Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

So much of the reaction to this is disappointing but luckily social media, whether here or twitter, is only a tiny subset of society, much of it well extreme.

The chest thumping "it's not a tragedy" brigade glorying in a man's death are as bad as the SJW, race card playing Trots on twitter. This is a tragedy. All reasonable people will see it as that but they will also reject the people trying to bring US style race politics into this incident.

Well summed up. Yesterdays events were a tragedy for all involved. For the shopkeeper who was assaulted and left with facial injuries not to mind the mental trauma of being attacked like that. For the Gardai who had to deal with a violent attacker wielding a knife and attempting to slash them with it. For the Gardai who felt they had to take a man's life to protect their own safety while doing their job. And finally for the attacker it too was tragic that his life was ended. However, he had a choice and his decision to not surrender to the Gardai ultimately caused his death. Too many on social media on both extremes of the political spectrum are using this tragedy to further their narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BnB wrote: »
    I think that's very unfair. Obviously as a Minister for justice she cannot just come out and tweet exactly what 99.99% of the people in the country think. She has to appear balanced. But her tweet very clearly says her thoughts are with everyone who was involved in the incident and not just the dead man's family. i.e. The innocent victims and the Gardai also.

I think to be honest, that she has handled it very well.

She could not tweet......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Leafyellow111

Is there many at it?

Different videos. Last one I seen maybe 30/40. Even if people say it's not that many (it is) its a massive slap across the face to what everyone else in the country has to go through because of the lockdowns. Imagine losing your job, your business, your home because of lockdown then you see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

BnB wrote: »
    Firstly, just to be clear, I am one of the 99% who believes the Gardai did their job here and I support them 100%. I am only defending Helen McEntee's tweet.

Let's face it, given her position she could not just come straight out and say what you have said above, as much as she may agree with it.

If you look at her tweet, she doesn't describe yer man's death as a tragedy.... She clearly describes the events in Hartstown as a tragedy and that her thoughts are with everyone involved. I think that is very carefully constructed to not try and glorify yer mans death and to say this was a sh1t situation for everyone involved including the mans family, his innocent victims and the Gardai that had to deal with it.

I just think, given her position, it is a carefully well constructed tweet.

If you substitute the name Mark Hennessy for George Nchenko, do you feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Is it a case that tasers don’t really work or not effective on some?
    We have seen this several times. Taser first , gun second ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It's not great for the unfortunate garda who had to take this action against someone charging directly at them with a machete that the Minister for Justice is posting with sympathy on Twitter. Also Alan O Kelly TD, a few senators, and I am sure some more. Wholescale importation of Identity politics from the US. Two Saint Georges canonised in the one year, both extremely violent people, who targeted vulnerable people like the elderly and pregnant women. I find it all odd. The Minister should shut up and wait on the investigation before posting on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1344584936267919360?s=20

And Ebun Joseph is doubling down.
    I mean, why wouldn't ya when your whole 'career' and lifestyle depends on being a racist and inciting hatred.
    https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1344590490151301120?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

So much of the reaction to this is disappointing but luckily social media, whether here or twitter, is only a tiny subset of society, much of it well extreme.

The chest thumping "it's not a tragedy" brigade glorying in a man's death are as bad as the SJW, race card playing Trots on twitter. This is a tragedy. All reasonable people will see it as that but they will also reject the people trying to bring US style race politics into this incident.

Maybe we are getting too much into the semantics of the word tragedy here but to me a tragedy is where someone loses their life in an accident or through no fault of their own. This could be an accident or else they were an innocent victim.

The first victims of this is the shop workers, who thankfully didn't lose their lives.
    The deceased was of course a victim in some sense but to me is not an innocent victim so I don't think this should be described as a tragedy.

ill reserve that word for truly tragic things like what happened that family up in Donegal a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Over 4000 people have already signed a petition online for Justice for George. It says
    A young black man was fatally shot dead by Garda on the 30th of December 2020. 12 Garda followed him home, and shot him outside of his home THREE TIMES. George Nkencho suffered from a mental illness.There were five Garda with guns and George was carrying a knife. George was known to have a mental illness and we believe between the 12 Garda that followed him home.

Followed him home? Is this some kind of euphemism for police correctly responding to a violent attempted murder by machete in a shop?

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    And Ebun Joseph is doubling down.
    I mean, why wouldn't ya when your whole 'career' and lifestyle depends on being a racist and inciting hatred.
    https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1344590490151301120?s=20

Twitter needs to slap that unverified message under her Tweets..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

All deaths are tragic. I can understand desire to offer condolences to family. It is just a problem she is been seen to lean against the gardai and it is also a problem that this death is being treated totally different to the killing of Mark Hennessy. It is a problem we treat some citizens who haappen to have more pigmentation superiorly just because of what happened hundreds of years ago on a different continent.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dr ebun Joseph is a race baiter and should be completely ignored. Disgusting comments by her and very much in the realms of hate speech

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

More nuanced comments fro the Tánaiste, who is notably a TD for the area. Rightly so.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1344612520175271936

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1344612656783765504

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I hope RTÉ don’t wheel out that Joseph wan for comment..... to spew her vile and ignorant views. Talk about a hateful person

Masala wrote: »
    I hope RTÉ don’t wheel out thr Joseph wan for comment..... to spew her vile and ignorant views. Talk about a hateful person

Email them if they do, report her inaccurate and divisive tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It's not great for the unfortunate garda who had to take this action against someone charging directly at them with a machete that the Minister for Justice is posting with sympathy on Twitter. Also Alan O Kelly TD, a few senators, and I am sure some more. Wholescale importation of Identity politics from the US. Two Saint Georges canonised in the one year, both extremely violent people, who targeted vulnerable people like the elderly and pregnant women. I find it all odd. The Minister should shut up and wait on the investigation before posting on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1344584936267919360?s=20

I'm keeping tabs, so far:

Lynne Ruane (Independent, Senator)
    Alan Kelly (Labour TD, only the bloody leader)
    Helen McEntee (Fine Gael TD only the actual Minister of Justice)
    Hazel Chu (Green councillor, Mayor of Dublin City)
    Paul Murphy (TD, 'RISE')

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

More nuanced comments fro the Tánaiste, who is notably a TD for the area. Rightly so.

He's a good politician/leader that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I see arrangements have been made for a candle vigil in Eyre square Galway "Candle vigil for George who's life was stolen as a result of racism and hatred". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, how many times did the Guard have to shoot to stop the guy stabbing him? Seems like it was 4 or 5 times, do we need to look at the weapons they have and upgrade to something that has better stopping power to protect the Garda?

Would be pretty badass if they were issued .44 magnum revolvers a la Dirty Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It’s amazing how stuff like this makes you realise how absolutely nuts some people you know are.

I deactivated my FB today, something I was always planning to do. I put a little message up to let people know I was taking a break. I got asked how I’d manage without being in the loop with all these social issues etc and said I don’t need or want updates. I promptly got called out on my white privilege for being able to ignore racism!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I expect this thread will be closed pretty soon as the usual suspects are over on the current affairs feedback thread giving out about posting on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thats a classy statement from Leo.

No sarcasm intended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Granadino wrote: »
    To be effective the prongs the taser shoots have to make sufficient contact with the skin to pass the current between them. Then they're very effective and shut down a person pretty instantly. More than a bullet in many cases. A heavy jacket could stop that happening. That's if it was a taser gun, if it was of the handheld type that needs someone to get up close to the person that makes things a lot more difficult for obvious reasons. I'd presume it was the gun type though?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

All deaths are tragic. I can understand desire to offer condolences to family. It is just a problem she is been seen to lean against the gardai and it is also a problem that this death is being treated totally different to the killing of Mark Hennessy. It is a problem we treat some citizens who haappen to have more pigmentation superiorly just because of what happened hundreds of years ago on a different continent.

Yes all deaths are tragic, but why is one of someone has just hospitalised an innocent party worth a tweet over the thousands who die each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Well done Leo!!! Am hearing what you saying!! Wink wink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Granadino wrote: »

The tazer requires a good electrical contact with skin to be most effective. If you are wearing a padded jacket, it is not going to be effective. A person's physical body make up or the condition of their skin (mositure) also affects performance (conductivity).

The training demo situations that we all see, are set up for maximum effect - light clothing, perfect distance (penetrative force) application etc .In reality, as with other elements of this situation, what you see on TV or youtube, may not be the result that you get in real life/real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yes all deaths are tragic, but why is one of someone has just hospitalised an innocent party worth a tweet over the thousands who die each day.

All deaths are tragic. Some are just less tragic than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Twitter needs to slap that unverified message under her Tweets..

She really is very divisive. Instead of calming and reasoning. She knows the facts, at least the public facts and yet already goes on a crusade against this incident. She is actually in a position where she could do some good, and I'm not her no 1 fan, I can tell you. But she won't choose that it seems. Division sells.
    Had this happened to a white Irish person, would we hear from her? Would she have an opinion?if she was someone fully aware of her surroundings and had attempted to have a proper perspective on things she might.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closing this thread

The one in Current Affairs in now open again

I'm going to go through this thread. It may well result in action at forum and site level

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement