Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

seems very excessive if he only had a knife

Maybe they should have shot the knife out of his hand like in the cowboy films?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I am reading that tazers were used. How in the name of god did he not hit the deck after that, then be cuffed and removed from the scene.

Strange.

Not unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am reading that tazers were used. How in the name of god did he not hit the deck after that, then be cuffed and removed from the scene.

Strange.

It is quite common for tazers to be ineffective. Wearing big bulky clothing for example will often make them useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

tara2k wrote: »
    Much harder to hit someone on the leg. If you miss the leg, that stray bullet could cause damage to someone else. This man was probably shot one and he continued to resist arrest, so they shot him again. Good police work in my book.

i hear you honestly i just find it weird, the garda could have been 100% right for all i know, but it just feels excessive until we hear all the details, i haven't seen anything about him stabbing anyone just threatening and then walking home and getting tasered and then shot 5 times in his front garden

I have just seen a video of the shooting.

Totally justified. He was swinging at the cops with the knife.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

well if the garda did it unlawfully he'll get prosecuted himself so i hope for his sake there was a stone clad necessity to do it

The guy was armed with a knife and wouldn't put it down so he was shot. 100% justified.

Strange.

Easily done. He was probably wearing a heavy jacket, chunky sweater underneath, t-shirt under that etc

that would be impressive to be fair

Tpcl20 wrote: »

seeing the force with which the stupid gurriers on the Luas throwing bottles were manhandled off it.

Well deserved.

i hear you honestly i just find it weird, the garda could have been 100% right for all i know, but it just feels excessive until we hear all the details, i haven't seen anything about him stabbing anyone just threatening and then walking home and getting tasered and then shot 5 times in his front garden

The Gardaí should have let him stab somebody and then shot him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm an expert in knives i make them.

An "expert" who has no idea how quickly knives can cause fatal injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

totally agree, but from what i've read the chap didn't seem in his right mind,
    or highly agitated as the IT put it, if he was shot in his garden who was he going to hurt ? Must be more to it

Well they wouldn't want to have to follow him into the house if he went in and started slashing up the wife n kids and whoever else was in there

Having to follow him into the house will end in a mess

Get all slashed up for what ? A weeks wages ?

Easily done. After all, they are trained to use the gun.

Easily done. After all, they are trained to use the gun.

Police train to shoot into the centre mass - the chest and torso.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Well they wouldn't want to have to follow him into the house if he went in and started slashing up the wife n kids and whoever else was in there

yes fair point

Police train to shoot into the centre mass - the chest and torso.

For the person that said shoot the legs.

I just saw the video.

He was still standing and swinging the knife at gardai after 4 shots to the body.

The 5th shot took him down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

For anyone interested, the tueller principle explains how quickly a knife wielding attacker can get to you, therefore is a factor in when to administer lethal force.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

We'll have to see the detail but frankly if a situation has deteriorated enough to get the 'armed bastids' out then he deserved what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-dies-after-being-shot-by-garda%C3%AD-following-standoff-in-co-dublin-1.4447470

He was wielding a knife in his garden and the gardaí tried to subdue him with non-lethal force before they shot at him five times, hitting him three times and killing him.

His family were in the house at the time but have been brought elsewhere.

A crazy situation with a very unfortunate outcome. Stuff like this happens here rarely enough that it's still shocking to me. I hope this isn't a precedent, especially after seeing the force with which the stupid gurriers on the Luas throwing bottles were manhandled off it.

I know the Gardaí like everyone else are at the end of their tether at the moment, but there's a worrying increase in violent apprehensions of offenders. Fair enough if it's warranted, but that guy literally brought a knife to a gun fight.

A knife is a deadly weapon. They tried to use non lethal force, that wasn’t successful in bringing an end to the dangerous situation...

The responsibility for the man being dead, is on the man himself.

The Gardai need to protect themselves and the family. I’d imagine they gave him every encouragement, support and help to disarm and come peacefully.

Also there must have been a catalyst of sorts to them shooting him, using lethal force, either he posed a threat to the Gardai or he was attempting to go into the house to his family, in either scenario he needed to be stopped, he had a knife so unfortunately only one safe way of doing that....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have just seen a video of the shooting.

Totally justified. He was swinging at the cops with the knife.

Yeah wildly swinging the knife at the guards near him, feel sorry for the guard having to deal with this

• Advertisement

For a guaranteed kill.

No.
    To incapacitate an armed and dangerous person.
    If he didn't want to die he could have not gone around waving a knife and when the cops arrived surrendered and dropped the knife.
    Pretty simple to understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

its so sad really ... he threatened staff at a shop with a knife and then did same to uniformed Gardai. And was later shot and died.

RIP

What's sad about it?

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah wildly swinging the knife at the guards near him, feel sorry for the guard having to deal with this

I imagine there will some sort of handwringing statement from some left winger as to why a poor working class lad couldn't innocently swing a knife about the gaff without the wicked guards getting involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I imagine there will some sort of handwringing statement from some left winger as to why a poor working class lad couldn't innocently swing a knife about the gaff without the wicked guards getting involved...

Twitter is already afire with it.

'Black man shot by Gardai...' Christ

The guy that was shot was black.

There is a black lives matter protest happening at blanch garda Station now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FFS That’s the last thing we need.

Oh FFS. I'm not an "All Lives Matter" WUM but being black or whatever doesn't give anyone a free pass to endanger other people's lives.

Oh FFS. I'm not an "All Lives Matter" WUM but being black or whatever doesn't give anyone a free pass to endanger other people's lives.

yet you singled him out for his "class"

like i said earlier, that garda would want to have a watertight reason for frankly murdering a man in his own garden.

• Advertisement

like i said earlier, that garda would want to have a watertight reason for frankly murdering a man in his own garden.

Eh have you seen the video of the shooting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement