the dole office no bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There doesn't seem to be many attending the vigil that has been organised. I think people have probably made up their own minds on this unfortunate incident given the videos that are in circulation. In one way the Gardaí are lucky the incident was caught on camera, there could be serious disorder if it wasn't.

It really highlights the need for Gardaí to be given body cameras which they've been calling for to be rolled out for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually I'd say it's the opposite. That politics has moved ever more away from the populist thought of the average man and woman on the street and ever more into niche identity politics and virtue signalling.

Which is why we are getting the election results we are seeing and Sinn Fein surging. God knows what bag of tricks they’ll bring to the table but I suspect we’ll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Get a nice little earner she wouldn't have a hope of getting in her own country. Yeah intelligent I guess.

Intelligent in a "cute hoor" sort of a way, countries full of em of all colours and none

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems like it was 4 or 5 times, do we need to look at the weapons they have and upgrade to something that has better stopping power to protect the Garda?
    Again O it's not like in the movies. People don't just stop when they're shot unless you hit something that cuts off motor function(brain, spine, limb joint). It can take a few shots to incapacitate someone, especially anyone fired up on adrenaline, drugs etc. If I'm bringing down a machete on your head and even if you shoot me through the heart that machete is still going to connect. I would imagine the Guard was using a 9mm pistol. Standard issue SIG Sauer IIRC? That packs a punch. Going up to something like a 45mm increases that of course, but also increases the risks of dangers to bystanders.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

To be fair, it doesn't seem as off when you read her 3 tweets together

I did. The tone is wrong and inappropriate to her official role. She is the Minister with direct responsibility for Justice, law and order etc. The Gardai are the arm of the state that keep the peace in Ireland. She has to support them when the sh1t hits the fan. She did not mention at all how traumatic it must have been for the garda who will live with that action for the rest of his/her life, when s/he was acting directly in the course of duty as authorised by the state, trying to protect other people from a machete-wielding person who had already hospitalised one victim and could not be subdued by other means. The Minister seems to be addressing one side of the audience in her tweets - sympathy, extremely traumatic, tragedy, investigation, anguish. It is a bias she should not display professionally, in my opinion. It also could feed incorrect biases about racial prejudice among the gardai, which is not a problem we have here, and encourage street activism which I feel is misplaced. An investigation will show what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

There doesn't seem to be many attending the vigil that has been organised. I think people have probably made up their own minds on this unfortunate incident given the videos that are in circulation. In one way the Gardaí are lucky the incident was caught on camera, there could be serious disorder if it wasn't.

It really highlights the need for Gardaí to be given body cameras which they've been calling for to be rolled out for years.

100% with you on the body cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Maybe she should be impartial and let GSOC have their investigation.

Did George's family make any attempt to stop him?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

seems very excessive if he only had a knife
    How aggressive you would be if faced with a knife-wielding man who has already used it on an innocent shop worker, who threatened your colleagues who stood up to being tazzed. Yeah "now come on son all is fine" would not have been the first thing that came into your mind or did you think it was only a knife because you were not going to cut your skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

I think it is likely to see an absolute disrespect for the current health restrictions and fear of being accused of racism will win out. This is a dangerous criminal who was stopped but the bleeding hearts will have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

I think that's very unfair. Obviously as a Minister for justice she cannot just come out and tweet exactly what 99.99% of the people in the country think. She has to appear balanced. But her tweet very clearly says her thoughts are with everyone who was involved in the incident and not just the dead man's family. i.e. The innocent victims and the Gardai also.

I think to be honest, that she has handled it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I think it's gone beyond the gardai investigating the Gardai now.
    It'll have to be an independent investigation to have any credence..

PSA: The Gardai dont investigate themselves anymore. There is an independent organsation set up a long time ago for this purpose.

It is shocking to see a Dublin academic who was a member of the Policing Authority, and served on the Commission on the Future of Policing actually retweeting incenary tweets that claim what happened was a murder. By all means policing in 2020 isnt perfect and could be improved, hopefully less killed during arrest but there isnt a shred of evidence that Gardai did anything wrong given available resources. This women claimed in a recent interview that the fact that travellers are overrepresented in prison implies the gardai are racist.

noinc wrote: »
    I think it is likely to see an absolute disrespect for the current health restrictions and fear of being accused of racism will win out. This is a dangerous criminal who was stopped but the bleeding hearts will have a field day.

They’ll move on soon enough. I don’t think we will have LOI players taking the knee for this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Which is why we are getting the election results we are seeing and Sinn Fein surging. God knows what bag of tricks they’ll bring to the table but I suspect we’ll find out soon enough.

I was just wondering, how long before the " shinners " were somehow brought into this debate ?

Suppose , gotta deflect somehow from the Minister for Justice , and her chucking of the Gardai under the bus .

• Advertisement

You clearly are Weepsie.
    It's hypocritical of you, also there is no need for name calling, particularly from a moderator.

Again a moderator of another forum. There's nothing hypocritical in what I said though. Nothing whatsoever.

No need for name calling but if it looks like a duck and all that. Apologies, I'll revert to thinking you're willfully ignorant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement